Cowboy baseball vs. WVU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
You can blame Rob—and I get it, but we also got outhit, had four errors, and struck out 14 times. Other than Standlee and Tanks one swing, nothing good today.
That’s true but you have to be able to win 2-1 grinders, when you aren’t hitting great.

Continuing to bring in struggling pitchers, not pitching to their strengths, not getting them out and bringing you closer until you are down fall squarely on the pitching coach. And that happens way too often.

Sep 29, 2015
Omaha
You can blame Rob—and I get it, but we also got outhit, had four errors, and struck out 14 times. Other than Standlee and Tanks one swing, nothing good today.
I do agree with this. The lack of any offensive production after the 1st inning and several defensive miscues, put pressure on the pitching staff to be perfect which isn't easy to do. I just don't understand why he continues to go to Gragg in high leverage situations. Let him gain some confidence in lower leverage spots would seem to be the best way to get him going....

Chairman of the Board

Territorial Marshal
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
That’s true but you have to be able to win 2-1 grinders, when you aren’t hitting great.

Continuing to bring in struggling pitchers, not pitching to their strengths, not getting them out and bringing you closer until you are down fall squarely on the pitching coach. And that happens way too often.
No argument here.

Offensively, we didn’t even threaten other than Navigato’s near HR for eight innings—not a winning combo.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I’m probably the biggest sunshine pumper on here, but 9 games into conference play and you can’t point to a single game and say “the pitching staff really won that game for us.” And that’s from a team that the coaches have always said pitching is the priority in recruiting because you can’t win in Omaha without it. And pitching, especially starting pitching, was supposed to be the strength of this team. And, of course, today we get a fantastic start, and then our bullpen, and pitching coach, blow it. Everyone knew Gragg wasn’t going to keep it at least tied. You had Leeper warming, but don’t bring him in until you’re down? Not sure I get that. And Lyons was still available. And I guess Basso will never sniff another big 12 inning ever again..... At this point, it’s on Walton to clean up this mess, and I believe he has the horses to do it.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Josh says he’s “furious” in the postgame.

Good for him. He needs to be.

But I think a few guys need to start seeing a few less at bats and a few less chances on the mound, or it means little.
Maybe this weekend was what was needed to wake him up and take control of the staff and team. Had to be totally embarrassing with the 59 team there along with Pete and other former players on hand to witness the showing that was was made.

I said several weeks ago that Josh needs to be less of a “Buddy” to players and more of a head coach. That goes for his assistant coaches also. The areas they are responsible for are simply not performing and they need to be held to account for that. It is an issue that has gone on for more than this year.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Maybe this weekend was what was needed to wake him up and take control of the staff and team. Had to be totally embarrassing with the 59 team along with Pete and other former players to put on the showing that was put on.

I said several weeks ago that Josh needs to be less of a “Buddy” to players and more of a head coach. That goes for his assistant coaches also. The areas they are responsible for are simply not performing and they need to be held to account for that. It is an issue that has gone on for more than this year.

I was willing to give Walton a big pass the last 2 seasons because of all the injuries, but there’s just no excuse for pitching staff train wreck this season.

I’m not sure if Vilade really brings anything to the table. He’s an alright recruiter, but our base running has been so much worse than it was under Lees.

I actually agree that Holliday needs to look at changing some things. I’m not sure which buttons he should push, but something has to change at least a little. And this is coming from the biggest Holliday supporter on this board.

Of course, people are probably, me included, underestimating how much we missed McCusker and Carter this week.

Crazy thing is that it looks like we’ll still be tied for 1st in the conference at the end of the day. I still think we could be a big factor in the Big 12 race if we can somehow get some decent starting pitching.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Josh says he’s “furious” in the postgame.

Good for him. He needs to be.

But I think a few guys need to start seeing a few less at bats and a few less chances on the mound, or it means little.
I was glad to hear him say he was furious. He should be as his team laid a big time egg against a lower division conference opponent in a rubber match game.

The plate approach by most of the players is just bad. Strikeout 14 times in a game that determines the series against their Sunday pitcher. Can he not contract with Gary Ward and see if he can teach these players something?

He needs to find someone that can throw a 70 mph curveball and make that bp until they start smashing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2006
We looked bad in all phases of the game. 4 errors and at least one fielders choice that should’ve been a dp. 14 strikeouts. 2 looking in b9 trailing. Walking 2 guys in a row to lose the lead. That’s not acceptable. Walton needs to figure out who his go to guys are. Lyons has been good lately but hasn’t been used consistently. Gragg can’t find the strikeout. Battenfield has been up and down. Varela hasn’t been great. We’ve got probably 5 guys capable of a lights out performance but we don’t seem to know who we trust to deliver other than Leeper.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
And, just in case anyone is wondering, our recruiting for the next 2 seasons is looking stellar. We haven’t had recruiting classes that looked this strong since Lees left. Overall, they look like the type of classes where you could lose 3 or 4 to the draft and they still be stellar classes. Our recruiting since Vilade has been here has been good, but not great. The next 2 classes look elite. So the new ballpark is definitely paying dividends already.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
If you're referring to Frank Anderson, yes. Right now we're pissed that we're 6-3 in the conference and in second place. It could be and has been worse.

Texas leads Baylor 6-0 in the 2nd in a weather delay so if they can get that game in it looks like we’ll still be tied for 1st this week.