1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Escape plan...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by OP 9000, Jun 6, 2011.

1. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

I think that is an unnecessary risk. It seems to me that by taking the hospital you put yourself at odds with far more people that will attempt to get in versus defending a piece of land in the boonies from the wandering jackass. Yes, the jackass might slip through the perimeter a bit easier, but there should be far fewer jackasses.
  2. RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.

A hospital would be a good place to hole up. You have a large food supply, medicines, and the lab equipment you need to work on an anti-virus serum... all in one building.
  3. GodsPeace

You would have to have a good number of people to defend it, and I would think it would be under constant attack from those needing medicines especially.
  4. RxCowboy

I would think a large number of people to defend it wouldn't be difficult. You would likely have a couple of physicians and nurses (and a smart pharmacist) already in the building. You just need a screening procedure as to who else you're going to let in. And if they've been bitten they go straight to the lab for experimentation.

But it has to be a decent sized hospital. A 25 bed critical access hospital wouldn't have enough supplies.
  5. GodsPeace

I would want an ample supply of antibiotics and morphin;) and I am just going into the wilderness(where I am a complete novice).
  6. Roman Craig

A/V Subscriber Roman Craig Race Ya Home!

Wrong thread. :D
  7. naffigator

A/V Subscriber naffigator Cowboy

Good points Rx, but I feel I should point out that this thread is not about zombies, but if there was complete global economic collapse which resulted in anarchy and societal collapse.
  8. RxCowboy

But just having an ample supply of antibiotics isn't enough, you have to have the right antibiotics. Which is why you need me.
  9. RxCowboy

DOH!
  10. Roman Craig

A/V Subscriber Roman Craig Race Ya Home!

I forgot chickens. DUH!!
  11. Fl Poke

Fl Poke Wrangler

Ok, I have a plan.

I would trade the wife and kids to the local warlord for fuel and whatever other supplies I could get. I would then head to McKittrick canyon in the Guadalupe Mountains in west Texas. Its an amazing out of the way place with great resources and weather. There is a year round stream with trout. There are also 58 species of mammals living in and around the canyon. The canyon also has decent size maple and pine trees to build a shelter with. The canyon itself is pretty unknown and could be hard to get to. When the weather gets to hot in the summer I can go up higher in the mountains for relief.

Ok, I need to stop my mind is veering into coo coo fantasyland.
  12. osupsycho

osupsycho Cowboy

For those that are being serious about this (though I love some of the jokes) you should ask yourself what is the main concern. The problem is there are a lot of potential threats that run from minor inconvenience all the way to TEOTWAKI (the end of the world as we know it). Personally I feel that we are most likely heading toward something like what happened in Argentina earlier this decade where they had massive inflation, horrible unemployment, rampant crime and general horrible conditions. The way the government is cranking out money we are already in the beginning stages of this (however luckily OK has not seen it as bad). For something like this you are best being armed, smart, and having some resources built up like food and water. There are lots of stuff out there to help you plan but for me I have already moved out of the city to rural land (though not too far a drive) that has a well and am planning a nice garden and even an aquaponics setup. That plus a good amount of supplies is something that can never really hurt. Basically I am trying to do things that will work no matter what happens...
  13. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Cowboy

I agree, osupsycho.

I think that right now an Argentina-style collapse is what worries me the most. But, as long as we keep the Dollar weaseled in as the oil and reserve currency, I don't think that will happen. However, once that goes, then the house of cards that is the US economy will tumble down and its just a matter of how long the transition takes and whether things look like Argentina or the Soviet Union.

Add into that my personal concerns about Peak Oil, and I'm left with a gnawing sense of discomfort about the future.
  14. backphil

backphil Cowboy

Define "economy tanks" and "whole system" . . . .
  15. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Yep, got a little stream there that is spring fed year around. Nicely hidden from view and protected from the elements.
  16. Cimarron

Do you have a hand pump or are you relying on electricity not failing?
  17. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Cowboy

And a still to go along with it.
  18. Pokes28

Staff A/V Subscriber Pokes28 Moderator

I've given quite a bit of thought to this though I haven't done nearly enough. I'd move pretty quickly to my dad/grandmother's house. They have enough land that is open that we can see anybody coming.

I really want them to invest in an off grid power system. Between a wind generator and some solar panels, they would have a great place. They have city water and sewer but also have a well and a septic system that can be switched to. They also have an underground spring fed pond, a good garden and several head of cattle on the property that could be put in a position of safety pretty easily.

The one thing that has been a real hangup for me thus far is my need for synthroid. I'm finding it hard to stockpile and then I have the worry of it losing potency over time. RX, if I were to buy a few thousand pills from Canada or something, can I freeze them and prolong their effectiveness or is there a better way? I'm on a stable dose of 150 micrograms per day and have been on it for almost 11 years without a problem so fortunately I don't have an issue of fluctuation like many people.

Anyway, I think the crime and killing in the country will be far less than in the city where things will get bad quickly.

David Harrell - Pokes
    dwh
  19. Cimarron

We probably have enough expertise among us we could form a coalition. History might remember us as the founding fathers....
  20. naffigator

A/V Subscriber naffigator Cowboy

That would probably be the best thing - safety in numbers. And as you said, the combined expertise would be helpful also. The main thing would be housing a fairly large group of people in a rural area. Two of my brothers have land within 30 minutes of Stillwater with wells, but the housing situation would not be good for more than about 10 people.