1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Fat Tire.....Better in a Can?

Discussion in 'Tailgating, Cooking, Intoxicology' started by Carneyman14, Feb 22, 2012.

1. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Territorial Marshal

My friends, let me introduce you to my summer barbecue's dear friend:

[​IMG]

Erick likes this.
  2. Jonkr06

Jonkr06 Territorial Marshal

Yep, this is good stuff.

3. OrangeInPhilly

OrangeInPhilly Deputy

Yuengling is good in a can.

4. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Speaks the language A/V Subscriber

Nothing is better in a can.

zachya likes this.
  5. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

I disagree. Anything in a clear bottle (eg. corona) is virtually guaranteed to taste better in a can.

Jonkr06 likes this.
  6. Donnyboy

Nope....

7. TexasPete

TexasPete Cowboy

Kona Longboard is better out of the can.

8. HomebrewPoke

HomebrewPoke Wrangler

Love seeing all these new breweries opt for canning over bottling, and love seeing more established breweries (like New Belgium and Sierra Nevada) putting a few varieties in cans.

From a consumer's POV, I don't see how you can't like them. They go place bottles can't, they're lighter (which has pre- and post-consumption benefits), they chill down faster, they take up less space, and they keep light completely out. No need to constantly have a bottle opener on hand. I also like the aesthetics of cans and how the label/graphics cover the entire container.

You can't take bottles to the lake/beach/pool. Bottles are heavy. Bottles can't stack on top of each other. Bottles can break. Oh, the best thing about bottles...you can reuse them (some of them, anyway) for homebrewing.

I've heard various pros and cons regarding environmental impact. Cans much lighter to ship. But bauxite mining = bad (and the reason Lagunitas said they will never can).

Does canned beer taste better? Hmm, to me, I know it definitely doesn't taste worse.

PokealypseNow likes this.
  9. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

Clear bottles allow yeast to be sunstruck. When UV light comes into contact with yeast, they produce off flavors and undesirable compounds. It's what makes beer taste and smell "skunky." Scientifically proven. Ever notice how this affects beers in green and clear bottles more (heinieken and rolling rock are two prime offenders)? I don't think I have EVER had a skunky can of beer.

10. Donnyboy

All you said is true but if you don't buy really old beer or store it in the light it tastes better as beer is reacting with a can from the moment it hits it.

11. GoPokes83

GoPokes83 Deputy A/V Subscriber

I prefer it in my living room

zachya and Donnyboy like this.
  12. CowboyinAZ

CowboyinAZ Deputy

I have brewed my own beer before and from all the literature that I have read, Bottled beer is the next best thing to a getting it from a tap. Beers like BL, Coors Light, Miller, and the others don't really matter and really taste better only from a tap.

However, beers like Fat Tire and Four Peaks that also put their beer in cans should not. I have had both and the best time to drink Fat Tire in a can is if your at a pool and glass isn't allowed or any place that doesnt allow glass. Other than that please drink from the bottle. You won't regret it.

13. CowboyinAZ

CowboyinAZ Deputy

14. HomebrewPoke

HomebrewPoke Wrangler

In honor of this thread, and to spite the can-haters ;), I forced myself to enjoy these tonight:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

dds115 likes this.
  15. CowboyinAZ

CowboyinAZ Deputy

Nice coaster....

HomebrewPoke likes this.
  16. HomebrewPoke

HomebrewPoke Wrangler

:thumbup: :koolaid:

17. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

The bolding is factually incorrect. Likewise, I could claim that the beer is reacting with the bottle the moment it comes into contact with the glass bottle. The canned beer comes in contact with an inert plastic lining within the beer can, not the aluminum or tin itself. This has been a method of beer can construction for decades.

As far as buying beer in clear/green bottles, at the time of purchase, you have little information as to how clear/green bottles are stored (sun exposed or not, refridgerated or not) prior to your purchase.

Bon Appetit article on canning that specifically references the Fat Tire in cans, as well as my staple beer, Dales Pale Ale.

HomebrewPoke likes this.
  18. Donnyboy

Since Fat Tire comes in a brown bottle why drink it in a can if there is any other choice.

19. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Territorial Marshal

20. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

You apparently didn't read the Bon Appetit article. They *directly* address your question. Here is the quote: