1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Derek Fisher??

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Dr_Pete, Mar 20, 2012.

1. thejudgeandjury

thejudgeandjury Deputy

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/20...-should-thunder-consider-signing-derek-fisher

Excerpt:

Derek Fisher has the ninth-worst Player Efficiency Rating among NBA point guards this year. This is his third straight year with a PER under 10; the league average is 15. He's hitting less than 39 percent of his shots, less than one-third of his 3-pointers and he's turning the ball over about 18 percent of the time, a rate significantly higher than at any point since the 1998-99 season. Opposing point guards have been outperforming him by seven points and three assists per 48 minutes of action.

2. PokeVille

PokeVille . A/V Subscriber

Those stats are among starting PG's. His stats are very similar to Eric Maynor's.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4001/eric-maynor
    Life time 40% shooter and this year was at 35% when he got hurt. PER 9.26 Turnover per game lifetime 1.0, season 1.2

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/246/derek-fisher
    PER 8.96 turnovers 1.3 per game

3. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Territorial Marshal

If you guys need a championship level flopper and clutch spot-up shooter who can't defend , then he's your man.

4. JoshOSU420

JoshOSU420 Athletic Supporter A/V Subscriber

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to save the team in some way. He's not going to be a superstar. We needed a back up point guard and were unable to sign any of the really good PG's at the trade deadline for whatever reason. Maybe we would have had to give up to much or the other teams simply did not want to give them up. The signing of Derek Fisher is just a really low risk move. He won't cost to much, we don't have to give up any of our current guys. If it works out then great, if it doesn't then oh well, no harm done. I don't think having him will actually hurt the team.

Now with Cook going down last night and being on crutches today it could be a good move.

usao_99 and OrangeAggie like this.
  5. JoshOSU420

Career Stats

[​IMG]

6. OrangeAggie

OrangeAggie Assistant to the Moderater A/V Subscriber

Exactly. He's being brought in to take over Reggie Jackson's role, which is basically to spell Westbrook. He's a smart, veteran player who will have a calming influence during the playoffs and isn't going to do anything to hurt you. Can you say that about Jackson?

PrincetonPoke23 and jobob85 like this.
  7. JoshOSU420

Yea, if I'm Presti I give Brooks as many options as possible. Now it will be Brooks job to use Fisher and Jackson in positive ways.

8. jobob85

jobob85 Feral Marshal A/V Subscriber

JoshOSU420 thanks for the stats looks like he stepped it up for the playoffs the last couple of years. Just what we need.

9. OSU_CC

OSU_CC Territorial Marshal

Don't think this trade adds much to this team. But Presti has made good and great moves in the past so I think it will work out.

Not sure he really improves this team. The strengths he brings to the game (experience, good shot, and ball control) are pretty much cancelled out by his aging body, lack of speed, and lack of athleticism.

Should be able to play the back PG spot for 10-20 mins a game though.

10. JoshOSU420

Only one way to tell, check back at the end of the season and into the playoffs and see how its going.

11. OrangeFan69

OrangeFan69 LA face with an Okla. booty A/V Subscriber

Lives in cities you'll never see on screen
    Kobe Bryant never won a championship without Fisher. He's Glue.

He's slow, short and a mediocre shooter. BUT he adds wins, because he's smart, clutch and a communicator.

He gets it. He's a coach on the floor, he makes clutch shots, and he removes the ME from TEAM. A guy like him would do wonders for Westbrook.

I'll bet it's a moot point, he bought out his Rockets contract. I doubt he wants to play for anyone. If he does it'll probably be OKC, Dallas, Chicago or Miami. (a team with a PG need and a shot at the ring)

Pokeabear likes this.
  12. PokeVille

13. JoshOSU420

PokeVille likes this.
  14. Propeller

Propeller Wrangler

Brings in a back up with championship winning experience, a solid track record, and a price under $1mil for the season. It's a great pick up to cover Maynor's injury at the very least and has in the best case a chance to add some real insight in the locker room.

Prior to this, we didn't really have a 2nd string guy for the position. I'm quite lost that someone doesn't see how this improves the team.

OrangeFan69 likes this.
  15. colb

colb Hey, Jack. A/V Subscriber

16. colb

Also Fisher is a huge boost to this team. Anyone that disagrees, hear me out. Our backup PG is Reggie Jackson. He's a rookie and this has shown through out the season as teams have given him full court pressure. He's a good young player, but needs time to develop.

The downside is that we can't try to develop him in the middle of a 7 game playoff series... especially in the Western Conference. Derek Fisher gives us stability at the point guard position, so when Westbrook comes out, we don't have to worry about rookie mistakes losing us the game. Again, no disrespect to Jackson, he'll make a good player someday. Just needs more time.

CrabStuffedFish likes this.
  17. PokeVille

"It was fun to be a part of. ... We made some big plays. Guys trusted each other, and that's what good teams do: make the right basketball play."

The first half of this quote is classic Durant. We played as a team, had fun, trust...etc, etc

the end of it about making the right basketball play sounds like a team prepping to make a deep playoff run

18. colb

My only concern, is when Derek Fisher was 0-4, then 0-5, then 0-6, then 0-7... at some point you gotta stop taking those shots. Create a higher percentage shot with a pump fake if you have to. I know he was wide open. But 0-8 until he hits the floater in OT? He's only shooting 31% on the year from 3... while Sefolosha is shooting over 50%? I love Fish. But when you're down to the wire and oh fer, put it in the hands of the All-Star Kid Clutch (KD).

19. OSU_CC

OSU_CC Territorial Marshal

Yeah, I'm still not impressed by Fisher.

I wasn't before the trade and I'm still not after watching the past 2 games.
    I understand he makes more than what he did last night but I just think for someone as "experienced" as him, that he wouldn't be trying to make things happen like that.

Still don't think that this helps this team that much, but there are so many Thunder fans that are going to love the trade no matter what simply because they don't want to dislike something the Thunder organization is doing.

In reality, Brooks now feels the need to play Fisher way more than he needs to play and way more than the Lakers ever played him.

If the Lakers (3rd in the West) didn't play him that much and got rid of him, the Rockets didn't really need him, but the Thunder (1st in the West) all of a sudden need him to play more minutes than he has played in several years?

Don't like this move at all.

Also, I agree that Jackson is not ready to play a lot of minutes in the playoffs but there are other options out there for a backup PG rather than Fisher.

20. Pokengineer

Pokengineer Go Pokes! A/V Subscriber

Don't forget the Thunder gave up literally NOTHING for Fisher... They signed him as a bought-out free agent to a prorated minimum wage contract so he is a completely no-risk addition. If he doesn't perform well then he sits on the bench. Don't forget also when the playoffs come around Westbrook's and Harden's minutes will go up and Fisher will be on the court less. Fisher is the better solution in the long-term. Since we didn't have to give up any of our picks (in a deep NBA draft year) like we would've had we gone out and got some of the other names thrown around (Sessions, Augustine, Hinrich, or Ridnour). With all that said Fisher has played well. He doesn't make alot of mistakes and thats really all they need off the bench. Someone who doesn't make mistakes and gets the ball to Harden.

Note: I hated Fisher when he was the Starting PG for the Lakers... I thought he was horrible and Westbrook just destroyed him, but he is a good backup PG.

Hbuchanan likes this.