Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I don't think it matters what the superintendent wanted. I think the mayor and council wanted them to do whatever made things look worse in Stillwater than they really are. The mayor and especially Zinnotti and one other in the council want justification for their mask mandate. They can't argue with the fact that Stillwater was still doing fine even with hospitals and deaths without the mandate. They just wanted to be like Norman when they issued it even though Payne was much better off than whatever county Norman is in. Honestly if they'd just issued a recommendation that businesses encourage mask use, they'd have gotten the same amount of people wearing without the people who are pissed off. And they could have then just moved forward with in person schooling with masks and social distancing and kept the original plans in place. Instead they've now pissed off more people including teachers. And here we sit with at minimum September 28th before they can potentially put the kids back in school. I knew this was gonna happen when pulled the week delay, so we pulled our elementary kids and are homeschooling them. I had already looked at that edgenuity crap and knew we could do better than that busy work on a computer 4 hours a day.

Anyway, rant over.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I agree with everything you’re saying. I cannot stand this mayor. You’re right the guy is on a major power trip. When we got to zero cases back in the spring the guy never made a single comment about how it was good. It was almost like he was pissed off we got there. And now every time I hear him on the radio he’s constantly saying churches are the problem and will need to be shutdown if it doesn’t get any better.
You’re right about the masks. I’ve been in a lot of stores the last two weeks and I would guess it’s 99% compliance.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I don't think it matters what the superintendent wanted. I think the mayor and council wanted them to do whatever made things look worse in Stillwater than they really are. The mayor and especially Zinnotti and one other in the council want justification for their mask mandate. They can't argue with the fact that Stillwater was still doing fine even with hospitals and deaths without the mandate. They just wanted to be like Norman when they issued it even though Payne was much better off than whatever county Norman is in. Honestly if they'd just issued a recommendation that businesses encourage mask use, they'd have gotten the same amount of people wearing without the people who are pissed off. And they could have then just moved forward with in person schooling with masks and social distancing and kept the original plans in place. Instead they've now pissed off more people including teachers. And here we sit with at minimum September 28th before they can potentially put the kids back in school. I knew this was gonna happen when pulled the week delay, so we pulled our elementary kids and are homeschooling them. I had already looked at that edgenuity crap and knew we could do better than that busy work on a computer 4 hours a day.

Anyway, rant over.

I agree with everything you’re saying. I cannot stand this mayor. You’re right the guy is on a major power trip. When we got to zero cases back in the spring the guy never made a single comment about how it was good. It was almost like he was pissed off we got there. And now every time I hear him on the radio he’s constantly saying churches are the problem and will need to be shutdown if it doesn’t get any better.
You’re right about the masks. I’ve been in a lot of stores the last two weeks and I would guess it’s 99% compliance.
Makes me wonder if this guy even goes to church. Every church I know of in this town has either mask policies or social distancing or both and are not the spread of some massive outbreaks in this town. The only reason our numbers are going up is due to the college kids and even that's not something that really has to be worried about as much as he's trying to make it.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
"Current seroprevalence studies may fail to detect people who have had mild COVID. Specific consideration should be given to the calibration of assay thresholds, the breadth of the antibody response, and the role of mucosal antibody responses."

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3364

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
We'll see. Hasn't happened so far.
You are looking at the data the wrong way. If that data is accurate, it certainly shows that schools should not be closed
lol...

So, it hasn't happened yet, and I'm looking at the data wrong. Tell me how you know it hasn't happened yet, and tell me why it can't happen.

Jan 14, 2006
lol...

So, it hasn't happened yet, and I'm looking at the data wrong. Tell me how you know it hasn't happened yet, and tell me why it can't happen.
Pin this. Check back in 3 weeks or whatever time frame you choose. Positive cases on college campuses everywhere and no associated spike in hospitalizations is my prediction.

College kids hang out with college kids. Protect the elderly and obese and there won't be a huge increase in critical cases. There's plenty of data to support this and you know it.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Pin this. Check back in 3 weeks or whatever time frame you choose. Positive cases on college campuses everywhere and no associated spike in hospitalizations is my prediction.

College kids hang out with college kids. Protect the elderly and obese and there won't be a huge increase in critical cases. There's plenty of data to support this and you know it.
Just last week.

https://richmond.com/news/local/edu...cle_aa244a6d-fecc-5979-8018-eb784de62aa4.html

Just 2 days ago...
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/05/tcu-smu-football-coronavirus/

Mar 11, 2006
[
Your top link is EXACTLY why I said a couple of posts ago that you are looking at the data wrong.

The data shows that students are not being hospitalized. With school in session, students should take precautions, but they are most likely to spread to other students. On the other hand, if school close and demand students leave campus (as the example in your link), they will go back to their homes and hometowns and spread it to older people. This is the Wrong way to handle the situation.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
It’s now looking like the lockdowns may have been a huge mistake

Were lockdowns a mistake? To that nagging question, the answer increasingly seems to be yes.

Certainly, they were a novelty. As novelist Lionel Shriver writes, “We’ve never before responded to a contagion by closing down whole countries.” As I’ve noted, the 1957-58 Asian flu killed between 70,000 and 116,000 Americans, between 0.04 percent and 0.07 percent of the nation’s population. The 1968-70 Hong Kong flu killed about 100,000, 0.05 percent of the population.

The US coronavirus death toll of 186,000 is 0.055 percent of the current population. It will go higher, but it’s about the same magnitude as those two flus, and it has been less deadly to those under 65 than the flus were. Yet there were no statewide lockdowns; no massive school closings; no closings of office buildings and factories, restaurants and museums. No one considered shutting down Woodstock.

The new thinking on lockdowns, as Greg Ip reported in the Wall Street Journal last week, is that “they’re overly blunt and costly.” That supports President Trump’s mid-April statement that “A prolonged lockdown combined with a forced economic depression would inflict an immense and wide-ranging toll on public health.”

https://nypost.com/2020/09/06/its-now-looking-like-the-lockdowns-may-have-been-a-huge-mistake/

Jan 14, 2006

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Covid 19 is already making headlines again. American media is already blaming regular Americans for an overtly (feels like) manufactured crisis and an uptick in the numbers that will mostly be due to now counting probable cases. Sickest year ever and I'm not even talking about the Virus.

Don't forget to look for major headlines again tomorrow of this "new" imagined spike. You know why, you know what to do. Buck up, keep doing the right things and keep moving on with your life. Support local business, call for school to start if it hasn't in your district and for Gods Sake call for football to get going.

It's all good if we wear the mask, social distance, and wash our hands...health officials told us it was. :innocent::whistle:

Last edited:

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Covid 19 is already making headlines again. American media is already blaming regular Americans for an overtly (feels like) manufactured crisis and an uptick in the numbers that will mostly be due to now counting probable cases. Sickest year ever and I'm not even talking about the Virus.
I don’t understand why they don’t simply place the older newly discovered cases on the timeline where they fell....add them to the total....but not count them as new cases. It’s not a hard thing.

At this point I would not be surprised if all the numbers are not off by 25-30%...... in either direction. The physical look of the curves was a big thing to post a month or so back all the curves from around the world and then America’s. The obvious answer to the difference wasn’t response because response has varied all over the globe. The difference is accounting......

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Interesting information. If this means what I think it means then we should be opening America back up. I don't know the tweeter, so I linked the actual article below from Cambridge, As well as an article by an English Dr. that gives a summary.

https://twitter.com/ClimateAudit/status/1303024247510503424?s=19

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...restimation/7ACD87D8FD2237285EB667BB28DCC6E9#

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/09/04/covid-why-terminology-really-matters/