VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Defunding the police was not good intent. Harming public safety is abhorrent.
You do understand that the intent was to hire people to do the work that the police are not qualified for but are a community need, like mental health, homelessness and substance abuse issues?

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Defunding the police was not good intent. Harming public safety is abhorrent.
What does ‘defund the police’ mean and does it have merit?

“Defund the police” means reallocating or redirecting funding away from the police department to other government agencies funded by the local municipality. That’s it. It’s that simple. Defund does not mean abolish policing. And, even some who say abolish, do not necessarily mean to do away with law enforcement altogether. Rather, they want to see the rotten trees of policing chopped down and fresh roots replanted anew. Camden, New Jersey, is a good example. Nearly a decade ago, Camden disbanded (abolished) its police force and dissolved the local police union. This approach seems to be what Minneapolis will do in some form, though the nuances are important.

What does 'defund the police' mean? The rallying cry sweeping the US – explained

For years, community groups have advocated for defunding law enforcement – taking money away from police and prisons – and reinvesting those funds in services. The basic principle is that government budgets and “public safety” spending should prioritize housing, employment, community health, education and other vital programs, instead of police officers.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
You do understand that the intent was to hire people to do the work that the police are not qualified for but are a community need, like mental health, homelessness and substance abuse issues?
This. Cops often get put in positions where they aren't properly trained.

Defund the police isn't eliminate the police. It's stupid wording. Update the police is is more appropriate.

We need cops. And they don't deserve to be left on an island every time a 911 call goes out.

Mar 11, 2006
I think you are being gullible. Should I quote the myriad of statements from BLM leaders and other that the goal is to “abolish the police”?

There is a reason that Biden, and even Obama, don’t endorse the horrible Defund the police movement. I think we are seeing posters outing themselves as left of Obama, which is fine if you want ....but if you are aligning yourself with Ihan Omar —- you may want to reconsider your position.

Mar 11, 2006
What does ‘defund the police’ mean and does it have merit?

“Defund the police” means reallocating or redirecting funding away from the police department to other government agencies funded by the local municipality. That’s it. It’s that simple. Defund does not mean abolish policing. And, even some who say abolish, do not necessarily mean to do away with law enforcement altogether. Rather, they want to see the rotten trees of policing chopped down and fresh roots replanted anew. Camden, New Jersey, is a good example. Nearly a decade ago, Camden disbanded (abolished) its police force and dissolved the local police union. This approach seems to be what Minneapolis will do in some form, though the nuances are important.

What does 'defund the police' mean? The rallying cry sweeping the US – explained

For years, community groups have advocated for defunding law enforcement – taking money away from police and prisons – and reinvesting those funds in services. The basic principle is that government budgets and “public safety” spending should prioritize housing, employment, community health, education and other vital programs, instead of police officers.
You may want to tell some BLM leaders it doesn’t mean to abolish the police. They apparently are not getting your message.
‘If you are defending defunding and/or abolishing the police, you have a completely different mindset than me. Probably not want I even need to debate, because that is just an outrageous idea, IMO.

I am a big police supporter and will continue to be.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
I think you are being gullible. Should I quote the myriad of statements from BLM leaders and other that the goal is to “abolish the police”?

There is a reason that Biden and even Obama don’t endorse the horrible Defund the police moveme too.
defund the police means different things to different people and groups...
Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that growing calls to "defund the police" are not about eliminating police departments, but about reinvesting funds toward "the resources that our communities need."
Why it matters: Some activists say the only solution to fixing systemic issues in law enforcement is to defund and dramatically scale back police forces nationwide. But some Republicans, including President Trump, have seized on the politically charged slogan to paint Democrats as radicals.
What she's saying: "So much of policing right now is generated and directed towards quality-of-life issues, homelessness, drug addiction, domestic violence," Garza said. "What we do need is increased funding for housing, we need increased funding for education, we need increased funding for quality of life of communities who are over-policed and over-surveilled."

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
You may want to tell some BLM leaders it doesn’t mean to abolish the police. They apparently are not getting your message.
‘If you are defending defunding and/or abolishing the police, you have a completely different mindset than me. Probably not want I even need to debate, because that is just an outrageous idea, IMO.

I am a big police supporter and will continue to be.
Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that growing calls to "defund the police" are not about eliminating police departments, but about reinvesting funds toward "the resources that our communities need."
Why it matters: Some activists say the only solution to fixing systemic issues in law enforcement is to defund and dramatically scale back police forces nationwide. But some Republicans, including President Trump, have seized on the politically charged slogan to paint Democrats as radicals.
What she's saying: "So much of policing right now is generated and directed towards quality-of-life issues, homelessness, drug addiction, domestic violence," Garza said. "What we do need is increased funding for housing, we need increased funding for education, we need increased funding for quality of life of communities who are over-policed and over-surveilled."

