1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Enjoy tomorrow

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by osurag, Feb 15, 2013.

1. osurag

osurag Wrangler

I envy every person who will attend the game tomorrow. I especially envy the students who have attended games over the past couple of years, but will tomorrow experience for the first time the atmosphere that has made GIA famous in the past

An hour before the game tips off the student section will begin to fill. A chorus of boos will rain down on the boomers when they first take the floor to shoot. An ever louder roar will erupt upon the first appearance of the good guys. Watch the players from both teams get their first exposure to the true meaning of bedlam, as neither team has ever experienced same.

As game time nears and the entire arena begins to fill, there will be an electric buzz that will continue to grow right up to the announcement of the starters. When the band plays the inevitable anthem ending with the chant "We're going to beat the hell out of you" just before tip, the first physical affect of the noise will be felt.

For the first time in years you will not be able to hear the names of the players from OSU in the introduction. The officials will look at each other and know that their ability to communicate will be compromised all day by the noise.

When the first shot is made by OSU the entire arena will erupt. The first turnover by OU and the dunk which follows will bring pain to your ears. Look to your left and right and you will see people, old and young, who have sat on their hands for years yelling and pointing at the losers in red.

As the game nears its end and the inevitable result becomes apparent the noise will begin to roll over you in waves. You will high five strangers who are now like you sold on the impact of this great arena.

As you leave the game remember the goosebumps this environment brought and bank this memory. As we now know there is no guarantee it will last. On Sunday after your ears stop ringing promise yourself a return trip for KU. Make sure that we extend the return of the old girl just one more game.

2. InTheKnow

InTheKnow Usually Last to Know A/V Subscriber

Great stuff! Brings back good memories.

3. Old Indian 75

Old Indian 75 Wrangler

You have spoken very true words, Mr. Rag. My old buddies and I can't wait for the game tomorrow. We have been coming for many years, both good and bad, and will continue to do so for many more. It will indeed be a thrill for students that have never experienced the real GIA before; oh hell, it's going to be an experience for us too! No longer will people sitting around us refer to us as the "loud old men", "the annoying old farts that won't sit down", or the "crazy four" - we will be at home with thousands just like us! If you get a chance, look seven rows up in Section 214, that's where we've been this whole year - we call ourselves the "gray panthers" - some of you may know us. :runaway: .

4. Paddytap288

Paddytap288 Cowboy

I loved this. Chills the entire time while reading!

5. Cowboycarl

Cowboycarl Greenhorn

I'm ready to hear ORANGE-POWER yell in a packed GIA. That is my favorite.

CowboyinAZ likes this.
  6. kadune

kadune It's not that I'm lazy... A/V Subscriber

I sure hope so.

pearcemd18 likes this.
  7. OStateBass11

OStateBass11 Cowboy

Brought a tear to my eye. Not really. But i'm too pumped for the game tomorrow!! I cannot wait.

8. NotOnTV

NotOnTV Sheriff

This is the game rowdy returns...and I don't mean the worst mascot in all of sports:

[​IMG]

9. osucowboy573

osucowboy573 Deputy

ummmmmmm.....

boom.jpg

10. NotOnTV

NotOnTV Sheriff

CPTNQUIRK likes this.
  11. Doc Orange 2002

Doc Orange 2002 Wrangler

I was in school when Eddie was on the floor on the side lines and Sean was on the floor. Man oh man was it great. My fraternity brothers and I stood behind the opposing bench (Suttons were same house) and we felt was our duty to be so loud the opponents could not hear to decide on plays. In fact I remember as a child seeing the rood of the old GIA shake was so loud. I so wish I could be there, but alas family commitments. But will be yelling in my office of orange

Attached Files:

12. NET

NET Cowboy

Well described. That's how I remember it. To those going to the game, yell like hell. If it creates an awkwardness between you and the person in front of you, that is their issue. Your yelling will give someone else within earshot the courage to do the same. Together the two of you will inspire your section to celebrate that putback a little louder. And when the dirt burglar shot clock hits single digits, your section's quiet roar will intensify as they realize adjacent sections are doing the same. The noise will reach a pinnacle when the shot clock violation is signaled. Afterwards, you might not have a voice, but you wouldn't have done it any differently.

13. pokes16

pokes16 Sheriff

ostater2319 likes this.
  14. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

I'm going to do something I've never done in GIA before...bring earplugs so that I don't blow out my eardrums...and that will just be from my yelling.

15. Blackhawk Hockey

Blackhawk Hockey gifs are good

What time do the doors open for everyone? Or when should we start heading in?

16. Herecomesbullets

Herecomesbullets Deputy

This may have been the best post I've ever read on O.P.

Well done!

It reads like an over exaggeration, but it is not. This is how special GIA and the OSU basketball experience can be

OSU Sig and CowboyMom like this.
  17. Okcpokefan

Okcpokefan Sheriff

I. Cant. Wait.

18. OSUPsych

OSUPsych Deputy

Mine has to be the "hey" song still being sung once play has resumed and the band has quit playing. In the most recent great days of GIA, the song was still insanely loud and the last line was deafening. I miss it. Thinking about it gives me chills.

Sniblette likes this.
  19. orangepower317

orangepower317 Sheriff

When the boys make a play, don't stop cheering, at all. Continue it until the next TO or TV break, then catch your breath. The key is not bursts, but sustained energy the entire game, especially when our guys are on D. When our guys go back on D after a big offensive play, bring hell. That's how runs are made in GIA, it's the stuff of legends. The boys need feed off of that when they go back on D, and when OU goes on O, they'll crap their pants if the crowd brings hell like we can. Wish I could be there.

Rack and Okcpokefan like this.
  20. pittspokes

pittspokes Wrangler

Can't wait for tipoff! Will cheer for all of you who can't be there in person. Great post, thanks!