1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

[ESPN] Teams most likely to win the BCS Title

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by BAMF cowboy, Apr 11, 2009.

1. BIRDOGG

BIRDOGG Deputy

I hope the rest of you guys keep telling yourselves that. You guys said the same thing about Boise winning a BCS game and look how well that turned out.

2. The Poke

The Poke Sheriff

Well, aren't you just the turd in the punch bowl, imo.

3. Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash Cowboy

In Boise State's case I'd be willing to bet my life savings.

4. snuffy

snuffy Deep Thoughts. Staff A/V Subscriber

How much money can you save mowing lawns?

5. Poke4ever

Poke4ever Cowboy

Actually, not trying to defend a sooner, but one of my friends mows lawns and he makes a lot of money. He mows a couple wal marts and gets 1500 every time he mows one and he mows each one every other week so thats 1500 a week just on that and thats not mentioning how much he gets doing other yards.

6. RideWithPride

RideWithPride Deputy

So you're trying to tell me that this dude make $75k mowing lawns? Why did I go to college?

7. therico

therico Full JAXU Mode A/V Subscriber

I don't want to be Debbie Downer on this subject but it would be ideal if fall and winter didn't happen. Usually the lawn services also do other things in the fall and winter though but don't get near the bank they do in the summer. Also if you do your taxes, Uncle Sam gets a hefty paycheck and so do your workers. Also no health benefits, etc.

8. therico

therico Full JAXU Mode A/V Subscriber

Just an interesting thought....isn't it funny how topics can be started and only a few posts later the subject we're not even talking about the subject anymore. Like this thread, it only took 25 posts to go from talking about potential National Champions to talking about how much a yard guy gets paid. The beauty of a message board ;)

9. BAMF cowboy

BAMF cowboy The Village BAMF A/V Subscriber

Welcome to off-season.

10. Woo!

Woo! Cowboy

I knew a dude with an engineering degree who does lawns and in the fall and winter i think all he does is count his stacks. So yeah, it's possible to make nice money in the lawn business.

11. Woo!

Woo! Cowboy

Oh yeah, and on the topic. I think we can get to and win a BCS game, the title would be a bit of a surprise and would take the big upset of ou in norman not to mention running the table, which is possible, just really hard. If ever there was a year for the boys, it think this is it. Getting off to a good start with Georgia is going to be way important.

12. OStateMan

OStateMan Banned Banned

Trap games. Schmap games.

If you're going to be good, you have to be good week in and week out.

They're called "trap games" when you lose to teams that you're better than.
    The best teams -- those that end up in BCS bowls -- don't get "trapped".
    They're focused and mature enough to realize that if they let down, they'll lose.

If we're to elevate ourselves to more than "average" status, we've got to keep ourselves from losing to lessor teams.

13. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Wrangler

Hell I had about 25 yards I mowed weekly from March-November in highschool and into college until I couldnt handle it anymore and made $600-$700/week durin the summer months and only worked 3 or 4 days a week. That was alot of money for a kid in highschool with no bills. I bought a brand new truck and paid it off in three years with money I made mowing yards.

14. PhiloBeddoe

PhiloBeddoe Cowboy

I think OSU could go undefeated and the BCS guys would still find a way to put OU into the Championship game.

15. osupsycho

osupsycho Deputy

Larry Coker did it at Miami in 2001. Not sure about any others though...

16. snuffy

snuffy Deep Thoughts. Staff A/V Subscriber

Tell that to last years Florida team. It can be as simple as looking past to the next game, riding the tide of the last game, or what probably happened to OSU last year, not being prepared for a major lineup change (or letting it get in their heads). Any of these can cause a trap game,

17. InTheKnow

InTheKnow Usually Last to Know A/V Subscriber

There's GREAT money to be made in mowing lawns. Heck, you can't get anyone to touch an average size lawn around here for less than $50. Now, you might be able to get some kid who does a half-azz job and never comes back, but for consistent yard care - people have to pay good money.

I don't believe in "trap games" either. Good teams will play good, they want to win and the players/coaches will get it done. Having said that, there are those games where a team will have more turnovers than usual, etc. and won't play as well, but the best teams find a way to win. Period!

18. InTheKnow

InTheKnow Usually Last to Know A/V Subscriber

True and that's something I actually worry about. If Texas could get the screw job last season, just think of what those "computers" could do to us if things came down to us and USC, OU, Florida, etc, etc.....

19. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession. A/V Subscriber

I'm sorry, but the SEC East top to bottom is tougher. Only Tennessee finished last season below .500.

20. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com A/V Subscriber

If the game were in Houston, I'd be a little more worried. But with it being at BPS, I think we will have an outcome better than last year's. Our defense will be better and I don't think our offense will drop off at all.

Both of our TE's did very well when they had to step in for Pettigrew and I am convinced that Cooper and Blackmon can do just as good of jobs (if not better) than Bowling and Davis at receiver. Every other position is stacked with veterans.

With that being said, they need to concentrate and play hard. Houston isn't going to come in just to lay down but if we get the W against Georgia (hopefully), I don't think our guys will let it go to their heads.