VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
First, I agree with you in regard to the vast majority of people/businesses are not affected by lawlessness in certain areas, but you cannot discount that these issues are predominantly in left-run cities.

But here is the quandary. You state democratic policies drive growth, yet of the cities with the top 20 poverty rate, the overwhelming majority are run by democrats (republicans bolded below). Point is, there are so many things that drive certain industries in certain areas. (A kudo to anyone who can tell me why Denver/Front Range was one of the first hubs for telecommunication). Harbors, natural resources, work force, education, weather, even tradition, the list goes on and on. The key to the whole deal, is what is done with the benefits of having a high "GDP" for a particular location. Clearly, the dems are falling behind in this aspect.

For poverty (Statistica, 2019)
1. Detroit
2. Philly
3. Houston
4. El Paso
5. Dallas
6. Boston
7. San Antonio
8. Los Angeles
9. Chicago
10. Columbus
11. NYC
12. OKC
13. Indy

14. Phoenix
15. Jacksonville, FL
16. DC
17. Nashville
18. Austin
19. Fort Worth
20. Denver
are you talking Mayors?!

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Better question, what happens to professional pollsters if Trump wins the popular vote...
If they follow suit of so many industries, they will get a raise
Also just saw that rural areas have on average a 16% poverty rate and Urban have a 12%.

Which makes sense. Cities are where more jobs are. Hence why they create higher gdp and draw people of all types.

Will be interesting to see how that changes in the next few years. Think we may see a bit of an exodus from lots of cities.
Without looking at it, these are what I would expect. But remember, 16% of a smaller number (I found 57 million living in areas deemed rural) is a lot less than 12% of a bigger number (272 million in areas deemed urban). Roughly 3.5 times less. So the overall percentage is greater, but the impact is felt by 3.5 times more people in urban areas.

I am not completely sold on the exodus yet. yeah, probably a noticeable tick, but I think there is still going to be way more people in urban areas. I fear more cities are going to end up like Detroit where the burbs go on for miles while the only people left in the city are poor (a bit of an exaggeration, but not too far off). Not exactly sure who would be heading for the burbs either but I do not think it is going to be the people deemed to be in poverty.
Yeah agreed, cities policies have more of an impact. So I think federal laws and leaders should be more geared to help cities and the needs of the people who live in them. Since that is where most people are and most of the money is made.

Yeah their local governments have a huge impact but lots of federal decisions have big impacts. Especially when a POTUS labels them anarchist "hell holes" and threatens to withhold funding cause they don't support him to his liking.

Aug 16, 2012
Yeah agreed, cities policies have more of an impact. So I think federal laws and leaders should be more geared to help cities and the needs of the people who live in them. Since that is where most people are and most of the money is made.

Yeah their local governments have a huge impact but lots of federal decisions have big impacts. Especially when a POTUS labels them anarchist "hell holes" and threatens to withhold funding cause they don't support him to his liking.
Do not mind paying taxes as I see it as a necessary evil but as one who would prefer smaller government, I would get behind more of what I pay be state/local. Understand there are a lot of things feds do but roughly 2 out of every 3 dollars goes to the feds, 20% to states and the remaining 13% to cities. Cannot see why the federal rate could not be cut to around 50% and let the states handle more of the burden directly. But that is a 25% reduction and the powers that be would never go for anything like it.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Wow, Glenn Greenwald has resigned from The Intercept

Full resignation post here: https://greenwald.substack.com/p/my-resignation-from-the-intercept

Here is the article that started it all: https://greenwald.substack.com/p/article-on-joe-and-hunter-biden-censored

My Resignation From The Intercept
The same trends of repression, censorship and ideological homogeneity plaguing the national press generally have engulfed the media outlet I co-founded, culminating in censorship of my own articles.

Today I sent my intention to resign from The Intercept, the news outlet I co-founded in 2013 with Jeremy Scahill and Laura Poitras, as well as from its parent company First Look Media.

The final, precipitating cause is that The Intercept’s editors, in violation of my contractual right of editorial freedom, censored an article I wrote this week, refusing to publish it unless I remove all sections critical of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, the candidate vehemently supported by all New-York-based Intercept editors involved in this effort at suppression.

The censored article, based on recently revealed emails and witness testimony, raised critical questions about Biden’s conduct. Not content to simply prevent publication of this article at the media outlet I co-founded, these Intercept editors also demanded that I refrain from exercising a separate contractual right to publish this article with any other publication.

I had no objection to their disagreement with my views of what this Biden evidence shows: as a last-ditch attempt to avoid being censored, I encouraged them to air their disagreements with me by writing their own articles that critique my perspectives and letting readers decide who is right, the way any confident and healthy media outlet would. But modern media outlets do not air dissent; they quash it. So censorship of my article, rather than engagement with it, was the path these Biden-supporting editors chose.

The censored article will be published on this page shortly (it is now published here, and the emails with Intercept editors showing the censorship are here). My letter of intent to resign, which I sent this morning to First Look Media’s President Michael Bloom, is published below.

As of now, I will be publishing my journalism here on Substack, where numerous other journalists, including my good friend, the great intrepid reporter Matt Taibbi, have come in order to practice journalism free of the increasingly repressive climate that is engulfing national mainstream media outlets across the country.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

Full resignation post here: https://greenwald.substack.com/p/my-resignation-from-the-intercept

Here is the article that started it all: https://greenwald.substack.com/p/article-on-joe-and-hunter-biden-censored

The same trends of repression, censorship and ideological homogeneity plaguing the national press generally have engulfed the media outlet I co-founded, culminating in censorship of my own articles.

