Cowgirl Softball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Most baseball purists are turned off by the antics in softball (myself included) -so it’s not worth trying to convince either to try and be more like the other. 2 sports that share many similarities but have many differences.

I don’t need to see college baseball players doing chants every pitch or flipping bats and I don’t need softball players to “respect the game” , “not show up the pitcher”, etc. If you’re a fan of baseball you like what you see. If you’re a fan of softball you like what you see.
See that's an interesting take I still don't understand how they see it as showing up the picture it's being excited that you hit a homerun. Just like I don't think celebrating a touchdown is showing up the defense. granite there's a difference between celebrating a touchdown and taunting and there really is a line there but just somebody who gets excited and celebrates in that moment is not taunting.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
the unwritten rules of baseball may not mean anything to the casual baseball fan, but I guarantee you that they mean something to the guys playing the game on a daily basis....
Do you really think a bat flip in the 6th inning of a World Series game after a home run that results in 1-1 tie is going to mean the next time up the dude is going to get pegged? If it's 1-1 they aren't going to do it, and if they don't do it then they aren't following their unwritten rule.
Actually a correction here I do not think that she did the bat flip after the first homerun only the second one that resulted in a 2-1 lead.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Do you really think a bat flip in the 6th inning of a World Series game after a home run that results in 1-1 tie is going to mean the next time up the dude is going to get pegged? If it's 1-1 they aren't going to do it, and if they don't do it then they aren't following their unwritten rule.
he won't get drilled in WS game, but he might the next season when/if the 2 teams play. i get it, you think the "unwritten rules" are dumb. all I'm saying is that they do mean something to the players. why do you think that Rougned Odor KO's Jose Bautista the next season after the infamous bat flip in the ALDS? baseball players have long memories, especially in the bigs

Aug 16, 2012
The unwritten rules of softball and baseball only exist now in the minds of curmudgeons that maybe had a cup of coffee in the majors up to maybe a few years residing on the bench in the majors. It's guys like that espouse such crap that have ruined the fun of the game. Let 'em play and actually enjoy what they are doing.
Showboating is not an unwritten rule of baseball. It used to be a tenet of sportsmanship no matter what the game but it has long been forgotten at many levels of every sport, in particular basketball IMO where trash talk is now the norm. Younger people are more inclined to be OK with it as that is the culture in which they were raised. Us older folks remember the adage, "Act like you have been there before", handing the ball to a ref after a touchdown, running the bases without staring down opponents, etc. Times have changed.

Apr 7, 2006
See that's an interesting take I still don't understand how they see it as showing up the picture it's being excited that you hit a homerun. Just like I don't think celebrating a touchdown is showing up the defense. granite there's a difference between celebrating a touchdown and taunting and there really is a line there but just somebody who gets excited and celebrates in that moment is not taunting.

Just the way it is in baseball. There are a list of things longer than I care to detail of things you don’t do. The game is incredibly old and at some point it’s just part of the game- doesn’t have to be explained or written in a rule book- it’s just part of the game. The only time this is pretty often ignored on a home run is with a walk off. You also don’t see anyone pretending to be an airplane coming into home plate - in case there was any question :)

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Most baseball purists are turned off by the antics in softball (myself included) -so it’s not worth trying to convince either to try and be more like the other. 2 sports that share many similarities but have many differences.

I don’t need to see college baseball players doing chants every pitch or flipping bats and I don’t need softball players to “respect the game” , “not show up the pitcher”, etc. If you’re a fan of baseball you like what you see. If you’re a fan of softball you like what you see.
It doesn't really bother me. It just seems exhausting having to play the entire game and also chant and cheer from the dugout the entire game too. In every interview I heard yesterday, the theme was always "we stayed true to ourselves and had fun." The word "fun" came up in every interview. It's a different game with a different culture. I'd probably get annoyed with all the chanting if I watched live college softball regularly, but I watch only OSU and only when they are playing for something important. Same with golf, wrestling, and other sports which generally don't interest me unless my alma mater is in the hut for a championship. It was kinda cool seeing all the fans out there supporting the team. I wish I could be in OKC this weekend.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
It's softball, women's softball, not baseball. I played a LOT of baseball and wouldn't expect them to live by the old traditions of baseball.

Men and women are different. The young lady in the "Yes Maam" clip is kinda hot.
And stay off my grass!!

- Old inappropriate commudgen.

Dec 6, 2011
And yes the announcer Beth was driving me nuts. I was listening via the espn app while driving and had to keep looking at my phone to see the count...she just rattled on nonstop instead of calling the game while occasionally adding discussion.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
When it comes to softball, I’m old fashion(softball ways). Coached it for 13 yrs, officiating for 20 yrs.....love to hear the cheers and chants. I enjoy the passion of the game by these young ladies.

Flipping of the bat, running around bases soaring like a bird(OU thing) is considered as taunting the opponents pitcher or team.....then in baseball when I see players jumping up and giving a high five or should I say high forearms....should be considered the same way. I see OSU baseball players doing this after homeruns.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So from people who were there last night, did OU fans root for us? Did our fans reciprocate in the following game?
hopefully our fans did not root for OU... they must lose two games, and we have lost 23 straight to them. No reason on earth to cheer for a rematch. "sportsmanship" does not extend into stupidity.

I guess we'll see what happens in Bedlam tonight.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Even the unwritten rules are changing in the MLB. Every guy that gets a hit now does some sort of hand sign to the dugout. Even Waino was asked about drilling a guy for certain antics and he basically said, yeah a few years ago that guy would have been at least brushed back. Now we don't care as much

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Even the unwritten rules are changing in the MLB. Every guy that gets a hit now does some sort of hand sign to the dugout. Even Waino was asked about drilling a guy for certain antics and he basically said, yeah a few years ago that guy would have been at least brushed back. Now we don't care as much

Bbbbbuuuuuttttt, I guarantee you the guys that play the game, blah, blah, blah....:runaway::runaway:

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
Umpires run guys a lot quicker than they used to. You don't want one of your main starters getting tossed in the 2nd or 3rd inning and then facing a possible suspension on top of that.