Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
That would be good news if the numbers were going the right direction. What other common preventable death has doubled its deaths in 3 months? and increased its number of cases by 12K+ in 3 months
To my knowledge the other common causes of preventable deaths are not reported monthly so no. comparisons are possible. The last yearly total mortality report of all Oklahoma deaths I could find was for 2017. I don't know why it takes so long for them to report deaths from all causes.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
To my knowledge the other common causes of preventable deaths are not reported monthly so no. comparisons are possible. The last yearly total mortality report of all Oklahoma deaths I could find was for 2017. I don't know why it takes so long for them to report deaths from all causes.
Didn't it take like a year & a half to hire a State Medical Examiner a few years back? I seem to remember some fiasco where their chosen guy was found to have transported a body in the back of a pickup truck & that took him out of the running.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Today the Oklahoma State Health Dept. our Covid-19 death rate of all who have tested positive is: 1.09%.
Again to me this is very low in comparison to other causes of death. Certainly we all need to take well
know steps to prevent Covid-19 deaths but not forget the other more common causes of often preventable causes of death.
Isn't COVID only behind Heart Disease and Cancer for causes of death this year?

I mean yeah it is only killing 1% but when you have 90K new cases a day it is obviously a huge concern.

And do Heart Disease and Cancer fall into the same short term preventable category as a virus would? Since they are not contagious? Cancer I wouldn't think is classified as preventable and Heart Disease is only preventable by long term lifestyle choices.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
That would be good news if the numbers were going the right direction. What other common preventable death has doubled its deaths in 3 months? and increased its number of cases by 12K+ in 3 months
Deaths lag cases by a month. Compare the deaths to the previous month's cases. It becomes closer. Still, we may have cut the death rate by more than half, even after adjusting for increased testing and demographic shifts in who's getting infected/tested.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1322171420412137474?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1322171423373303810%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fkoanewsradio.iheart.com%2F
Almost like being an isolated country surrounded by countries who locked down is an advantage. Then being a state that is surrounded by states with various policies and millions of people freely flowing through from out of the area is a disadvantage.

They both seemed to have handled the first wave about the same. It is the after that is different. My guess is the open borders to millions of people is the biggest culprit.

Sweden went into only essential travel at their borders and it is in effect until Dec 2020.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Almost like being an isolated country surrounded by countries who locked down is an advantage. Then being a state that is surrounded by states with various policies and millions of people freely flowing through from out of the area is a disadvantage.

They both seemed to have handled the first wave about the same. It is the after that is different. My guess is the open borders to millions of people is the biggest culprit.

Sweden went into only essential travel at their borders and it is in effect until Dec 2020.
Similar to Australia's advantages in fighting this.

You point out the fallacy, though, in comparing some of the various sets of data from around the country & world, I don't disagree.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Similar to Australia's advantages in fighting this.

You point out the fallacy, though, in comparing some of the various sets of data from around the country & world, I don't disagree.
Yeah, NZ is another example of a country with lots of advantages.

Also Sweden has had limits on gatherings of over 50 people since April. So no sports, theatres, big weddings, etc. So not like they didn't have some form of "lock down" at all. They have had a ton of restrictions too.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Didn't it take like a year & a half to hire a State Medical Examiner a few years back? I seem to remember some fiasco where their chosen guy was found to have transported a body in the back of a pickup truck & that took him out of the running.
Our Oklahoma State Medical Examiner with 2-3 assistants has broad jurisdiction...over all unattended deaths who died without seeing a doctor, unexpected hospital deaths, and traumatic death. He has limited number of investigators, and too few pathologists to enable him to fully investigate every case. He has a tough very upleasant job.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Our Oklahoma State Medical Examiner with 2-3 assistants has broad jurisdiction...over all unattended deaths who died without seeing a doctor, unexpected hospital deaths, and traumatic death. He has limited number of investigators, and too few pathologists to enable him to fully investigate every case. He has a tough very upleasant job.
Thanks. That jibes with what I recall about that office from a few years back. It seemed like the office was a total mess & woefully under-equipped.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Isn't COVID only behind Heart Disease and Cancer for causes of death this year?

I mean yeah it is only killing 1% but when you have 90K new cases a day it is obviously a huge concern.

And do Heart Disease and Cancer fall into the same short term preventable category as a virus would? Since they are not contagious? Cancer I wouldn't think is classified as preventable and Heart Disease is only preventable by long term lifestyle choices.
What we are learning by performing Covid-19 testing is that may people are infected with the virus but many have few if any symptoms of the virus. By definition we call any person tesing positive a "case". Therefore numbers of deaths divided my "cases"is very low.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Fury Over New Covid Lockdowns in Europe Threatens Compliance
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fury-o...ns-in-europe-threatens-compliance-11603999654

As governments once again shut businesses across Europe to stop a surge in coronavirus infections, acceptance of restrictions is fading and some small businesses are refusing to cooperate.

The sense of a common goal and solidarity with front-line medical workers evident in the spring has given way to frustration among restaurateurs, hoteliers, retailers and other business owners who are rapidly running through their financial reserves.

This month’s lockdowns are more targeted than in the spring and in some cases come with substantial aid for those affected. Yet they are raising more opposition everywhere, from lawsuits in Germany to riots and demonstrative flouting of the rules in Italy.

Restaurants, bars, clubs, entertainment and sport venues will largely close under the new measures. In France, curfews will confine people to their homes. Germany is barring hotels from hosting tourists for a month and banning normally legal prostitution.

“The government wasted the summer and didn’t prepare for the second wave which everyone knew was coming, and now they are using the same lockdown as before,” said Antonio Bragato, owner of the Il Calice restaurant in Berlin. “But this will not end the pandemic.”

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
What we are learning by performing Covid-19 testing is that may people are infected with the virus but many have few if any symptoms of the virus. By definition we call any person tesing positive a "case". Therefore numbers of deaths divided my "cases"is very low.
Actually... Covid may be 6X more prevalent than what is being reported.

https://www.biospace.com/article/covid-19-is-6-fold-more-prevalent-than-reported-incidents-german-study-says/?utm_campaign=Daily Article&utm_content=144410096&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-10530620221