Fall Practice Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 28, 2008
You know what. I kept thinking to myself, Jackson looks really good but nothing can be that perfect. I thought to myself, I bet he is fumble prone. I was hoping that wasn't true, then you mentioned it. Now I'm thinking to myself. I knew it. I knew there had to be a knock on him somewhere.
CHILL man.

Take something that comes in a brown or green bottle, knock it back, think about the GREAT season we had and all the fun we're going to have watching these Pokes play some FOOTBALL and you'll stop having these untoward thots.

Peace my brother (or sister as the case may be... but I think bro)

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
new poke Castleman was just a true freshman last year and he played sparingly as a frosh so that spoke well of him. He's got a good future. Happy to hear this because we know Anthony Rogers is a pretty solid DT, pretty decent started most of last year. Well he and Littlehead were about 50/50 but against OU and Stanford it was Rogers who started, though Littlehead made a couple plays against OU.
Yep, everyone expected him to come in and fill a void on day one. Thats too much to ask at that position.

Nov 28, 2008
Yep, everyone expected him to come in and fill a void on day one. Thats too much to ask at that position.
Not sure that {cough, cough} *everyone* thot that, but the expectations were pretty high--especially after he started getting playing time early on (that tapered heavily thereafter).

At any rate, I am REALLY hoping for and even expecting some pretty great things out of this D line. The move of a STARTING DT to the DE tells you something right there.

Am also hoping, and maybe expecting but not necessarily, that this frees-up Davidell to move out to DE before it's all said and done. He just looks the part of the wickedly bad-arsed DE to me. Not heavy enough to play DT. In the end, I trust Young to do whatever is best and know he will. That guy above all guys has earned it. (so no sniping from me if it doesn't happen)

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
Streets got my heart, game got my soul
What do yall think of Shaun Lewis and how he will do this season? I personally thought he kinda had a sophomore slump last year, but that's partly due to his fantastic Freshman season. I know people are excited about his added weight, but I think it kinda slowed him him down a bit and he seemed to lose some of that flexibility and quickness that made such a monster on blitzes his Fr season.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
What do yall think of Shaun Lewis and how he will do this season? I personally thought he kinda had a sophomore slump last year, but that's partly due to his fantastic Freshman season. I know people are excited about his added weight, but I think it kinda slowed him him down a bit and he seemed to lose some of that flexibility and quickness that made such a monster on blitzes his Fr season.
Lewis' Career Stats
Year GP UT-AT-TT TFL Sacks INT PBU QBH FF FR
2010 13 49-9-58 8.0 0.0 3 1 0 3 2
2011 13 40-21-61 9.5 1.5 2 0 4 1 2
Career 26 89-30-119 17.5 1.5 5 1 4 4 4
Actually, he had nearly identical seasons. I don't see any slump there.

Nov 28, 2008
It might not have been statistically, cuz he's such a stud sok, but it seemed like it to me too. It's probably not fair, but I expected more after the previous season--not just identical but BETTER.

I heard RA say (on his show) that he battled a leg injury all year. Not saying that was the difference, but it may have been. Dunno. They kept it quiet though so no wonder no one seemed to know.

Nov 30, 2011
He's gonna kill at least 3 players...maybe 4.

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
It might not have been statistically, cuz he's such a stud sok, but it seemed like it to me too. It's probably not fair, but I expected more after the previous season--not just identical but BETTER.

I heard RA say (on his show) that he battled a leg injury all year. Not saying that was the difference, but it may have been. Dunno. They kept it quiet though so no wonder no one seemed to know.
Yeah, the stats might not show it, but he just didn't seem to have that initial burst and quickness in short areas that he showed his freshman season where he was a monster on blitzes.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Yeah, the stats might not show it, but he just didn't seem to have that initial burst and quickness in short areas that he showed his freshman season where he was a monster on blitzes.
Well, he did have 1.5 more tackles for loss and 1.5 more sacks than he did in his freshman year. So, it would appear that the burst was still there or possibly we have to attribute some of the increase in these two stats to better line play where Blatnick, Jones and the tackles commanded more attention from the offensive linemen and backs, freeing up Lewis.

I can, however, see Lagershead's point about expecting him to be "BETTER". While the "slump" may be debatable, he probably did not progress like many of us would have wished.

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
Well, he did have 1.5 more tackles for loss and 1.5 more sacks than he did in his freshman year. So, it would appear that the burst was still there or possibly we have to attribute some of the increase in these two stats to better line play where Blatnick, Jones and the tackles commanded more attention from the offensive linemen and backs, freeing up Lewis.

I can, however, see Lagershead's point about expecting him to be "BETTER". While the "slump" may be debatable, he probably did not progress like many of us would have wished.
I was speaking more from a physical standpoint. There weren't as many "wow" moments as his freshman year when he was clearly the best the guy in space and the best explosiveness and closing speed in the our front 7 last year. But I rarely saw that this year and he seemed to lumber at times and build up speed rather than explode out of his stance and accelerate like he used to

But maybe lager was right and that he did have some leg injury that we didn't know about.

Again, this is all moot point cause dude was still above average and a very good player, but I'm just bring up the hypothetical discussion about whether or not the added weight may have reduced some of this strengths.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I was speaking more from a physical standpoint. There weren't as many "wow" moments as his freshman year when he was clearly the best the guy in space and the best explosiveness and closing speed in the our front 7 last year. But I rarely saw that this year and he seemed to lumber at times and build up speed rather than explode out of his stance and accelerate like he used to

But maybe lager was right and that he did have some leg injury that we didn't know about.

Again, this is all moot point cause dude was still above average and a very good player, but I'm just bring up the hypothetical discussion about whether or not the added weight may have reduced some of this strengths.
Point taken. Legitimate question and good discussion.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
The cow in your avatar is also very beautiful! Don't know what that means for fall practice, but just an observation I made. :)
It means that he is a big OSU basketball fan. Notice the breed of cow? It is a Hereford, as in "here Ford". I take that as an approval of the basketball coach.
I like the cow's double dis of UT - Shorthorns & upside down hook 'em.

Wait, that's not a gooner cow, is it????

Jan 7, 2012
i noticed that also.

i honestly think 1 reason for that was because Shaun was more worn out due to all the reps the D had to play last season. you could really see it in that iowa state game when Shaun had the pick 6. he's much faster than he showed there. but i think as the season wore on, he had less gas in the tank.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

Part of it is Alex Elkins and his abilities. He is fast, explosive and athletic too. Lewis is not on a different planet compared to Elkins like he was with Gent.

dash

Territorial Marshal
Oct 3, 2008
Edmond, OK
Roman, that's exactly what I was going to say. Lewis doesn't look as fast because our defense was faster last year than it was his freshman season...