Today I sent my intention to resign from The Intercept, the news outlet I co-founded in 2013 with Jeremy Scahill and Laura Poitras, as well as from its parent company First Look Media.

The final, precipitating cause is that The Intercept’s editors, in violation of my contractual right of editorial freedom, censored an article I wrote this week, refusing to publish it unless I remove all sections critical of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, the candidate vehemently supported by all New-York-based Intercept editors involved in this effort at suppression.

The censored article, based on recently revealed emails and witness testimony, raised critical questions about Biden’s conduct. Not content to simply prevent publication of this article at the media outlet I co-founded, these Intercept editors also demanded that I refrain from exercising a separate contractual right to publish this article with any other publication.

I had no objection to their disagreement with my views of what this Biden evidence shows: as a last-ditch attempt to avoid being censored, I encouraged them to air their disagreements with me by writing their own articles that critique my perspectives and letting readers decide who is right, the way any confident and healthy media outlet would. But modern media outlets do not air dissent; they quash it. So censorship of my article, rather than engagement with it, was the path these Biden-supporting editors chose.

The censored article will be published on this page shortly (it is now published here, and the emails with Intercept editors showing the censorship are here). My letter of intent to resign, which I sent this morning to First Look Media’s President Michael Bloom, is published below.

As of now, I will be publishing my journalism here on Substack, where numerous other journalists, including my good friend, the great intrepid reporter Matt Taibbi, have come in order to practice journalism free of the increasingly repressive climate that is engulfing national mainstream media outlets across the country.
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1322157600943808524

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1321953963462160384

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1321956731606323201

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1321959248100810755

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1321961764645425153

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Edmond Church of Christ is reporting a 3.5 hr wait to vote right now
I voted there this morning. Got there at 9am stood in the rain for the first hour and a half. Then cold wind for the next 2 hours. Got back to my car at 12:35. A lady in her 70's about 5 people ahead of me stood in that same line when we literally made it the the entrance doors, she collapsed and they had to call an ambulance for her. We had to step around her to get in the door. It was extremely sad. When I exited, the paramedics were still working on her.
???? Do you know if she's ok? That's crazy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
He sold nukes to Saudi Arabia. So not out of the question he would do it. Then the GOP would likely defend him.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-saudi-security-idUSKCN11D2JQ
I share your concern...but inform yourself about our arms sales to Saudi Arabia over time prior to getting too bent. What this Administration did was just continue what was already happening for the past six or seven Administrations. Plus what I'm reading and finding on the web is that he didn't sell them Nuclear weaponry, but Nuclear technology. Still, I agree, something we should all keep an eye on with any Administration...In the past I've been very concerned with the Democratic Administrations release of technology to the CCP...at least this is an Ally.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
???? Do you know if she's ok? That's crazy.

No I dont. As I exited after voting, the paramedics still had her in the ground working on her. I just had to keep walking because there were 100's of people in that area alone. The line coming in the building and the line wrapping around the building. Moral of the story is, don't try to early vote in Oklahoma County if you can do it instead on Tuesday when all polling places open. I had to do it yesterday due to work scheduling next week. But it's insane right now.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1322157600943808524

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1321953963462160384

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1321956731606323201

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1321959248100810755

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1321961764645425153
That is a red herring. This isn't about the Swiss document. The laptop emails are real and have been verified by a cyber security firm. One of the people in the email chains has corroborated the information with his own email account.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yeah, most cities are "Blue" by a huge margin so any ranking of cities is going to be mostly blue. For instance the list of cities with lowest poverty rates is mostly Blue cities.

What are the 10 best red city economies anyway? I can't even think of any that stand out.

Let's look at state level poverty.

10 lowest poverty states. (All lean blue except Utah and NH which is even)

1. NH 2. HI 3. MD 4. UT 5. NJ 6. CO 7. MN 8. MA 9. WA 10. CT

10 Highest Poverty States. (All but 2 are red leans...6 of 10 make the most red states period)

50. MS 49. NM. 48. LA 47. WV 46. AR 45. KY 44. AL 45. OK 44. SC 43. TN 42. TX 41. GA 40. MI

I find it funny 4 of the top 7 cities come from Red Texas. Which is not a surprise since TX is top 10 as a state.
I think it's a false way to look at this. If you look at cities, most quality of life rankings aren't going to include a ton of smaller cities...which is where the best quality of life is found. These cities also aren't red or blue for exceptionally long periods of time...except from some notable exceptions like NYC and San Francisco. For example San Diego was Red forever and only recently and occasionally Blue, as are other Military and Energy based cities. So these types of studies aren't as academic as partisans would like them to be, nor do they represent the periods of time that it takes cities to be considered great. Typically that takes both sides of the political isle over time and not too much partisanship in terms of governance. Look, I've used these studies on occasion as well...but they really don't mean much unless they take account of the city history over 50 years or so. Examples like LA where homelessness is rampant or Chi town where violent crime is rampant aren't often included in these studies. Also, big cities typically tend to move more democratic as they grow and get less manageable due to size...not sure why...but they do.