Football Changes that MUST be made

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 30, 2009
Edmond, OK
And please add; Let the OC do their jobs MG!! If you continue calling the plays, do without an OC and use that money to upstage assistant's salaries and maybe even hire a Special Teams coach!

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
We lost because our offense sucks and our defense gave up 248 yards rushing to a team that was down to just 1 scholarship running back.

We also lost because we gave up 104 yards rushing to their quarterback in the 4th quarter.

We lost because won the turnover battle 2-0 and one was when A&M was going in to score, but scored 0 points off of them.

We lost because, after a month of preparation, our coach didn't have the a good plan for short yardage situations.

Dru Brown was far from the problem

In fact.... he wasnt't bad at all....
He was 15/28 with 2 td's and no turnovers.

We also lost because.....
Other than Chuba.....
No one else had over 3 yards.

Also because our 2nd leading receiver had 21 yards receiving and only 2 catches.

We also lost because our special teams are ajoke

Our offense needs big changes to not rely on 1 or 2 guys so much

Especially cinsidering Wallace and Hubbard may not be coming back.

Jelani Woods and Dillon Stoner have to get the ball more and we have to start using the middle of the field.

How many big throws did Brown leave short? How many?

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains
I just listened to Gundy’s post game presser. When you hear how incredibly excited he is about next year the embarrassment of this loss will evaporate. To paraphrase to a tried and true refrain, we are a team on the rise and our future is bright.
the snake oil i sold you this year didn't do anything for you, but the new snake oil coming out next year is a game changer!

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
4. Legit special teams coach hired.
This is the only one I agree with. Otherwise it is nothing but knee-jerk reaction. There's nothing wrong with the offense that Sanders being healthy won't fix. The defense played well enough to win. Absent the shank-a-saurus, they didn't give up a drive for a point in the first half.

Oct 12, 2006
The train wreck is being put back on the track for the same thing to happen again. Year after year same hype with same result. We don’t even have a respectable RB if Chuba leaves. Our secondary was hot and cold all year. Kicking game = horrible. We’re never going to get to the top just not gonna happen.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
The train wreck is being put back on the track for the same thing to happen again. Year after year same hype with same result. We don’t even have a respectable RB if Chuba leaves. Our secondary was hot and cold all year. Kicking game = horrible. We’re never going to get to the top just not gonna happen.
It's we who hype it. 8-9 wins is what I expected with a rsFrosh QB. I thought there would be a couple of games where he cost us, and a couple of games where the other team simply had the better QB. Anyone who expected 10+ wins definitely had on the orange-colored specs.

Sanders will be better next year. We have a lot of offensive production to replace with Hubbard and Wallace. The defense will improve. 9-10 wins shouldn't be unreasonable.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018
Gatesville, TX
It's we who hype it. 8-9 wins is what I expected with a rsFrosh QB. I thought there were be a couple of games where he cost us, and a couple of games where the other team simply had the better QB. Anyone who expected 10+ wins definitely had on the orange-colored specs.

Sanders will be better next year. We have a lot of offensive production to replace with Hubbard and Wallace. The defense will improve. 9-10 wins shouldn't be unreasonable.
We don’t have a back on the team who is 1/5th as good as Hubbard. We will struggle MIGHTILY next season.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
Nothing will happen, nor will anyone in charge make any public statements about change. Gundy will coach until he doesn't want to coach anymore and the program will continue to tread water at best.
You mean until he has several more million in the bank. Watching his demeanor on the sidelines he already looks like he’s quit coaching.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
We don’t have a back on the team who is 1/5th as good as Hubbard. We will struggle MIGHTILY next season.
How do you know how good Deondrick Glass will be next year?
Dominated during his high school football career, amassing 6,154 rushing yards and 100 rushing touchdowns on 673 carries.
Demolished Texas defenses as a senior, rushing for 1,951 yards and 30 touchdowns

After a year of Body by Glass, just how good can Glass by Glass be?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
How do you know how good Glass will be next year? Or Presley?
Here is what I see. Gundy has zero fire in him anymore. It has only got worse with this hideous mullet thing. His ego has got in the way of letting coaches calling plays. Our best recruiters have and are currently exiting the program. I can only imagine how big a ego prick he must be to the other coaches on staff.
Sad thing is it's not gonna change until its to late. He will continue to give press conferences that say the same bullshit instead of accountability and change. Great coaches know when it's time for a change. Stoops lost his edge and he knew he needed to step down and look they have just got better. 10 wins seasons are over for the Gundy era mark it down.
Any of you fans that want to stand up for him are totally drinking orange koolaid.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Let's be honest with ourselves (oh, hell....we know that's not going to happen here, but...), when you continually have recruiting classes in the 30-40 ranked range, this is the normal result.

Watching our Pokes beat aTm in 2011 with a rifle-armed Weedon, Blackmon and so many others that went pro was amazing how we simply moved the ball up and down the field with relative ease.
We just had better players in many positions and it showed on the field.

We've lost that momentum and haven't capitalized on those years when we were right there -- ready to step into a CFP.

OH, and Gundy had a short, spikey hair style that wasn't a vainglorious distraction.

I'm not calling for Gundy's head. I just want that Gundy to rekindle that fire and excitement of a fearsome maching stepping on that field.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
OSU needs an identity on offense. What is OSU’s offense? The players look way more comfortable running the uptempo air-raid. I know that’s not Gundy’s preferred system, since he wants a balance attack but it looks like the players execute that so much better.

Sep 18, 2018
Gatesville, TX
OSU needs an identity on offense. What is OSU’s offense? The players look way more comfortable running the uptempo air-raid. I know that’s not Gundy’s preferred system, since he wants a balance attack but it looks like the players execute that so much better.
Because they’ve all been running it for years in high school. Insanity is trying to force players into a system as opposed to adapting scheme to talent. If the players don’t fit the scheme they’re being recruited to that’s squarely on the coaches. The spread is the great equalizer. Gundy’s offense is dated and easy to defend. It works for schools that can cherry pick talent but even LSU and BAMA are recognizing the benefits of spreading it around. The fact that Gundy thinks he knows better than Ed Orgeron or Nick Saban shows the depth of his egotism.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
We were limited this year by our freshman QB. We dumbed down the offense for him, and he stopped turning the ball over. Next year we need to tailor the offense to his skills, and sitting in the pocket cuts his game in half.

He'll be better next year at running up-tempo.