1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

First Gun

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by dds115, Jul 26, 2010.

1. pokefun

pokefun gooner hater extraordinaire

Very good, preach on!

I didn't mean to insinuate you would go all vigilante, but I would hate to see a fellow Poke go to prison for murder when he killed a bad guy protecting someone he was not legal in protecting. It is, IMHO, stupid of the state to tell me I can't take someone out that is robbing a restaurant and shooting people. In that case I would "fear for my life" and shoot anyway!
  2. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

I honestly don't care what the law says. If I see someone's life in danger, that is clearly not committing a criminal act, and I can save them from a clearly bad/evil person, then I am doing it.
  3. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

This SP2022 9mm is a dream. Super accurate. I put 200 through it tonight, and got some pretty good grouping. My last 30 were from 45 feet away. Here are my shots. I was pretty happy with the grouping, minus the two at the bottom. Sorry the picture is sideways. It should be rotated 90 degrees CW

[​IMG]
  4. dds115

Is it safe to dry fire? I've read different things online. I want to practice shooting and staying stable through the whole trigger pull.
  5. Travis

Travis Cowboy

Buy some Snap Caps by A-Zoom... it's the best way to be sure you don't damage your pistol. Some guns will be fine with thousands of dry fires, but some will break. Snap Caps cushion the impact of the firing pin, instead of letting it just slam forward. Mine were like $15 for 5 of them, and they're anodized red so they can't be easily confused with live ammunition.
  6. dds115

Ok great, thanks.
  7. GodsPeace

I have noticed a tendency I have. I shoot a little low and to the right. Ugh.
  8. dds115

You're probably pulling your whole hand down when pulling the trigger. Try lighter trigger pull. I'm usually high and to the left.
  9. GodsPeace

That is what I am guessing. The XD has a longer pull, according to others who would know. Anyway...here is my result of a 12 bullet round at about 25-30ft.

[​IMG]
  10. State

A/V Subscriber State Cold Ass Honkey

To the right like that, you might look at trigger pull. Watch that you're pulling it straight back and not pulling it toward your palm. It's a good thing to practice with snap caps. FWIW.
  11. dds115

I just purchased some snap caps, waiting for them to get here in the mail. I can tell when I'm shooting that I'm not staying straight.
  12. Travis

Travis Cowboy

That target definitely looks like too much finger on the trigger. Great trigger control will help every aspect of your shooting. I'm still learning good trigger control. I catch myself jerking it sometimes, still.
  13. MSteph57

A/V Subscriber MSteph57 Cowboy

and breathing. On my second to last day of my firearms class my instructor finally helped me get my breathing right. 1,2 in hold 1,2,3,4 1,2, out hold 1,2,. Amazing what being tall and firm on your stance can do for you accuracy. I was shooting to early during the end of my inhaling stage.
  14. Slugger926

Slugger926 Deputy

Something else I learned, if you are having problems with rifle accuracy, go to the pistol range with a good coach watching you. What you do with a rifle will be magnified at the pistol range with the handgun. I found out I had a tendency to lower the barrel as I pulled on the trigger.
  15. MSteph57

A/V Subscriber MSteph57 Cowboy

I imagine I have an itch at the base of my thumb. Helped correct me pulling shots.