Mar 11, 2006
Some gems from a NY Times opted “Yes, We mean literally Abolish the Police”

“Cut the number of police in half and cut their budget in half. Fewer police officers equals fewer opportunities for them to brutalize and kill people.”
“policing as we know it must be abolished before it can be transformed.”
“We don’t want to just close police departments. We want to make them obsolete.”
“People like me who want to abolish prisons and police, however, have a vision of a different society, built on cooperation instead of individualism, on mutual aid instead of self-preservation”

I know we have a LOT of different views and ideologies on this board. However, I never thought we would see posters on here defending the Defund the Police movement.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

There is a reason that Biden, and even Obama, don’t endorse the horrible Defund the police movement. I think we are seeing posters outing themselves as left of Obama, which is fine if you want ....but if you are aligning yourself with Ihan Omar —- you may want to reconsider your position.
Much like the words feminist, conservative and Christian along with many others the meanings are varied, I explained to you what I meant and support.

Oct 7, 2008
Some gems from a NY Times opted “Yes, We mean literally Abolish the Police”

“Cut the number of police in half and cut their budget in half. Fewer police officers equals fewer opportunities for them to brutalize and kill people.”
“policing as we know it must be abolished before it can be transformed.”
“We don’t want to just close police departments. We want to make them obsolete.”
“People like me who want to abolish prisons and police, however, have a vision of a different society, built on cooperation instead of individualism, on mutual aid instead of self-preservation”

I know we have a LOT of different views and ideologies on this board. However, I never thought we would see posters on here defending the Defund the Police movement.
Some of us are smart enough not to cherry pick the most extreme interpretation of Defund the Police and run with it.

Mar 11, 2006
Some of us are smart enough not to cherry pick the most extreme interpretation of Defund the Police and run with it.
Love how The NY Times is extreme ....now. LOL

BTW, maybe you didn’t realize Mariame Kaba was quoted by several groups that have pushed Defund the Police.

So, like the NYTImes, do you also consider BLM extreme?
”According to BLM Philadelphia organizer and activist YahNé Ndgo, the chapter has developed a five-year plan to abolish the police.

Ndgo said, "One of the things that we are demanding over five years is the complete abolition. We don't want to see any police in our community,. Over the course of those five years, it gives time for the community to begin to build what is needed.”

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2008

BTW, maybe you didn’t realize Mariame Kaba was quoted by several groups that have pushed Defund the Police.

”According to BLM Philadelphia organizer and activist YahNé Ndgo, the chapter has developed a five-year plan to abolish the police.

Ndgo said, "One of the things that we are demanding over five years is the complete abolition. We don't want to see any police in our community,. Over the course of those five years, it gives time for the community to begin to build what is needed.”
Good lord how did you manage to twist what I said to mean the NYT is extreme. What a waste of internet space it is trying to talk sense with you.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That'll really screw with the conspiracy theories floating around here by the left.
I mean the "conspiracy theory" was that it was not going to Trump's legal fees actually fighting the election results. So...that is true. It looks like it is just going to pay off his campaign debts and then to a GOP PAC.

"Please contribute $5 RIGHT NOW to the Election Defense Fund to stop the Radical Left from STEALING this Election," one campaign email said.

Most sane people don't include an election in a separate cycle in a separate branch to be the same as stopping the "steal" of the POTUS election.
Hmm. I'd have to dig deeper, but my understanding is that the money Trump is raising, is separate from the gop money, and tha the gop money is the rnc, not a pac.

And does anyone have proof that money Trump is raising is going to debts? All I remember was people floating a screenshot from the winter page that says funds might be used for campaign debt and that it was a general disclaimer for all campaign fundraising through the site. Also, that the disclaimer was removed from Trump's page since it didn't apply.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Good lord how did you manage to twist what I said to mean the NYT is extreme. What a waste of internet space it is trying to talk sense with you.
He thinks that because you called his quotes extreme and they were from the New York times.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Just curious, can anyone point to a city where they have defunded the police which has resulted in positive results? We've all seen the headlines in cities like NYC, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Austin, etc. where violent crime has skyrocketed.

Sep 22, 2011
Thats the problem with using catchy slogans, they tend to mean nothing so they can be used to mean anything. I bet if you polled people who are in favor of “defund the police” a majority of them would be for exactly what you described. Dangerously Naive IMHO but at least well intentioned. But there are more than enough people who literally mean defund the police and typically they are the ones who are in the protests/riots. So who are we to believe? The silent possible majority or the people out on the streets making all the noise?

Mar 11, 2006
You used the term extreme. I provided quotes from the NYTimes. You stated they were extreme examples. You obviously did not know who the author was and the fact she was/is a leader behind the Defund the Police movement.
Comprehension.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.