VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Hey now. I think dst should be gone..... But I think the electoral college works just fine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Lol, I've had a coworker talk about it every day this week, just dying for the rest of us to chime on & really get worked up about it. I was just ignoring it yesterday & she zeroed in on me & said something like 'does dst not really bother you, too?' I just said 'No, I really don't have the energy or desire to care that much about it.'

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
How crazy will it be if the National polls are correct and trump still wins. 54/46 split on the national vote but trump still wins electorally, imagine the unrest if that happens.
Better question, what happens to professional pollsters if Trump wins the popular vote...
Luntz has already said it would be a death knell for polling as we know it today.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
I agree. Lockdowns, Fear and Anarchy have all happened under the Trump admin. If you do not like how things are going now. Then VOTE to change them!
C'mon, be honest here.
Lockdowns are set by the state based on federal advice, which ironically, is the direction the left wants to go back to.

Fear? What law abiding person is in fear? I am not talking worried that some perceived nicety of life may be restricted, but actual fear of harm or death?

Anarchy? If you believe that, it is not even worth a rebuttal.

Aug 16, 2012
We’ve had family in the area for about 20 years. Loved visiting, but just moved here from Houston in 2018. Thanks for pioneering the way.
Well, when more of your family wants to head this way, am in the final stages of prepping our house for sale.
3100 SF
2-story
4 bed, 3.5 bath, bonus room, dining, office, open kitchen.
3-car garage detached with covered breezeway
13,000 +/- lot 80' wide in back yard with extensive mature trees
Covered front porch
Pool
Small neighborhood (+/- 80 homes) with only one way in, one way out so no through traffic.
HOA that typically does nothing but makes sure the common area grounds get mowed. Annual dues are a steal at something like $300/year. But then again, no real amenities to address (the biggest hickey compared to the new neighborhoods).

Will hit the market at $480k.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
C'mon, be honest here.
Lockdowns are set by the state based on federal advice, which ironically, is the direction the left wants to go back to.

Fear? What law abiding person is in fear? I am not talking worried that some perceived nicety of life may be restricted, but actual fear of harm or death?

Anarchy? If you believe that, it is not even worth a rebuttal.
He'd be first in line to call him a Tyrant if Trump had handed down Federal mandates to the states & we all know it.

I won't dig back forever to find it, but you can rest assured he flooded this thread with tweets from the geniuses who called the China travel ban racist & xenophobic, for a couple of weeks before they changed their tune to 'we're not doing enough!'

Gotta keep those goalposts moving.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
If you have to be confronted with "facts" to know selling weapons to North Korea is bad you don't belong as the POTUS.
He thinks out loud...are you really not aware of that fact? He's not selling weapons to North Korea... Btw, it's better than the guy who is having trouble (Bless his heart) thinking at all.
He sold nukes to Saudi Arabia. So not out of the question he would do it. Then the GOP would likely defend him.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
He'd be first in line to call him a Tyrant if Trump had handed down Federal mandates to the states & we all know it.

I won't dig back forever to find it, but you can rest assured he flooded this thread with tweets from the geniuses who called the China travel ban racist & xenophobic, for a couple of weeks before they changed their tune to 'we're not doing enough!'

Gotta keep those goalposts moving.
Trump considering enforced travel ban in 3 states

Never thought I would see a POTUS ever utter these words

https://twitter.com/glennkirschner2/status/1243950797181915136?s=19
just a quick search

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
That...wouldn't be good. That might be a worst case scenario. The last time that many people felt like their vote wouldn't effect anything they tried to leave the country en mass.

It would also mark 7 out of the last 8 elections that the Dems had won the popular vote but lost the electoral college. Damn near 40 years with the R's only win being in 2004.
If they actually did leave the country in-mass...are you saying that wouldn't be good? :rolleyes:
Per capita city dwellers do more for the gdp than rural. So it would actually be better to lose rural population by basic math.

The top 20 metros that are Blue cities account for 50% of the US gdp.

Aug 16, 2012
Per capita city dwellers do more for the gdp than rural. So it would actually be better to lose rural population by basic math.

The top 20 metros that are Blue cities account for 50% of the US gdp.
Pretty sure you were one of the people stating left/right/who is president cannot take credit for GDP, unemployment, etc. But take NY for example. It is what it is from a business perspective not because of the color of the campaign banner for a mayor. Same for LA. Think billions upon billions upon billions would suddenly stop flowing through Long Beach if the republicans led the local government?

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Voting for a platform is what I do...the platform I vote for happens to be the one that is the closest to my views. You be you...I'll vote for policy and platform EVERY time. I'll vote for life over death...for freedom over fear...for policy over politics...for peace over war...for lower taxes over high taxes...for state and local over federal. It's an easy choice for me.
I feel like you must chant that yourself.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Pretty sure you were one of the people stating left/right/who is president cannot take credit for GDP, unemployment, etc. But take NY for example. It is what it is from a business perspective not because of the color of the campaign banner for a mayor. Same for LA. Think billions upon billions upon billions would suddenly stop flowing through Long Beach if the republicans led the local government?
No, I am saying cities that have been blue for decades drive the bulk of economy.

You guys trash liberal policy for restricting growth when it is the liberal cities that drive the growth.

Sure it is a bipartisan effort even in those cities but you all trash the cities because they are "lawless and burning with riots" (not singling out you that is saying this). When if reality life has continued in every city 99.9% unchanged from the protests/riots and they are still driving what is the modern US economy.

