1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Direct TV and the Texas Tech Game

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by BPH_4LIFE, Oct 31, 2011.

1. BPH_4LIFE

BPH_4LIFE Deputy

I am writing this to organize a Poke complaint festival directed at Direct TV. If you have Direct TV, you need to read this post and take action.

Tomorrow, you will wake up and not have Fox Sports or FX or any Fox affiliated channel. You will still keep your regular Fox Network channel and thus will not lose the NFL games on that channel but, you will lose the normal Big 12 games on FX and Fox Sports.

I have a friend who works at Direct and he said the negotiations are not going well and there will be a suspension of service at midnight tonight.

Think about this, traditionally, the Tech games almost always seem to be on Fox Sports @ 11 or 6 PM. This means next week, if you have Direct TV, you will NOT have the Tech game. The situation is very similar to the Dish Network/Fox dispute last year when Dish did not have FX or Fox Sports for about 3 weeks.

Keep in mind, the KSU game will be on ABC and the ISU game is a Friday game on ESPN 2 but, the Tech game is the game to worry about.

So, I am calling you to arms and to act now. Start calling Direct TV every day until they are sick of hearing their customers complain. Bog down their call centers with complaints on this issue. I just called them and the gentleman I spoke with said they are having to document every call logged on this topic for management. I made sure to tell the Direct TV employee that my issue is not with Fox and them raising their prices for Direct TV. My issue is with Direct TV since I am paying them for cable service. Plus, I was also told from a source within Direct TV that they will raise our prices in February so they claim they are trying to keep our costs down is a lie since they already have plans to raise the prices. But, prices on everything go up every year but, that does not give you the right to block Fox Affiliates. Why not have this dispute during basketball or baseball season?

Direct TV - 1-800-347-3288

2. internationalaw

internationalaw Not 1, Not 2..... A/V Subscriber

Doesn't pertain to me, but good heads up

3. usao_99

usao_99 Wrangler

I agree it blows but tech game is on ABC at 1100, 230 or 700 per big 12... I had to do this already with DirecTV and the vs channel

4. go4it

go4it Wrangler

This happened last year with Dish and I missed at least one football game because of it (Texas I believe). They finally resolved it, but it was a few weeks and several people on here were obviously upset.

5. dash

dash Territorial Marshal

ABC has exercised the 6 day window, you are in luck.

6. wickerbill

wickerbill Cowboy

Yeah, it would be better if the cable and satellite companies just gave in to whatever ridiculous fee increases the networks ask for. I'm sure they would just eat the costs and not pass it along on your bill.

fifrat likes this.
  7. MSTM

MSTM Greenhorn

I work for another TV provider so I don't have any skin in this particular dispute, but I think everyone needs to hold Fox just as responsible or more responsible for this situation. These channels come into the TV providers and demand ridiculous increases in their payments and they know the only recourse the TV provider has is to not carry their channels. If RFD-TV tried this, great, but when a channel that carries college football does it, it's like legalized blackmail.

Call Fox Networks and complain just as much as you complain to DirecTV.

GoSTATE, NJAggie, dash and 1 other person like this.
  8. CowboyOrangeFan

CowboyOrangeFan Bro-Lo El Cuñado A/V Subscriber

I am not going to blame either side. They are two huge companies arguing over millions of dollars. I have no idea who is right, and I don't care. However I will take advantage of the opportunity to get some free/discounted stuff out of DirecTV. Then if it does drag on for too long, I will just switch to someone else. I can't go without FX for very long.

9. snuffy

snuffy Deep Thoughts. Staff A/V Subscriber

Direct TV is running ad's saying Fox is asking for a 40% bump in payment to keep the same channels, it this true?

10. Chris H.

Chris H. administrator emeritus A/V Subscriber

That's like asking a politician if anything coming out of their mouth is true. It's all a mess.

11. Chris H.

Chris H. administrator emeritus A/V Subscriber

I appreciate that this post was made before today's TV announcement therefore guaranteeing that we would have an ABC/ESPN/Disney/Pixar broadcast instead of Fox. Well done, sir, well done!

12. Two Healthy Poo's

Two Healthy Poo's Deputy

yes, News Corp. (parent co. who owns Fox) wants a 40% increase on their channel lineup from DirecTV. News Corp is notorious for unreasonabley aggressive tactics. News Corp and Fox did the same thing last year with Dish Network, Cablevision and Time Warner Cable and now it's DirecTV, since DirecTV's contract is up with them. They have been doing business this way for a long time and have had more disputes than any other channel owner.

13. feelthemusic8

feelthemusic8 Wrangler A/V Subscriber

Too bad they didn't pull Faux News as well, that would be a descent trade off.

14. Family of Pokes

Family of Pokes Deputy

I love the smell of lib-prog irony in the afternoon...

swamppoke likes this.
  15. ONLYOSTATE

ONLYOSTATE Wrangler

I can't believe this either! I have thought about calling, but wasn't sure it would do any good-now i think i will! thanks for the post!

16. jdennis095

jdennis095 Hooked On 8 Seconds A/V Subscriber

I called DirectTV last week to complain because I thought I might end up missing an away game. Luckily the rest of our games have been picked up by ABC/ESPN. Either way, they sent me to a web site http://www.ourpromisetoyou.com/ . It pisses me off to no end that they can take channels away from me and still charge me the same price each month. I'm like CowboyOrangeFan. If they cancel the Fox channels I want a discount on my monthly bill or I want out of my contract.

17. jdennis095

jdennis095 Hooked On 8 Seconds A/V Subscriber

Here are a list of channels that will be interupted. Where is our DirectTV guy that post on here?

[​IMG]
    NetworksPossiblyAffected

• We are doing everything we can to avoid a disruption, but it’s possible that these channels could be suspended on Nov. 1.
      Your local FOX broadcast station and Fox News Channel are NOT affected.

• National Networks
      • Fox Deportes
      • FUEL TV
      • FX
      • Fox Soccer
      • Fox Soccer Plus
      • Fox Movie Channel
      • National Geographic Channel
      • Speed

• Regional Sports Networks
      • FS Arizona
      • FS Cincinnati
      • FS Detroit
      • FS Florida
      • FS Midwest
      • FS North
      • FS Southwest
      • FS South
      • FS West
      • FS Ohio
      • Prime Ticket
      • Sun Sports
      • Sports South

18. PerryPoke77

PerryPoke77 Cowboy

Just called DirecTV and they told me they will not be letting people out of their contracts and they will not be doing any discounting if they lose those channels. This is complete BS on their part!! I called and made them document my call on their log. I switched from Cox to DirecTV and thought it was a good move at the time cause Cox was raping me with the charges. Not looking so good now. Representative stated when you signed your contract it says subject to losing channels and subject to price changes. Cable providers are very crooked companies!!!!!! Very pissed off now!

19. jp20798

jp20798 Deputy

;) Or they could keep Fox and raise your bill 40%? I dropped Cableone a few years ago because Fox did the same thing to them. Fox did this to Dish last year, now its just DirecTv's turn. I'm starting to think the issue might be with Fox.

20. CowboyOrangeFan

CowboyOrangeFan Bro-Lo El Cuñado A/V Subscriber

That is why it is much easier to haggle with them when you aren't under contract (as is my case). I have no doubt (I mean seriously no doubt) I will be getting something free out of this.