1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Does the Big 12 need to add 2 more members?

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by colin1497, Dec 7, 2011.

1. PistolPete'sMustache

PistolPete'sMustache Sheriff A/V Subscriber

I still think the Big 12 should have taken Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, and USF to get to 14. The south division would still dominate, but not sure how to really rectify that but hope someone comes out of the north as a powerful program. But with the Big Easts' new additions, I think that boat has sailed.

2. Josh Mudbottom

Josh Mudbottom Wrangler

If Big 12 invites Louisville and Cincy they would bolt immediately. The teams they added are just a temporary band-aid.

Charlie Strong at Louisville is already telling recruits Louisville will be in the Big 12.
    http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/201...telling-recruits-theyre-headed-for-the-big-12

NJAggie likes this.
  3. colin1497

colin1497 Never throw the Venus in the Spider 3 Y Banana! A/V Subscriber

We need Cincy -- they're all class.

[​IMG]

4. NJAggie

NJAggie Sheriff

Yeah was watching when that happened. Very strange, and there wasn't anything that you could see that led up to it.

5. Slugger926

Slugger926 Territorial Marshal

Maybe we could steal some SEC and ACC teams? GA, Auburn, Miami, and a school from Miss.?

We could be bigger than the SEC.

The Big 12 doesn't need to sell itself short.

6. IrishCowboy

IrishCowboy Deputy

I know this is a longshot, but what about Iowa.

They are an afterthought in most everything in the Big 10, except wrestling.

I know the Big 10 is writing big time checks to its members, and that makes this very unlikely, but Iowa would have a natural rival with ISU.

Not going to happen, I know. Regionally it would work. Financially they wont' leave though, and why would they, this conference is a train wreck.

Nevermind.

7. Celldweller7

Celldweller7 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

Nope, we can't be bigger than the SEC. First off, the SEC has more money and bigger fan bases than the Big 12. That is the real reason UT & OU don't want to be in the SEC, too many schools close to their levels of funds & fans. Also, why would teams in the SEC leave the most powerful and stable conference in the NCAA to join one of the least stable conferences? They'd take a pay cut and they would lessen their national exposure.

As for the ACC, why leave stability? The ACC is geographically gelled together, the schools fit really well in terms of focus (though FSU was mad about them taking more basketball schools and pushing away the football focused ones). There is no reason for them to leave to go to the tittering Big 12.

We can poach the BE because of their own instability and the financial gap.
    They also have no interest in belonging to the same conference as ISU. I think they view their B1G membership as a point of superiority to ISU.

DatTallGuy likes this.
  8. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Sheriff

SEC really isn't any more visible than the Big 12 nationally, they just have more name brand programs. Auburn took plenty of time to get noticed last year, even though they were in the SEC West. I agree that a move from the SEC to the Big 12 in unlikely, but not altogether impossible, especially for the bottom of the conference. I could see Ole Miss or Mississippi State getting fed up and joining the Big 12 if it weren't for the money, which the Big 12 could gain ground on. There is also always the chance to steal a major program that wants to free up 3rd tier broadcasting rights (albeit a tiny chance).

9. Slugger926

Slugger926 Territorial Marshal

But there has to be some schools that are pissed in the SEC because they aren't ever near the top.

10. Cowboy2

Cowboy2 Doesn't have #Ebola. A/V Subscriber

Does the Big XII need to add two more teams?

Let me ask you; does a bear poop in the woods?

11. okiest86

okiest86 Cowboy

I think the conference is waiting for the West Virginia legal issue to playout before they make a move. If WVU can't leave for 23 months, the Big XII invites Louisville and a non-Big East school that can join immediately to get us to 10 for next year. If WVU gets released for next year then Louisville and the Cinncinatti Boxing squad make sense.

12. NJAggie

NJAggie Sheriff

There's a lot of chatter out there about Louisville getting an invite as early as March.

13. CrazySooner

CrazySooner Sheriff

Should the Big 12 add two more?

Yes they should. Had OSU beaten OU the week before and played in a real conference championship game, then OSU would be headed to Nawlins instead of Phoenix.

Nothing wrong with the Fiesta Bowl...but OSU got bent over the table without any lube!

That said, unfortunately people see that extra game and try to say it is more important than the other 12 because it is another game to potentially lose. Thank the big 12 for this thinking too. If it weren't for KSU losing to A&M in 1998 with KSU eyeballing the first ever BCS title game, then things may have been a little different.

Not to mention Texas losing to Colorado and Missouri (2007) losting to Oklahoma as well.

I cannot recall another conference championship game in another conference where the favored team lost...and by doing so changing the complexion of the BCS title game.

hillsborotxcowboy likes this.
  14. PokesPeak

PokesPeak a division of TacoCorpĀ© A/V Subscriber

inviting louisville if WV can't get out for 23 months makes no sense... louisville is in the big east also.

15. Celldweller7

Celldweller7 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

I believe the schools in the SEC have their 3rd tier rights. What you are saying makes logical sense, but I think it is underestimating the cultural pride the fan bases & programs have by belonging to the SEC. Remember, this is a conference where fans chant the conference name. There is a loyalty and pride amongst SEC schools that doesn't exist in the Big 12.

All I can think of fans chanting "S-E-C! S-E-C!" I just don't think these programs think that way.

16. okiest86

okiest86 Cowboy

If WVU is stuck until 2014, we add a Non- Big East Team next year (say BYU) to stay at 10 and protect our TV contracts. Then Louisville and WVU join together in 2014 to reach 12. If WVU get released then the precedent is set and we should be able to get WVU, Louisville and Cinncinatti all for 2012.

17. Busterz

Busterz Deputy

I think the only SEC school we might have a shot at is Kentucky. They've never really been competitive in football and they might be able to make more money off basketball with their own network. Maybe. 3% chance.

18. Busterz

Busterz Deputy

Its getting pretty late in the day for teams to be switching for 2012. I can only imagine it would wreak havoc on schedules.

I'm all for an alternative to Cincinatti. Louisville is fine I guess if we are going to have WV.

19. ashpkt

ashpkt Cowboy

20. ashpkt

ashpkt Cowboy

Albeit stupid, I'll play along with this idea of prying away an SEC team or two...

The only SEC teams that I ever see considering a move to the Big XII are Kentucky, Arkansas, and Tennessee as a longshot if they continue to suck at FB.

I would say Kentucky b/c they have almost no shot at competing in SEC FB. With the checks they're cashing from CBS/ESPN maybe they don't care. UK's expenses in FB are barely ahead of BB expenses (-cough- Calipari -cough-). The combination of UK and KU in the same conference would be intriguing on the hardwood. West Virginia, Louisville, and Kentucky would make a natural Big XII East Division.

Arkansas is just a natural, regional fit. Who knows, maybe they'll get tired of running into 'Bama and LSU every year and reconsider being in Big XII, especially if placed in a north division away from OU & Texas.

Tennessee is a longshot but they are getting left behind in the SEC. I never thought it would take this long to rebuild. I guess Fulmer is Tennessee's R.C. Slocum.