First time in Cowboy Country

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
That is very interesting. What made you a fan?
When i was a kid I randomly started watching that 3 OT game against Texas in 07. I might have been watching just to see Durant play or because it was a top 25 matchup, I'm not sure. I just remember watching and thinking how awesome GIA was and being in awe of how crazy the fans were. In hindsight it wasn't the best time to start following the basketball program, but i did it anyway and i don't regret it!

Sidenote: I'm surprised that everyone is talking about Hideaway because the one thing i have heard a lot about are Joe's cheese fries. sounds like i need to ditch the cheese fries and just plan on Hideaway?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Hideaway Thread, I can think of a lot of worse things!
Best way to eat a fried mushroom from Hideaway?

* dipped in creamy Italian (try it if you have not...my family's fav)
* dipped in ranch
* dipped in marinara
* dipped in marinara followed by a light dusting of parmesan (my fav)
* no sauce (better wait for them to cool first)

Btw, also try any of the pies with Creamy Italian to dip it in...yum!

Been eating at Hideaway since the 1970's and it's still really good...nice job to stay relevant that long!

Aug 7, 2006
When i was a kid I randomly started watching that 3 OT game against Texas in 07. I might have been watching just to see Durant play or because it was a top 25 matchup, I'm not sure. I just remember watching and thinking how awesome GIA was and being in awe of how crazy the fans were. In hindsight it wasn't the best time to start following the basketball program, but i did it anyway and i don't regret it!

Sidenote: I'm surprised that everyone is talking about Hideaway because the one thing i have heard a lot about are Joe's cheese fries. sounds like i need to ditch the cheese fries and just plan on Hideaway?
Pregame cheese fries, post game Big Country at Hideaway...

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Man, I wish it was even close to that these days...still a trip to Stilly is a good trip...enjoy the ride and hope for a good crowd...it's been awhile since we have seen OLD GIA rise from the ashes...I'm thinking maybe next year IF we really come out swinging. Back in the prime Eddie days you couldn't get a scalpers ticket outside on game day for less than $75 outside and that was to squeeze into the 300 level...we sold out nearly every conference game and the EASY non-conference games were like Bedlam or KU these days. These days we can't seem to give those away even. Sad state of affairs...just have to keep on trucking and hope things improve.

Nov 6, 2010

Absolutely not. I've tried cheese fries all over the country, and most places don't even understand what they are. You can skip the main menu if you want because a burger is a burger, but the cheese fries are the best in the world, at least of all the places I've tried them.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

* dipped in ranch
* dipped in marinara

Been eating at Hideaway since the 1970's and it's still really good...nice job to stay relevant that long!
I am not the greatest of fans of their fried mushrooms, now their fried cheese sticks are the absolute best anywhere. Just dip them in honey mustard and they are divine. Then get some extra honey mustard to go with the dagwood sandwich. (Yes I know many will vilify me for getting a sandwich at a pizza place but it is one heck of a sandwich and I have had better pizza)

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I am not the greatest of fans of their fried mushrooms, now their fried cheese sticks are the absolute best anywhere. Just dip them in honey mustard and they are divine. Then get some extra honey mustard to go with the dagwood sandwich. (Yes I know many will vilify me for getting a sandwich at a pizza place but it is one heck of a sandwich and I have had better pizza)
They used to have great spaghetti with meatballs back in the day as well...but the chain stores in OKC and Tulsa don't have it anymore...wondering if you can still get that in Stilly...not that baked crap they serve in OKC and Tulsa but the real deal.

Btw, the fried mushrooms are awesome when they are cooked correctly and yes the fired cheese is the best around...until cheese curds came about anyway.

Jun 14, 2011
If you are looking for swag, I would start at the Student Union store. Its a monster and has a lot of options for clothes, hats, etc. Secondary would be Chris' University Spirit next to Hideaway, back-ups would be End Zone and For Pete's Sake next door to Joe's.

I second the both option on food if you have time. Beer (Joe's cups) and cheese fries at Joe's, Pizza and fried mushrooms at Hideaway.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I just looked at their menu, and those black and bleu cheese fries sound pretty dang good.
nope...sweet pepper bacon all the way...no better cheese fries in the nation than those...not sure I would risk doing something "trendy" like black and blue cheese if it means missing out on the classic. ;-)

Nov 6, 2010
Agreed, I think I actually prefer Joe's fried mushrooms to Hideaway, but both pretty solid and guaranteed to take a layer of skin off the top of your mouth.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com

I can agree that the overall food at Joe’s is a little overrated. But Joe’s cheese fries w sweet pepper bacon and Joe’s chili cheese fries are NOT overrated, they are tremendous.

Aug 7, 2006
I don't go to Joe's all that often, kinda how it works when you live in Stillwater, but every now and then my wife and I will decide we want cheese fries and we'll go. My go-to for years was the sweet pepper bacon burger, it's okay... but the bacon is definitely the highlight on it. The last few times we've gone, I've gotten the little joe(quarter pound onion burger) with cheese and sweet pepper bacon and it's been a much better eating experience, IMO.

Sep 14, 2007

* dipped in ranch
* dipped in marinara

Sounds like you should just order a pitcher of creamy Italian for dinner.

Dec 11, 2011
I would vote Hideaway beforehand; can’t go wrong with fried mushrooms, mozzarella sticks, & (insert any pizza here).

Ballgame; wear ORANGE, get there early, converse with like-minded patrons, stay til the end, alma-mater with the team/fans...

Joe’s after the game; sweet pepper bacon cheese fries & Shiner Bock on tap (so you can keep the Joe’s cup).

Always worked well for me!
*I was at that game! Was in my top 5, but not the rowdiest GIA memory!