Aug 16, 2012
No, I am saying cities that have been blue for decades drive the bulk of economy.

You guys trash liberal policy for restricting growth when it is the liberal cities that drive the growth.

Sure it is a bipartisan effort even in those cities but you all trash the cities because they are "lawless and burning with riots" (not singling out you that is saying this). When if reality life has continued in every city 99.9% unchanged from the protests/riots and they are still driving what is the modern US economy.
First, I agree with you in regard to the vast majority of people/businesses are not affected by lawlessness in certain areas, but you cannot discount that these issues are predominantly in left-run cities.

But here is the quandary. You state democratic policies drive growth, yet of the cities with the top 20 poverty rate, the overwhelming majority are run by democrats (republicans bolded below). Point is, there are so many things that drive certain industries in certain areas. (A kudo to anyone who can tell me why Denver/Front Range was one of the first hubs for telecommunication). Harbors, natural resources, work force, education, weather, even tradition, the list goes on and on. The key to the whole deal, is what is done with the benefits of having a high "GDP" for a particular location. Clearly, the dems are falling behind in this aspect.

For poverty (Statistica, 2019)
1. Detroit
2. Philly
3. Houston
4. El Paso
5. Dallas
6. Boston
7. San Antonio
8. Los Angeles
9. Chicago
10. Columbus
11. NYC
12. OKC
13. Indy

14. Phoenix
15. Jacksonville, FL
16. DC
17. Nashville
18. Austin
19. Fort Worth
20. Denver

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
First, I agree with you in regard to the vast majority of people/businesses are not affected by lawlessness in certain areas, but you cannot discount that these issues are predominantly in left-run cities.

But here is the quandary. You state democratic policies drive growth, yet of the cities with the top 20 poverty rate, the overwhelming majority are run by democrats (republicans bolded below). Point is, there are so many things that drive certain industries in certain areas. (A kudo to anyone who can tell me why Denver/Front Range was one of the first hubs for telecommunication). Harbors, natural resources, work force, education, weather, even tradition, the list goes on and on. The key to the whole deal, is what is done with the benefits of having a high "GDP" for a particular location. Clearly, the dems are falling behind in this aspect.
Yeah, most cities are "Blue" by a huge margin so any ranking of cities is going to be mostly blue. For instance the list of cities with lowest poverty rates is mostly Blue cities.

What are the 10 best red city economies anyway? I can't even think of any that stand out.

Let's look at state level poverty.

10 lowest poverty states. (All lean blue except Utah and NH which is even)

1. NH 2. HI 3. MD 4. UT 5. NJ 6. CO 7. MN 8. MA 9. WA 10. CT

10 Highest Poverty States. (All but 2 are red leans...6 of 10 make the most red states period)

50. MS 49. NM. 48. LA 47. WV 46. AR 45. KY 44. AL 45. OK 44. SC 43. TN 42. TX 41. GA 40. MI

I find it funny 4 of the top 7 cities come from Red Texas. Which is not a surprise since TX is top 10 as a state.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
In other words you want us to vote for the party who props protestors/rioters/statue topplers/vandals and city burners up and supported that? AND when they are arrested they bail them out to go do more of the same. That's not voting for freedom when you conceded to lawlessness you invite more of the same everytime it's politically expedient.
If you are voting for a party, then you are doing it wrong. I will be voting for many different candidates across parties. Party Line voting is about the dumbest idea on the planet
It really shouldn’t even be an Option to vote straight ticket. Way too many people so this which also impacts campaigning and what candidates promise you. They know so many % of Rs and Ds will vote for them 100% of the time. They don’t even have to try to earn their vote.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
How crazy will it be if the National polls are correct and trump still wins. 54/46 split on the national vote but trump still wins electorally, imagine the unrest if that happens.
Personally, I am not a big fan of the winner take all approach. I do appreciate the electoral college, and would like to preserve that. But I think it would be A more accurate representation of the will of the people to appropriate electoral college votes based on the popular vote of that state. So many millions of Republicans in California would get a say, andmillions of Democrats in Texas would get a say. Otherwise so many millions of people in D or R Strongholds really could simply just not vote because their vote doesn’t make any difference with a winner take all system.

It would additionally mean that a republican candidate would have to actually spend some time and effort in places like Oklahoma and a Democrat wouldn’t be able to Take California and new York for granted

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Edmond Church of Christ is reporting a 3.5 hr wait to vote right now
I voted there this morning. Got there at 9am stood in the rain for the first hour and a half. Then cold wind for the next 2 hours. Got back to my car at 12:35. A lady in her 70's about 5 people ahead of me stood in that same line when we literally made it the the entrance doors, she collapsed and they had to call an ambulance for her. We had to step around her to get in the door. It was extremely sad. When I exited, the paramedics were still working on her.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver

For poverty (Statistica, 2019)
1. Detroit
2. Philly
3. Houston
4. El Paso
5. Dallas
6. Boston
7. San Antonio
8. Los Angeles
9. Chicago
10. Columbus
11. NYC
12. OKC
13. Indy

14. Phoenix
15. Jacksonville, FL
16. DC
17. Nashville
18. Austin
19. Fort Worth
20. Denver
Also just saw that rural areas have on average a 16% poverty rate and Urban have a 12%.

Which makes sense. Cities are where more jobs are. Hence why they create higher gdp and draw people of all types.

Will be interesting to see how that changes in the next few years. Think we may see a bit of an exodus from lots of cities.