Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Hope everything works out with your son's wrist. My youngest got her hand stepped on in her soccer game last weekend and it's still bruised up and sore.
Thanks. He’s a tough mofo. He wouldn’t come out of the game because we had no subs due to other injuries. We had to have a trainer call him off the field. He was more upset about letting down his team than he was about the injury.

Hope your daughter heals up quickly as well!

Jan 14, 2006
So, your wife shares that opinion? It wasn’t clear in your comment:

Fear of what? Liability for what?
Yes. She's spends time doing things she didn't have to before and it takes away from patient care.

Exactly. I think administrators were worried about getting sued by somebody that caught the virus early on and suspended the programs. Now that we have more data as to the risks, people should be able to make their own decisions.

I really don't fault anyone's initial response since there were so many unknowns but the time has passed to be afraid of it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I could see that. We had to visit an ER yesterday because my son may have fractured and sprained his hand/wrist during soccer (other player 5 feet away kicked a rocket directly into his hand). There was a couple already in there and the husband was trying to get anyone’s attention as his wife was having chest pains and difficulty breathing. They were practically ignored, in an ER entry. I finally found a buzzer outside the entryway and got ahold of someone. At the same time, I understand the precaution with volunteers. I was wondering if a waiver would help, but it’s likely a delicate matter.
Man, that was a hectic day for your family. Hope your son heals quickly. I hate those days. Agreed, it's a delicate matter and hospitals, IMHO wrongly, have been moving to protect liability in terms of Volunteer staffing, even prior to Covid. We now must hire folks, increasing patient cost, to staff areas that we formerly allowed volunteers to work. I don't know if you recall the Disney lawsuit a few years ago about having Volunteers do things Staff could do, but it's kind of like that. Covid only re-enforced that move...certainly understandable on both sides, but Hospitals are losing a great asset that helped us over the years in Volunteers who did many of the front of house jobs because they love people...not for money, just out of love. It's going to be a tricky navigation as we move forward.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Too many people are staying away from needed care because of fear from the virus. Early studies show we are seeing increased deaths from other common treatable diseases.
While residents have taken to social distancing, cancer does not pause. The delay in diagnosis will likely lead to presentation at more advanced stages and poorer clinical outcomes. One study suggests a potential increase of 33 890 excessive cancer deaths in the United States.6 Our findings are consistent with previous research,1-3,5and they call for urgent planning to address the consequences of delayed diagnoses.

Covid-19 deaths will only represent 4.4% of all 2020 deaths in Oklahoma if the present death rates continue for the remainder of the year. Deaths attributed to Heart Disease, Cancer, Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease, Accidents, Stroke, and Alzheimer’s Disease exceed projected rates of Covid-19 deaths.

1. Heart Disease
2. Cancer
3. Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease
4. Accidents
5. Stroke
6. Alzheimer’s disease

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Once again, if you don't believe masks work then I invite you to go to Mercy, St. Anthony, or Baptist. Go to the COVID ward. Visit a COVID patient. Without a mask. Ask the patient to take their mask off. Invite them to cough on you. Stand close when they do it. Do all that and you'll convince me they're worthless.

Let me know when you do.
So, follow up to this. Even though I know you weren't serious. I did ask my wife about coming up there when she's treating a covid patient and obviously, no visitors are allowed but I did learn of an unintended consequence of the response. They no longer allow any volunteers to help with admits and other tasks. So now the regular hospital staff have to do extra work in addition to treating patients. Another case of the cure possibly being worse than the disease.
Let me get this straight, you are complaining that people who get paid have to do work instead of people who don't get paid? And you think it is somehow bad that people who get paid have to do work?

OMG! The world is coming to an end! People who get paid have to do work! When will this madness ever end!?!?!?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I understand your view point as well. I am concerned that Biden will not stand up against the growing radical members of his party.
I don’t understand why Biden has not come out forcefully against court-packing.
I don’t understand why it took months for Biden to come out against defunding the police.
I understand why, but I don’t agree why Biden and Harris continue to tacitly support identity politics that drives a wedge and creates further division in this country.

But I also understand why people cannot support Trump. His behavior, tweeting, and actions are beyond over the top. I admit, after seeing how he reacts like a child when his is mad at others, I am concerned how he would handle a nuclear crisis.
Doesn't it take several people in agreement to conduct a launch? I've never been comfortable with one person having that responsibility. I would hope that there are some restraints on the POTUS, whomever that is, in that regard. Otherwise I agree with your entire post...if I thought Trump had massive control of the government I would vote for someone else in this election, (likely the Independent or Libertarian) or abstain from voting. But policy wise I line up with Trump...just not personality wise. It's the same dilemma as 2016...Corrupt Democrat VS Childish Trump...to me nothing has changed in that regard....I am also a little concerned that Trump is off the rails a bit...especially after that stupid debate where they both (honestly Trump more than Biden) looked so foolish. Not sure what the next one is going to bring, but hope that it's reigned in on his part especially. He's always been his worst enemy...this is NOT a change for him.

Jan 14, 2006
Let me get this straight, you are complaining that people who get paid have to do work instead of people who don't get paid? And you think it is somehow bad that people who get paid have to do work?

OMG! The world is coming to an end! People who get paid have to do work! When will this madness ever end!?!?!?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nice hyperbole. I assume you're trolling me, but I'll answer.

Yes, if I went to the hospital, I'd want the medical professionals spending their time on my treatment and not administrative duties that have, for years, been taken care of by willing volunteers.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Day-Care Centers Are Very Low Risk for Covid-19 Transmission, Study Says

Children in day-care programs present virtually no risk of transmitting Covid-19 to adults, according to a new Yale University study of more than 57,000 U.S. child-care providers.

The study, believed to be the largest of its kind, indicated that keeping child-care centers open doesn’t contribute to transmission of the disease caused by the new coronavirus, as long as they hew to sanitary guidelines like hand washing, small group sizes and staff wearing face coverings.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I believe the same to be true with at least elementary schools. It's previously been stated that kids under 10 do not have the receptors to spread the disease. Many elementary kids are testing positive after, I believe, contracting the disease from family members. These kids aren't sick or really showing symptoms. I assume that a family member begins to show signs, gets the rest of the family tested and finds out the kid has it as well. I have not heard of any outbreaks among kids at elementary schools and I think it's because they can't or have a much more difficult time spreading the disease.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Nice hyperbole. I assume you're trolling me, but I'll answer.

Yes, if I went to the hospital, I'd want the medical professionals spending their time on my treatment and not administrative duties that have, for years, been taken care of by willing volunteers.
You mean administrative duties like order entry?

Jan 14, 2006
You mean administrative duties like order entry?
If you mean Dr's orders, no, I don't think volunteers can do that. More like manning the desk, answering phones, directing people where to go, stocking supplies. You know, the stuff they have volunteers do. What gotcha are you trying to get me with here?

I only got into this conversation because I asked about volunteering to take you up on your silly challenge.