1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Defense vs. Offense Opinion

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by SwingingPete, Apr 11, 2012.

1. oufannot

oufannot Wrangler

I thought field goals won championships. Seems that's all SEC does.
  2. JustInOrange

A/V Subscriber JustInOrange Nothing Witty Here

Because the defense doesn't allow them to get there? :rolleyes:

Or of all those penalties.
    oufannot likes this.
  3. The Bundy

Banned The Bundy Banned

The SEC has won the NC the past 5 years. Therefore, it's quite obvious that defense wins championships.
  4. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

Ill give you Bama this last year. That may have been one of the best Ds in the last 20 years. But many/most of those championship teams had very solid Offenses.
  5. Hefley001

Hefley001 Cowboy

I still think its because their offenses suck
    Jonathangpark likes this.
  6. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Cowboy

Yes, Auburn, defensive powerhouse, or when Alabama barely beat Texas with Garrett Gilbert? Florida and Tim Tebow? How about really great teams tend to be good on both sides of the ball?
  7. oufannot

oufannot Wrangler

I'll give you 4 years. Last year was BS.
    Bigg T likes this.
  8. JustInOrange

A/V Subscriber JustInOrange Nothing Witty Here

I agree, you can't say that the SEC won last year because you can also say that the SEC lost last year. Either way you look at it, it was unfair to many.

If it was a perfect world, I believe two teams from the same conference should not be allowed to play each other. Therefore the best of one conference should play the best from another. As many have said, Alabama had their chance and showed that they did not deserve to be the best in their conference.
    oufannot likes this.
  9. pokepokepooray

pokepokepooray Wrangler

Well I wasn't talking about the NFL, just college. Go ahead and look at a list of the champions of the BCS era, and you should see a trend: you can have an average/mediocre offense and still win it all if your D is stellar, but the opposite pretty much never culminates into a title season. This isnt my opinion, this is a fact. All I'm saying is if I had to choose b/w oSu being an offensive juggernaut or having an absolute shut down D, I'm choosing D 100% of the time. Nothings more entertaining than winning!
  10. pokepokepooray

pokepokepooray Wrangler

Really? Just out of curiosity, where are you getting this from? I know alot of SEC teams would laugh at that statement.
  11. pokepokepooray

pokepokepooray Wrangler

I def agree, the best are always good on both sides of the ball, but all I'm--and maybe others--are trying to say is that if we had to choose one to really excel in, I'll take D everytime.
  12. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

As a fan, I find it very comforting knowing my team's offense can go score from anywhere on the field and in any amount of time.
    oufannot and PlatypusJojo like this.
  13. StillwaterMan

It goes both ways. Auburn won it all with a very average Defense. Florida's championship teams Had NFL talent all over the place on offense. Texas, just outscored USC. There's just as many examples of High Powered Offenses winning it all than there is a Major Defenses. If you are capable of creating a team with 8-9 future Pros on Defense you will probably win it all. Right now Alabama is the only team thats been able to do that on a yearly basis. As for the rest of the 119 teams, the top scoring teams are fairly consistant with being on top of the rankings. In fact 6 out of ten of the top ranked teams ranked 10 or higher in Offense. And 17 teams in the top 25 ranked in the top 25 in offense. Those "Facts" cleary show that college football as a whole is Offensive driven.
  14. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Cowboy

15. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Cowboy

Auburn didn't win the NC with defense.
    RutherfordFan and tobrien080808 like this.
  16. oufannot

oufannot Wrangler

I'm so tired of hearing that defenses win championships. OSU would have scored a million on LSU last year. If you can't score you can't win, and tieing is like getting it on with your sister.
  17. pokepokepooray

pokepokepooray Wrangler

I will probably concede you have a solid point with Auburn. Even though they did have the most disruptive D-lineman in the country and they held the nations leading offense to like a third of their average in the NC game, so I think their D more so underachieved during the regular season, but like I said I'll probably give you that one. But those Fla teams with Tebow were just as stacked on D as they were on O, so if u think theyre an example of a high powered O with an average D winning a title you couldnt be more mistaken. Off the top of my head they had two first rd D-ends (Moss and Dunlap) a first rd CB (Haden) and Spikes was one of the best MLB in the country and starts for the Pats (not too sure where he got drafted, I think 2nd). Im pretty sure they held Ohio St and Heisman winner Troy smith to less than 150 yds of O in 06. Same with Texas and USC; those D's were crazy talented! USC had one of the sickest LB cores and go ahead and look at all the big names on that TExas D. My point is yes, teams with high-powered O's most certainly do win titles, but rarely does that happen in conjunction with just a terrible, or even mediocre/below average D. However you cant argue that the opposite happens at least a tad bit more (it happens a lot more). Did nobody see LSU last yr? They made it to 13-0 with a crazy schedule pretty much without a QB! Bamas O this yr and 09 was as cookie cutter as they come! Mcelroy and Mccarron were the QBs for goodness sakes! I cant really remember but I'd venture a guess and say LSU's 2 BCS title teams were pretty similar. Whens the last time a team with a high-powered O and real questionable D (as questionable as LSU and Bamas O this past season) has won a NC (besides Aub). Not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously wondering.
  18. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

Yeah Defense doesn't win in this league. Not anymore. See Nebraska in 2009 (or 2010). If you can't score you can't win the Big 12. If you can't win the Big 12, there's no point in worrying about playing for a National Title b/c you won't get there (unless you're OU).
  19. StillwaterMan

I wont argue your point that you have to be proficient in all aspects to win it all. But you can do so (win it all) by being great on one side of the ball and good on the other, and I dont think it matters which one you are great at. As Ive stated earlier though, building a truely great defense is extremely hard to do becuase you cant have any weakness, and only one or two teams will be able to pull that off a year and they generally come from the south becuse 300 pounders who can move well in order to produce dominate D linemen just seem to come from that area. But as a whole, the teams that win Conferances generally rank in the top 1 or 2 teams in the said conferance in the offensive production catagory. If you look at the top 10 offenses from last year most all finished in the top 15 (especially if you dont take mid majors into account). And as Phil mentioned above the best Defenses have not faired well in the final Big 12 conferace standings of the last five years.
  20. Poke tha Goonerz

Poke tha Goonerz Wrangler

Gotta score to win!