Fall Camp 2019 old thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2012
good lord....

I doubt that Joe Bob Clements would agree with you, but then maybe he's not all that "familiar" with the program.

Daniels didn't have any starting experience until he started either. neither did Antwine.

IMHO, DE is the biggest question mark (other than QB), but whatever.... I can only come up with about 4 guys that could compete at DE.
Not stepping in to the disagreements one way or another, just wanted to offer my neighbor is from Muenster, still with family there and still goes to HS games, and according to him, the younger Walterschied (sp?) will make us forget about the elder after a few games. Says he is bigger, faster and meaner. Just an opinion I heard recently

Nov 6, 2010
Not stepping in to the disagreements one way or another, just wanted to offer my neighbor is from Muenster, still with family there and still goes to HS games, and according to him, the younger Walterschied (sp?) will make us forget about the elder after a few games. Says he is bigger, faster and meaner. Just an opinion I heard recently
Why was he rated so low then?? I think he was our lowest rated recruit. I know they miss on evals all the time, but you'd think with a brother playing high level D1 football, he would have had some eyes on him. Just strange.

Aug 16, 2012
Why was he rated so low then?? I think he was our lowest rated recruit. I know they miss on evals all the time, but you'd think with a brother playing high level D1 football, he would have had some eyes on him. Just strange.
Exactly why I normally do not post in these types of discussions. I do not know. He is already 40 lbs. heavier than his brother when he was recruited. He played in a pissant town. There were a lot of DEs available and evaluators thought others were better. Who knows, but if signs are right, he could be in the mix for early PT.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Exactly why I normally do not post in these types of discussions. I do not know. He is already 40 lbs. heavier than his brother when he was recruited. He played in a pissant town. There were a lot of DEs available and evaluators thought others were better. Who knows, but if signs are right, he could be in the mix for early PT.
I thought he was supposed to be faster than Cole, too.

Nov 6, 2010
I know sometimes when siblings are locked in to their elder brother's school, scouts can kinda ignore them. Hoping that's the case here, kinda like it seems to be with T. Harper.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Absolutely none. Until they play against big 12 competition we won’t know. Those unknowns are a cause for concern for most people. Especially given our defense in most years.
I'll call BS.

he was in the meeting, in the practices, learning the techniques and lessons, playing against our B12 starters, eating at the training table and working out with Glass...

I'm simply not buying NONE. That is not even conceivable.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I'll call BS.

he was in the meeting, in the practices, learning the techniques and lessons, playing against our B12 starters, eating at the training table and working out with Glass...

I'm simply not buying NONE. That is not even conceivable.
Let’s say he gets better but still can’t compete in the big 12 conference. The result is it made no difference.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Let’s say he gets better but still can’t compete in the big 12 conference. The result is it made no difference.
how about let's not say that, and instead say what is typically said about JUCO players...

"that they are typically not as effective in their Jr season as they are in their Sr season", which is almost always predicated on them needing to learn the scheme, the speed, add strength, etc.

Using your logic, we might as well claim that OSU always recruits kids that can't compete in the Big12, and a redshirt year never helps anybody that we bring to campus....

Right?

I tell you what, we're about to find out - are you predicting that he won't be in the 2-deep, and/or won't be a more effective player for us this season than if he hadn't redshirted?

Our JUCO linemen are usually decent, and almost always benefit from a year on campus... I can't think of a time when the didn't happen (off the top of my head)

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
It's for sure because he's from Muenster and probably didn't go to any of the camps other than OSU's. Plus with his brother being a start up here... I can totally see why he was under recruited.

Edit: Man that district 9-2A must have some real barn burners in it... Muenster, Tioga, Era, Cumby, and Campbell...

Hopefully the Tioga vs. Era rivalry is known as the "Randy Travis 'Naked in a Ditch' Highway Showdown" or something like that.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
how about let's not say that, and instead say what is typically said about JUCO players...

"that they are typically not as effective in their Jr season as they are in their Sr season", which is almost always predicated on them needing to learn the scheme, the speed, add strength, etc.

Using your logic, we might as well claim that OSU always recruits kids that can't compete in the Big12, and a redshirt year never helps anybody that we bring to campus....

Right?

I tell you what, we're about to find out - are you predicting that he won't be in the 2-deep, and/or won't be a more effective player for us this season than if he hadn't redshirted?

Our JUCO linemen are usually decent, and almost always benefit from a year on campus... I can't think of a time when the didn't happen (off the top of my head)
Until they play in a game against big 12 competitors we just won’t know.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Until they play in a game against big 12 competitors we just won’t know.
of course that is true... but that statement is a bit closer to a response that I would have expected than your previous statement of "absolutely none".

I hope a year redshirting for the JUCO DT makes a huge difference. I'm not sure we'll know either way how much of a difference it made.

I'm ready for some practice reports though

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
That was the initial report, but his bigger size just recently came out (in the news).

Like I said, he was listed at 275 last year, and our media guide now lists him at 305. (all the other weights seem about right, so it's doubtful that they bumped him up that much)

I don't know, I'm just making conversation while we await the start of fall camp... the media guide also lists him as a DE. (a 305 lb DE).

maybe somebody that is "familiar" with the program, can fill us in.
https://oklahoman.com/article/56281...al-cowboy-culture-sold-kyle-junior-on-program

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
good lord....

I doubt that Joe Bob Clements would agree with you, but then maybe he's not all that "familiar" with the program.

Daniels didn't have any starting experience until he started either. neither did Antwine.

IMHO, DE is the biggest question mark (other than QB), but whatever.... I can only come up with about 4 guys that could compete at DE.
The thing is.... outside of the transfers, the reason they don't have many starts is because the guys that played last year were better than them.

I think Antwine and Enoch are a push, with Antwine being better half-way through the season. We have no established pass rusher outside of Bundage who plays LB. Sione Asi will be a good player, he is very strong and will plug holes well (but he's no Darrion Daniels). Evers and Brock still have a lot to learn. Mike Scott got some PT last year and showed flashes, but got buried in the depth chart - we will need him to be consistent.

There's plenty of reason for concern, but it's just one of those things where someone is going to have to step up and be the next guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.