1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Foundation Repair

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steross, Jan 7, 2010.

1. steross

steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop A/V Subscriber

Anyone have foundation repair work done in OKC? Anyone know much about it in general and who/what to watch out for? Thanks.

2. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Federal Marshal

Not sure what you're looking for, I had some cracks in a basement foundation that I fixed with some quick dry cement sealeant somebody on this forum suggested. Saved me a bunch of money.

3. CowpokeMike

CowpokeMike Federal Marshal

American Leveling Company is the best in OKC. Do you know about how much work you need to do? Do you maybe need an estimate?? I can get the number.

Here is the web site:

http://www.americanleveling.com/

4. steross

No, not that type thing. I have a house built in 1933 that I believe probably has some significant foundation problems because there are large cracks in the walls, plaster falling, doors out of alignment,etc. I know little about this but presume I need support piers, slabs or whatever. Also not sure if I can just contact a company or if I should have a structural engineer look at it first.

5. steross

Honestly, I don't know. Not something I know much about. I've heard them advertised on the Sports Animal by Traber, I think. Didn't know if that was good, or bad.;)

The other company whose name I can't recall at the moment is advertised by Switzer. So, I planned on calling American first for an estimate since Traber>Switzer but I figured I should post to see if someone else knew a better way than likeablity of the spokesperson.

6. CowpokeMike

Well you don't want Olshan or Crown to be honest. Switzer and Pat Jones do the ads for Powerlift.

Powerlift does some pretty good work but they are a lowballing company most of the time.

American Leveling has been around since 1933.

You might be speaking to the wrong guy about this because my father is the owner of the establishment. :D It is an honest company though and you should at least give them a try or get an estimate from them.

7. H2Orange

H2Orange Sitting on the Group W bench A/V Subscriber

I have used Power Lift (statewide) and Crown Concrete and Foundation Repair (OKC). Both did an excellent job. Both use steel piers, which I have been told is better than a cable lock system. What I learned is this:

1. You live in Oklahoma so expect foundation problems and don't take it personal.
    2. Get more than one estimate. One company may want to put in X number of piers while the other company recommends Y number. The cheapest estimate is not always the best. Sometimes you have to use your instinct and go with what makes you the most comfortable.
    3. Expect to pay around $600/pier.
    4. If numerous piers are needed, ask them to prioritize and see if any can be postponed a year or so. This can get very expensive very quickly.
    5. Expect to have some damage on the interior after the job is completed(usually cracks in the drywall). The foundation company does not repair these so that is an additional cost.
    6. Warranty should be lifetime and transferrable.
    7. Expect to need them to come back and make some adjustments. Ask about the cost. It should be an hourly labor rate.
    8. Get references and check them!

8. H2Orange

H2Orange Sitting on the Group W bench A/V Subscriber

I used Crown in the mid 80's, so Cowpoke Mike might have a better idea as to what is going on with that company now. I used Powerlift a couple of years ago, primarily because my father had used them and was pleased. At that time their estimate was close to the others.

9. Pokit N

Pokit N Sheriff

If you need me to come out and deadlift your house while someone throws supports under it I can PM you my cell...

10. steross

Deadlift? Pansy. It is barely 2000 sq ft. A real man would offer to one-arm snatch the thing so he could use his other hand for driving in the piers.

H2O and CPM. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably get an estimate from American and Powerlift. CPM, tell your father I promise not to hold that fact that you are related against him.;)

By lowballing, do you mean they will give a low estimate then kick in additional costs for excavation or whatever?

11. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Federal Marshal

I thought the same thing...deadlift...what a wuss. :rolleyes:

12. bleedorange

bleedorange Sheriff

This.

The way they build in these parts combined with the soil, forget it. It's only a matter of time. "Lay back and relax."

1. Foundation Repair
    2. Taxes
    3. Death

:D

13. Pokit N

Pokit N Sheriff

You two Mary's want to head to the gym and see who can throw the most steel!!?? Grrrrrrr

:D

14. steross

I realize that. What scares me is it is a 1933 house and I suspect has never had a thing done. We could be looking at Pickens-like cashola.

15. bleedorange

bleedorange Sheriff

eh...don't worry. Shouldn't be a penny over $10K. :p

16. steross

Yea, I'm hoping somewhere around there. The bummer about this is you put $10K in your foundation and nobody cares. You put a $10K deck on, $10K in the kitchen, or $10K in landscaping and everyone is impressed.

17. CowpokeMike

American Leveling uses them too.

You are right, get references and check them. I obviously am going to be a little biased but really Olshan is really not the way to go. Crown was better in the 80's but I think they had a management change and they have fallen off. The two best are Powerlift and American Leveling. That's just my opinion and clearly I am going to think that way because my dad owns it haha. :D

18. SLVRBK

SLVRBK Moderator Staff A/V Subscriber

I hadn't planned a return trip to Oklahoma so soon but if you really need my help...

Friends in my 'hood spent $50k on their house, which was built in the 80's, but this included the interior repairs and repairs to their plumbing.

Mike, why not Olshan?

19. jason372923

jason372923 Wrangler

Being a 1933 house you probably are screwed but if it was a newer house don't freak out over a few cracks. Always get an independent engineer (not supplied by the foundation company) to look things over first.

And like some mentioned above remember the lifting of a house can cause all kinds of other issues that the foundation companies will not cover. I had a house in Texas that was quoted $8,000 for piers, and they told me flat out it would crack my kitchen floor when they lifted the house and they wouldn't cover that........as well as a 5 page waiver listing 1,000 other things they wouldn't cover. I had an independent structural engineer come out and he said it was normal movement and it would likely not get worse.......that i could save thousands by just living with a few cracks in the walls or better yet fix them for a few hundred and call it good......it's not as though the house is going to fall into a giant hole in your sleep :)