Cowboys (1-0) Defeat UT-Arlington (0-1) 75-68. Next Up vs Texas Southern SATURDAY in GIA #NewEra

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Cowboys Win 75-68. Catch the Highlights. Next Up, Texas Southern in GIA. 6:30PM

Previously on Cowboy Basketball....

HCMB started the season GREAT. Cowboys started 8-0, won the Pre-season NIT with wins against SEC Ole Miss and ACC Syracuse. Coming into the Georgetown game, OSU was ranked for the 1st time in coaches poll at #25 since 2014.

This where things went down hill. Our star PG, Ice had the flu (most likely COVID now thinking about it) and had to miss about a month worth of games. We had 5 more games before Big 12 and we only won 2 of them.

Our first Big 12 game was against #22 Texas Tech coming off a monster season the year before (making the finals). The Cowboys would lose 8 straight Conference games in a row, sitting dead last in the standings. We did, however, won the BIG 12/SEC challenge against Texas A&M (which Boynton is 2-1 in). Eventually, Ice would come back during that stretch, but he wasn’t himself. It took him a long while to get back to 100%.

Our first conference win came against TCU in February. This is where the resurgence began. During this 10 game stretch, O-State only losses were to #1 Baylor, #1 Kanas, and #17 West Virgina. OSU was down 2 points with 20 seconds to go against the Baylor game. Also, the Cowboys were able to split a series with UO, Texas Tech, Texas, Iowa State while also completing sweep against TCU and Kansas State.

The Last time we’ve seen the Cowboys was all the way back in March. The day before the world knew of COVID, the O-State Cowboys had won a thriller against the Cyclones during the Big 12 tournament. We were scheduled to play Kanas the following day. Here’s a clip of the thriller against ISU:

Cowboys officially ended the season 17-14, going 7-11 in conference finishing in 7th place. Two place higher than our Big 12 pre-season placements. Vets such as Diz, Mcgriff, Lindy Waters and Yor Anei have graduated with the exception of Yor..who decided to leave the program.

HCMB comes in his 4th season. This officially marks that every player on the roster is Coach Boynton’s guys that he’s recruited. Lindy and the other guys either came from Underwood or Travis Ford himself. These are now all Boyntons recruits.

So, who’s new? Namely these guys are coming in who are going to be doing much needed damage to how potent this Cowboy team will be:

1. Rondel Walker, #17 SG. 6’ 2”
2. Montreal Pena, #65 PF. 6’ 9”
3. Donovan Williams, SG. 6’ 5”.
4. Matthew Alexander-Moncreife, PF. 6’ 7”
5. Cade Cunningham, #1 CG. 6’ 6”.
6. Ferron Flavors, SG. 6’3”
7. Bryce Williams, SG. 6’3”
8. Bernard Kouma, PF 6’ 10”..

Coach Mike brings in the highest recruiting class ever in Oklahoma State’s history with the #12 National Rank and #2 Big 12 Rank (behind Kansas) with the #1 Overall Player in Cade Cunningham.

Believe in the hype. THIS is our year. Go POKES beat UT-Arlington

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
I personally can not wait for this season to start up, but also here is to hoping it does not get cut short due to COVID related issues. Also will be interesting to see if our post season ban holds up or not, with all the hype around Cade it would be hard to leave out a good OK State team from the Tourney in March.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
I personally can not wait for this season to start up, but also here is to hoping it does not get cut short due to COVID related issues. Also will be interesting to see if our post season ban holds up or not, with all the hype around Cade it would be hard to leave out a good OK State team from the Tourney in March.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Covid in basketball. On one hand, from what I've read, the NCAA is determined to have the NCAA tournament this year with how much revenue they lost from it last year, and the fact the other sports are happening. On the other hand, they have extremely strict rules, especially with contact tracing, there are going to be a crazy amount of cancellations. So how is the committee going to pick the field with all of that going on? Expand the tourney for a year? Delay to May?...Will be interesting.

My personal conspiracy theory is they put the ban on hoping Cade would transfer to a blue blood, but he didn't, so now they will get us back in..(if we deserve it and Cade is as good as advertised)

Mar 27, 2008
This year might be tough because in years past we could catch teams sleeping or not very motivated playing against us. This year we will get our opponents best play because of Cade. Players on opposing teams know NBA scouts will be watching and will be trying to play their best against the best player in college basketball.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
It WAS scheduled for ESPN2. I cut and pasted the details from the oSu website (see Post 2).

As is constantly going on with so many other games in the NFL, college sports, etc.. Covid is cancelling and postponing so many games. I wish I had looked at what teams were supposed to play on ESPN at 3pm.

Looking at Wednesday's TV Schedule on ESPN's website (as of 9:35pm Tuesday night), there have been 22 games either postponed or cancelled for tomorrow.

Thanks BBjunkie for finding and posting the update.

Jun 25, 2011
I am so excited to see them play. We haven't had a player of cades caliber before and the hype is massive on him. Just hope overreaction on covid doesn't spoil it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Pretty stoked about seeing some of the other freshmen in addition to Cade. Moncriefe, Walker, Pena, and Williams will all be interesting to watch and see how they develop. And, of course Ice is fun to watch as he slashes to the basket. The Boones will also be interesting to watch. Hope everyone stays healthy and covid free.

Dub

Cowboy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
“The Last time we’ve seen the Cowboys was all the way back in March. The day before the world knew of COVID, the O-State Cowboys had won a thriller against the Cyclones during the Big 12 tournament.“
technically “the day before the world knew of COVID” was sometime in December 2019.

old man nitpicking aside, I’m excited to see this team on the court!