Football Changes that MUST be made

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Because it’s the same “triplet” offense he’s been running since the Woods, Bell, Fields days with just a bit of zone read type stuff mixed in.
It’s not even that, actually much much worse. We attacked the middle of the field with that offense. And we threw the ball to freaking Bajama. Heck we even threw the ball over the middle to freaking Charlie Johnson in that offense.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Actually if you go back to his college years it does have a strong resemblance to the Thurman, Barry, Hart Lee years with less talented players on the O-Line.
We ran I-formation with Barry and Thurman. Sanders was the ultimate I-formation weapon, turn and toss the ball to the best athlete on the field and let the other team knock him down. We always had a fullback, Garrett Limbrick. It was Limbrick who got called for the personal foul, which wasn't, on our final drive in Bedlam 1988.

Sep 18, 2018
Gatesville, TX
We ran I-formation with Barry and Thurman. Sanders was the ultimate I-formation weapon, turn and toss the ball to the best athlete on the field and let the other team knock him down. We always had a fullback, Garrett Limbrick. It was Limbrick who got called for the personal foul, which wasn't, on our final drive in Bedlam 1988.
Minus the fullback, who we’ve sort of merged with the tight end and called the “Cowboy back” it’s very similar.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
I just listened to Gundy’s post game presser. When you hear how incredibly excited he is about next year the embarrassment of this loss will evaporate. To paraphrase to a tried and true refrain, we are a team on the rise and our future is bright.
Have you never heard of coach speak before?

Nov 14, 2010
Okay smart boy, show me the data. I have shown data that says you have no idea what you're talking about. Put up or shut up.
Here’s the complete breakdown of the football recruiting expenses from the 2018 fiscal year and how each school’s 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes ranked.

The schools are listed in descending order of their football recruiting expenses from last fiscal year. The first column, labeled “Power Five Spending Ranking,” lists where each school’s recruiting spending in 2018 ranked among the Power Five schools

Attachments

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
The train wreck is being put back on the track for the same thing to happen again. Year after year same hype with same result. We don’t even have a respectable RB if Chuba leaves. Our secondary was hot and cold all year. Kicking game = horrible. We’re never going to get to the top just not gonna happen.
It's we who hype it. 8-9 wins is what I expected with a rsFrosh QB. I thought there would be a couple of games where he cost us, and a couple of games where the other team simply had the better QB. Anyone who expected 10+ wins definitely had on the orange-colored specs.

Sanders will be better next year. We have a lot of offensive production to replace with Hubbard and Wallace. The defense will improve. 9-10 wins shouldn't be unreasonable.
Your first and last sentences are interesting. Almost contradictory. Unless you’re point was, “we’re the one who hype it so let me be the first to start overhyping next season with an unrealistic goal”

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
People can defend Gundy, all time winningest coach in school history whatever. That’s fine. He’s done a TON of good for this program.
But defending this offense is absurd. Some people on here need to go watch the highlights from games in 2010, 2011, and 2012. We had receivers open everywhere. Short, middle, deep, sideline, middle of the field. And they were open. A lot. Our receivers don’t get open very often anymore. It’s all sideline, and a lot of it has been jump balls since 2016 especially.

Has anyone else ever wondered why Weeden had to teach the offense to Monken? That’s very telling right there. Weeden played in that offense for 1 year. Gundy didn’t even try to learn it. That’s very telling of what his intentions were from the beginning. And it doesn’t make any sense.

We traded in a Ferrari for a lesser model, period. And we didn’t need to do it.

Oct 30, 2007
Weedon and Blackmon were part of a top 10 class, right?

This is where we fall in the national rankings money-wise:
View attachment 76162

This is the top 10 money-wise:
View attachment 76163

Here's Rivals' top 10 classes for 2019. Notice any similarities to the budget rankings?
View attachment 76164

If we want consistent top 10 or even top 20 recruiting rankings we have to be more competitive money-wise. But we can't, there's no way to get there. We're a "small market" program.
Coach Gundy's salary: Top 15
Facilities: Top 20
Assistant coaching budget: Top 25
Football recruiting budget: Top 30

Why does it matter if our overall athletic department revenue is ranked 48th if our football program is supported at a top 25 level? What does our football program lack that could be fixed with more money?

Osuc

Greenhorn
Sep 10, 2016
Tonkawa, hawaii
Golly, so many people have all the answers...have you sent your resumes to coach Gundy and set up an interview? All fans would love to see you implement your solutions and solve all our football issues.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Golly, so many people have all the answers...have you sent your resumes to coach Gundy and set up an interview? All fans would love to see you implement your solutions and solve all our football issues.
That's the issue, Gundy is very well compensated. Is there no pride in the job he does?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Look, we all like to discuss football. It is natural for people to let off steam after a loss. Posts like this don't do any more good than people demanding that heads roll.

Which, btw, there are far more coaches that suck than coaches who are truly great. I mean, there's only one Nick Saban, and he ain't coming to Stillwater. Given the ratio of suckage to greatness, firing a good coach in hopes of getting a great one is generally a losing proposition. See Texas, Nebraska, Arkansas etc. (the list of programs that used to be great and now suck is pretty long) In fact, A&M went through a lot of suckage after forcing R.C. Slocum out, who was a very good coach. And even if you manage to get Nick Saban, there's absolutely no guarantee that he can turn Oklahoma State into Ala-freaking-bama.