Fall Practice Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Stillwater
I'm excited about Lunt and his potential, but I still worry about having a true freshman QB. I disagree that there is usually not much improvement for QBs from Freshman to Junior year. Two recent examples are Matt Barkley (60% completions as a freshman, with 15 TDs and 14 ints; 69% completions as a junior with 39 TDs and 7 ints) and Matthew Stafford (53%, 7 TDs, 13 ints as a freshman; 61%, 25 TDs, 10 ints as a junior). Both of them were great by their junior year, but they were average or maybe even bad as freshman (though you could see their potential). I think there are many other examples of that same type of improvement.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
I'm excited about Lunt and his potential, but I still worry about having a true freshman QB. I disagree that there is usually not much improvement for QBs from Freshman to Junior year. Two recent examples are Matt Barkley (60% completions as a freshman, with 15 TDs and 14 ints; 69% completions as a junior with 39 TDs and 7 ints) and Matthew Stafford (53%, 7 TDs, 13 ints as a freshman; 61%, 25 TDs, 10 ints as a junior). Both of them were great by their junior year, but they were average or maybe even bad as freshman (though you could see their potential). I think there are many other examples of that same type of improvement.
True there are examples out there of guys who got better with time. My mind however is stuck on Big 12 ball (its just so easy to follow one conferance closley). McCoy, Bradford, RG111.....the best were good on day one.

cowboyfan12

Making Meat Great Again since 2017.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 22, 2010
Enid
www.facebook.com
I'm pretty sure Lunt may have some what was he thinking moments this season, but I have a feeling the Big 12 Defenses are in for another season of gasping for air. And many more to come.

William McEwan

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2011
No idea if this is relevant, but when I played sports in High School, I never once thought about the crowd when I was playing...
While I would agree with this to an extent as I was the same way, I can also say I did not play in front of 50,000 plus fans week in and week out

Jul 17, 2007
Man, there are some great quotes in there. I love the one where Tracy Moore says that coach Glass tried to kill them over the summer!

Also, the praise keeps showing up for Wes Lunt. He may just prove some of us realists to be wrong...
That is what I keep saying. People on here keep talking about him making freshman mistakes and all that stuff. Well he is going to make mistakes. When you play any sport there is going to be mistakes, regardless if you are a freshman or a senior. Heck if he was perfect then you might as well just go ahead and label him as the greatest of all time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can guarantee that he will make a few head scratching mistakes. That just comes with learning. But it doesn't mean you can't be good also. I thought Weeden made a lot of mistakes his first year of a starter, and even some what are you doing moments. But that didn't take away from the good things that he did do well.