1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Escape plan...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by OP 9000, Jun 6, 2011.

1. OP 9000

Staff A/V Subscriber OP 9000 Administrator

Soo.. let's say the world economy tanks in the next year or two and the whole system collapses.

What's everyone's escape plan?
  2. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit

I'll be the one people are escaping from.

Seriously though, are you talking about escape as in emergence exodus or change of financial plans?
  3. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

Move back to the ranch.
  4. Travis

Travis Cowboy

Have a lovely spot available in the wife's family that we could disappear to for a long time. Readily available water, decent land to grow food on, lots of wildlife to hunt for food... We'd be very hard to find at this place heh...
  5. OP 9000

Staff A/V Subscriber OP 9000 Administrator

Meant more in terms of a people are starving and stealing from each other / rape / murder / must escape this city plan.

Was just curious.

Most everyone who's thought about it has a going solo plan (with immediate family). Was always interested if this wasn't actually a bad idea. Since there are strength in numbers.
  6. Darth Sensitive

A/V Subscriber Darth Sensitive Official OP Referee

Find out how I look in studded leather and get up to speed on rape, murder, arson, and rape.
  7. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Cowboy

This is actually an issue that's been weighing heavily on my mind the past half year or so. Not sure where or how the kernel of it got planted in my mind, but several months ago I had the unsettling realization that if a major disaster were to hit (be that a major Cascadia zone subduction earthquake or the economic collapse of the USA ala Soviet Russia and Argentina), I'd be completely helpless and at the mercy of others.

Obviously, that's not something I liked, and have been working to piece together a basic gameplan. Now, I say all this with the express realization it might sound a bit looney. I don't want to come off as paranoid or a wacko - I'm not! Just like the Boy Scouts, you know. Always Prepared.

If the dollar started its abrupt collapse tomorrow, I'd honestly be f%#$ed. But, my short-term end goal is to get a garden started in my little yard, continue building up to a thirty day store of food in my pantry (then more), purchase my first handgun (should be in my hands late next week), and stock up on some appropriate ammo.

It's not likely to be a crazy Mad Max scenario. Crime will go way up, but at the same time I don't think that walking into the middle of town with a battle rifle in a single point sling is going to be feasible.

I'm friends with a married couple who own a house and garden. Since my family is all two thousand miles away back in Oklahoma, my plan in the short term would be to hold up at my friends' house. I think the "strength in numbers" is hugely important for a number of reasons. Trouble with that concept is in finding likeminded people. On one end of the spectrum are the folks who think that real trouble will never happen, and if it does, the government will be there to help. On the other far side are the tin foil hat wearing survivalists who take stock in every conspiracy theory out there.

There's a guy who goes by the name of FerFAL from Argentina (since emigrated Stateside). His blog had a lot of very, very interesting real life lessons learned from the chaos and calamity that Argentina went through. Check it out and dig back into his older posts; it's a true goldmine of information.
  8. zachya

A/V Subscriber zachya Hero of Spielburg

:D I see what you did there!

"You said 'rape' twice."
  9. WorldseriesofPoke

WorldseriesofPoke Cowboy

1) jump on the back of the first 7 foot+, 350 lbs giant I see (I actually know a dude about this size);
    2) manage the production of pig excrement and production of energy;
    3) ask who runs Bartertown;
    4) don't let my giant fight against a scrappy Australian to the death;
    5) Profit?
  10. steross

A/V Subscriber steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop

I'd move to a large South Pacific island with lots of natural resources and relatively few people.
  11. Slugger926

Slugger926 Deputy

Here you can get up to speed on rape: Information on Rape

I would think there would be better things to get up to speed on such as well construction, alternative fuels, bio fuel production, ect....
  12. Darth Ryno

Darth Ryno Deputy

Everyone should read the book "One Second After", which is about three nuclear weapons being detonated over the United States, causing nationwide electronic blackouts due to EMPs (also several around the world). How people survive... located in North Carolina with the main person being a former Army Colonel.

My uncle has been sorta one of those guys who are for sure something will happen. Worked in software/hardware for 25+ years now in private business and the DoD (General Dynamics). Has worked on nuclear subs, etc.

He was sure something was going to likely happen wit Y2K, so he stockpiled everything under the son. Has several Mini-14's, AR-15, AR-10, handguns, etc. Thousands of rounds of ammo, cans of food, water. Not sure how he was going to make it in the middle of Oklahoma City, living off 63rd! Always said he was going to somehow make it down to my parents here in Tish and barricade the family on their land, put up 50 .cal watch towers. Told my dad he needed to install wind-power generators. :)
  13. Travis

Travis Cowboy

You can come with us, Mr Greg. Carrie and I will be sure you're fed and sheltered from the evil sun :D
  14. Erick

It seems that a lot of people have been thinking about some sort of collapse in the semi-near future. Whether it's Armageddon or zombies or a financial collapse people are mildly concerned.

This is my Almost worst Case Scenario:
    In most cases, I think the military will still have complete control of the major areas. The smaller cities would probably be governed by localized communities of people and the small towns would probably be the most normal with elections/utilities resuming fastest. The small towns (pop under 1K) would probably be the safest. You have to have to have enough people with life skills with a superstructure to support them and means of security. Crime would be pretty bad in the cities but there would be a lynch mob mentality that would curb or punish people like Darth Sensitive quickly. I think the small towns again, would take care of their own the best. Probably the second most dangerous places would be the open road between towns and cities. If you have supplies and are trying to get somewhere, I think the low lifes in the rural areas (Think Meth cookers) will be out to ambush and steal from those trying to get out of the cities just pass the jurisdiction of the security there.

Suburbs would be pretty safe eventually but depending on how long the catastrophe lasted, there has to be a supply of food. There is water, but it takes better purification for our systems to absorb safely. If you have a home in the suburb, there shouldn't be many reasons to leave unless the food ran out.

I really think that ammo would be a resource worth more than gold and in the event of some sort of large scale crisis, all these gun owners will be the ones that detour any other nation from invading.

Personally, I would probably want to migrate to a place with good agriculture and plenty of wild game, water and enough timber for temporary fuel. I would want to have anywhere from 10-50 close for skills, social activities, labor and security. Being a loner wouldn't be practical or cool at all. Being a menace wouldn't get you too far either.

One thing that will remain is the military, there is too much equipment, weapons and stored fuel to let it go to anyone. Eventually, they would have to take over the operation but by then it would look more like globalization than a free and independent nation. Either way, the ones that have to deal with the mess would be screwed.

Disclaimer: As one of those crazy Christians I believe that the end of the world will happen in a way resembling what John wrote in the Book of Revelations. This kind of scenario could very easily be just as he reveled. This kind of thing could happen 5 years from now or 5,005 years from now. Either way, there looks like a lot of things happening that follow the text extremely closely. In my opinion, you know it's on when Israel goes down.
    tlyn44 likes this.
  15. Jostate

Jostate Cowboy

16. RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.

17. Darth Sensitive

A/V Subscriber Darth Sensitive Official OP Referee

My roving gang of bikers will be stronger than your lynch mob.
  18. Erick

I doubt it, It's been well documented.

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]
  19. Erick

Yes, thank you federal government for reminding me to stock up on all the real necessities such as ammo, machetes and gasoline for Molotov cocktails. I will be prepared in case of the zombie apocalypse....However, in case of a flood, I am screwed.
  20. bleedorange

bleedorange Cowboy

So was he asleep when the nation of Chesapeake invaded and conquered?

I'd say he failed his first real test. Lol