1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

DC - Thoughts on Brian VanGorder?

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Baizanator, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Baizanator

Baizanator Cowboy

If BY retires as some have speculated, a new DC will be needed. VanGorder is available and has a great resume and isn't too old. THoughts? Seems to be a defensive version of Monken in terms of fieriness.

2. PerpetualPoke

PerpetualPoke Sheriff

As some have speculated or hoped for?

blt_26 and OSUndefeated like this.
  3. Kramer

Kramer Deputy

4. dezul

dezul Freelance Sperm Donor A/V Subscriber

5. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Sheriff

hopeful speculation ;)

6. Baizanator

Baizanator Cowboy

Bill Young obviously missed time this year and it was said to be for a "health condition." Many with inside knowledge had said that we can expect his retirement after the bowl game. It may all be BS but, at this point, it's what we have to go on.

7. dezul

dezul Freelance Sperm Donor A/V Subscriber

I wish him luck if this is true. His health definitely an issue this year. I hope he sticks around and assist with the program if we get a new DC.

8. Baizanator

Baizanator Cowboy

Would be nice if he could consult.

9. NotOnTV

NotOnTV Sheriff

If he does retire, I hope he is retained in some sort of assistant AD capacity.

10. CowboyAdam

CowboyAdam Sheriff

As long as BY isn't our DC anymore i will be fine.

cowboyethics344 likes this.
  11. pokelahomastate

pokelahomastate Cowboy

VanGroder has a very impressive coaching resume. Was he also let go at Auburn?

12. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Territorial Marshal

They let go everybody at Auburn and were told to reapply for the same jobs.

13. Baizanator

Baizanator Cowboy

Right, but Ellis Johnson will be the new DC down there. So, VanGorder is available.

14. Birry

Birry Territorial Marshal

New DC + QB controversy/intrigue = increased ticket sales. I kinda hope Young retires. Not that I hate him or anything (I hate his schemes), but it just seems like a good time to do it.

15. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Federal Marshal

During VanGorder's 4 seasons at Georgia, his defense allowed 30 points only one time, against LSU in the 2003 SEC Championship Game. That's amazing.

16. Kramer

Kramer Deputy

Since about 1987, we have had a love/hate relationship with defensive coordinators. When they are hired, we are fired up and expound on all the great things they are going to do and how different they are from the previous DC. Then as time goes on and the traditional OSU defense creeps in, our mood slowly begins to change and we eventually get to the famous FIRE (insert name) NOW posts. I am not exactly sure why, but for some reason no matter who the DC is, our defenses have been subpar since 1987. In 1997 we did have sme success with Rob Ryan and the 4-6, but he left after one year and then it was business as usual. Most of us were on the Bill Young bandwagon last year with his "supersecret turnover creating schemes", but once the turnover faucet dried up, we got back to our usual DC sentiment. Let's all hope that the 25 year OSU DC saga will end at some point and we can actually look forward to stops on third down!

17. Birry

Birry Territorial Marshal

I think it says just as much about their low-scoring style of play in the SEC as it does about the defense. I doubt that same defense would achieve that in the Big 12, but who knows....?

18. bixbyosu

bixbyosu Cowboy

It's hard to say if a new defensive coordinator would do much for us. We have been thru quite a few defensive coordinators over the past 10 years and everyone produced about the same results. We need better players. These spread offenses can be slowed down with great defensives. I watched LSU shutout Texas A&M in the second half of their game this season. I just hope if Bill leaves, it will be on his terms.

19. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Territorial Marshal

I honestly think we have some good athletes (not at the level of Bama, LSU, Florida) but our scheme (bend but not break) is holding them back.

20. Philranger

Philranger Territorial Marshal

Is it a rule that all DC's at OSU must have a "B" as the first initial of their first or last name?

Bill Young
    Tim Beckman
    Vance Bedford
    Bill Clay
    Bob (note I know he goes by Rob) Ryan

And now looking at Brian VanGorder...