Cowboy baseball vs. WVU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 14, 2009
I watched every pitch of every game this weekend. To say that West Virginia is a lower division team is ludicrous. There Friday night starter was the best I’ve seen so far this season and that includes the ace for TCU. All the WV starter did today was 14 strikeouts. West Virginia is pretty darn good.
And I don’t think we are world beaters.
Some of you folks need a reality check.

Last edited:

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I watched every picture of every game this weekend. To say that West Virginia is a lower division team is ludicrous. There Friday night starter was the best I’ve seen so far this season and that includes the ace for TCU. All the WV starter did today was 14 strikeouts. West Virginia is pretty darn good.
And I don’t think or world beaters.
Some of you folks need a reality check.
Look at the conference standings. I can’t believe you’re attempting to defend a 14 strikeout performance. The bottom line is WVU came to town and took it to the Cowboys in every phase of the game. That should rarely happen on your home field. This was an underperforming weekend by the Cowboys now matter how you slice it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2008
I don’t understand why fundamentals and IQ appear to be so poor?

I personally feel all the inconsistencies in EVERY player has made EVERY player press & worry about their performance. One guys goes 3-4 then next game 0-4 then straight to the bench or loses DH spot etc. same with pitchers. One guy rocks a start then gets rocked. From outside looking in I see ZERO leadership besides Bryce who’s concussed. OF and IF has all been shuffled. Pitchers have all been shuffled from struggling. It hasn’t been fun & you can see it on everyone’s faces. Baseball has to be fun or you will crumble! Similar to the Cubs 2 yrs ago & costume & pajama practices. If a pitcher gives up a 4 spot then crowd the plate, shorten up swing & peck away. We take Bryce Harper BP swings every at bat & it makes us have sooooo many strikeouts & unproductive at bats! I bet not one person can name a Donny Walton type leader in our lineup.....

Apr 7, 2006
If we were averaging 7 strikeouts a game and then have a game with 14 - you tip your cap to pitcher. We’ve got 294 strikeouts - or 9.8 per game 30 games into the season. You can’t expect to have good teams with that formula.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Being a "buddy" to the players is not an issue with Josh. He may have one or two pets but being personal with the other players is far from an issue.
Don’t play CNN with my post and edit them to fit your agenda. Those two sentences were totally unrelated and separated by a totally different comment. One referred to the players the second to repeats of the same foul ups by assistants.

If you’re going to quote, quote the FULL post.

Nov 14, 2010
I said several weeks ago that Josh needs to be less of a “Buddy” to players and more of a head coach.
You have excellent thoughts day to day about baseball, but I'm on the opposite side of this.

Josh is anything but a "buddy" to these kids.

If anything, he gets too emotional with them after failure and changes things too much based off of a bad game and/or performance.

He is very hard to the point where many kids can't handle it.

Walton isn't a screamer, but he is a guy that puts a good deal of pressure on his kids to perform and many can't handle it.

Especially when they're not allowed to throw the pitches they're comfortable with in high leverage situations.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Don’t play CNN with my post and edit them to fit your agenda. Those two sentences were totally unrelated and separated by a totally different comment. One referred to the players the second to repeats of the same foul ups by assistants.

If you’re going to quote, quote the FULL post.
I edited it because those two sentences were the only two pertinent to my point and the jest of my reply applies to both. There honestly was no malice in my intent. I'm just simply saying you are misinformed if you think Josh is too buddy buddy with the players. And I have no agenda, I'm just stating facts.

Last edited:

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
You have excellent thoughts day to day about baseball, but I'm on the opposite side of this.

Josh is anything but a "buddy" to these kids.

If anything, he gets too emotional with them after failure and changes things too much based off of a bad game and/or performance.

He is very hard to the point where many kids can't handle it.

Walton isn't a screamer, but he is a guy that puts a good deal of pressure on his kids to perform and many can't handle it.

Especially when they're not allowed to throw the pitches they're comfortable with in high leverage situations.
I edited it because those two sentences were the only two pertinent to my point and the jest of my reply applies to both. There honestly was no malice in my intent. I'm just simply saying you are misinformed if you think Josh is too buddy buddy with the players. And I have no agenda, I'm just stating facts.

If those instances are the case, and I have no reason to think they are not, then that is very disappointing.

Knee-jerk reactions to individual mistakes are not a good sign. And I really like Josh and think he is and can be a good head coach. Hopefully he sees that and adapts. And, if that is also the case with Walton, then Josh needs to also step in and tell him he needs to also adapt his approach. That’s his job as head coach. Not every kid can throw a slider successfully and pitch from behind. What he chooses to do from there is his decision.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
There is absolutely a lot of knee-jerk reactions going on. I object to the "pitch by pitch" comments that are on here every game, but there are a lot of things that need to be worked on. A lot of the criticisms are down right ignorant. First of all, you don't pitch to your pitcher's strength as much as you do to the batter's weakness. No one can pitch a "perfect" game every at bat - you try to win match ups. That doesn't mean you can always predict or coach "correctly." We aren't winning to our expectations, but that doesn't mean we suck. We need to to tighten up our defense and keep plugging. I'm not panicking!

Sep 14, 2007
The word your looking for is gist not jest.

Unless your reply was supposed to be funny then jest does apply.

purkey

Greenhorn
Sep 22, 2006
okc
someone said McCusker out 6 weeks...that's pretty much the rest of the regular season. Carter stands a better chance of coming back than McCusker. McCusker probably down to 5 weeks. Sifrit has been pretty good taking up the slack.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
someone said McCusker out 6 weeks...that's pretty much the rest of the regular season. Carter stands a better chance of coming back than McCusker. McCusker probably down to 5 weeks. Sifrit has been pretty good taking up the slack.

I thought Holliday said McCusker had a virus, how is he out 6 weeks? Wow, if that's true, that's a crazy huge blow to this team....

purkey

Greenhorn
Sep 22, 2006
okc
I thought he was sick, also? Carter has been out over 7 days, return to play concussion protocol is 7 days from the last symptom, so unless he had a major concussion, he should be back soon.
I heard the sickness as well but also heard 6 weeks...not sure what kind of sickness could put you out 6 weeks....mono?

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
I thought Holliday said McCusker had a virus, how is he out 6 weeks? Wow, if that's true, that's a crazy huge blow to this team....
Not good. We can certainly use his bat and he was having a pretty good season. Sure gate to hear that.

Hope he is a “quick healer”.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Not good. We can certainly use his bat and he was having a pretty good season. Sure gate to hear that.

Hope he is a “quick healer”.

If you call a 1.049 OPS "pretty good" lol. He's been by far our best hitter. Very big blow. But, getting Carter back is just as important. He controls the other team's running game at an elite level, and takes very good AB's. I have to admit, I was impressed with the job Colin did behind the plate over the weekend. WV was determined to run on him at almost every chance, and he continually gunned them down.