George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Yeah, this event was still fresh in everyone's mind

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1268569709630324736
George Floyd's death was the spark, but there are so many of these instances. Some of the ones that get cited all the time were, IMHO, legit situations, but when the weight of your personal experience is tainted with the reality or belief that racism is to blame you learn to NOT trust the official word of the police.

I believe that dude in Ferguson(Micheal Brown right?) charged a cop and tried to disarm him, but for every one of those, there's also a George Floyd. Without cameras, would anyone know what happened outside eye witness accounts? The system calls it legit so it is legit, but it isn't. An officer literally took a man's life in broad daylight in front of the world. This situation verifies for them that ALL situations were corrupt and that the system just spins the narrative to suit the result instead of providing justice in the face of abuse of power.

I work with a different minority all the time, and they also see racism everywhere around them. I've witnessed some of it, and some missed me. There are groups of people that live their life thinking there is nowhere for them to go and any success is limited by the color of their skin. It's heartbreaking. Truly smart and gifted kids feel absolutely hopeless.

I've never felt the need to apologize for racism I took no part in or mistreatment I never inflicted. I'm not ashamed to be white. I'm saddened by racial history in the world, not just the United States, but you won't find me on my knees begging forgiveness for white privilege. I took a knee to propose once, and I get on my knees ONLY for God since. I'll take a knee WITH YOU but not to you.

As for white privilege, this is how I see it now.

I grew up poor. Single mom etc. I went through lots of hell growing up that I've had to work to overcome, and still am. One thing that stands out to me(as a teacher) is that I was never told that I can't do something. It was always about how hard I'd work for it or if I'd apply myself to reach a goal. No one ever treated me like I couldn't accomplish whatever I wanted to. These kids don't feel that way. They feel defeated already, therefore why try?

I grew up with 2 felon stepfathers. I was around a lot of cops and in and out of prisons growing up. I never felt afraid of them at all. I even had a cop pull a gun on me and I didn't feel like my life was in any danger whatsoever. I wasn't conditioned by the experience of upbringing to believe they'd try to hurt me if I acted wrongly. The kids I work with don't feel that way at all. They are untrusting of police. They feel targetted by their Native license plates and pushed aside. They identify a LOT with the black community on these issues. I can chalk it up to just upbringing and victim mentality, but it is a mixed bag. Yes, there is generational issues that are quite obvious, and I've argued that some of them hold onto the victim mentality to their own detriment, but there's this need to be seen/heard/understood. I feel helpless at times to get through to them. There are positive experiences and kids that take on the "I can do this" attitude. Those that do tend to succeed. They usually have both parents in their home and/or a great support group of family and friends that push them to succeed. Those that don't, well, just this past year I had two former students(both should still be in school) up on charges related to the murder.

I've seen the statistics that more whites are killed by police in terms of raw numbers. Those same stats will show the ratio is higher for African-Americans. Something like 90%(or close) of black people murdered in this country are murdered by black people. 70%+ are raised without their fathers involved. Like most, when both parents are involved they tend to do better, but even those that succeed carry that fear of authority and racism with them.

Do I have white privilege? On some level, I suppose I do. They will say YES YOU DO because I don't have to fear cops. I don't get followed around stores. I don't feel like the system is pushing me down all the time. They do feel that way. and for them NOT FEELING those things IS a privilege in and of itself. Fear is a massive impediment if it rules you. I think of it like my wife's crazy fear of spiders in away. I'm not afraid of them in the slightest and her fear seems so silly to me. I hate being called from another room or from doing something to kill a spider, but she's legit terrified. She's terrified of heights too. I get uneasy, but not afraid. To her, I'm the lucky one. Spiders are dangerous. Heights are dangerous. Cops are dangerous. Racism does happen.

Sorry so long. I just kinda kept going there. I hope I make sense.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Coco is making an excuse for sure. And sure when planning for an arrest it might help to know a persons history. That doesn't seem to be the case here. He was in cuffs by 1 officer sitting down in a matter of minutes. The arresting officer was calm and writing a citation immediately afterwards.

The problem is people like Coco and likely many others would have bought the Polices excuse for using excessive force hook, line, and sinker if it wasn't for video evidence. That is a huge part of the problem. Police have free reign and almost total immunity. Literally and figuratively. They are abusing that power in most cities. That is THE PROBLEM. This isn't new we just have cameras now.
That is BS, if the cops are guilty they should go to prison. THE PROBLEM is that we almost never have all the facts in these cases but they are always spun one way or the other.

You want to accuse me if buying a narrative hook, line and sinker when you do the exact same thing with the opposite viewpoint. Speaking big picture here, not just this incident. Here's an example, hands up, don't shoot never happened, yet it was chanted at every single protest. We need to find out the real truth and address it, not just continually accuse each other if believing our own biased half truths every single time.

I think we very well could have a problem with police using excessive force, and possibly there are stereotypes that cause police to behave differently when dealing with minorities. However, I do not believe that racism is rampant in our nation's police forces. Quite obviously, we do have work to do to fix what problems there are. My concern is that won't happen as long as the issue is so politically charged. And certainly burning the country to the ground does not help.
Here's a video breaking down deaths by cop with actual numbers.

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1268352682646880256?s=19

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Looks like he's resisting arrest quite a bit to me.......
https://twitter.com/AlexLehnertFox9/status/1265409119843954694?s=19

When? He gets slightly pulled out of the car puts his arms out with open hands, they spin him around he moves a bit and they cuff him. Then with the other video you can see one officer slowly walks him over to the curb and he sits down on his own.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
George Floyd's death was the spark, but there are so many of these instances. Some of the ones that get cited all the time were, IMHO, legit situations, but when the weight of your personal experience is tainted with the reality or belief that racism is to blame you learn to NOT trust the official word of the police.

I believe that dude in Ferguson(Micheal Brown right?) charged a cop and tried to disarm him, but for every one of those, there's also a George Floyd. Without cameras, would anyone know what happened outside eye witness accounts? The system calls it legit so it is legit, but it isn't. An officer literally took a man's life in broad daylight in front of the world. This situation verifies for them that ALL situations were corrupt and that the system just spins the narrative to suit the result instead of providing justice in the face of abuse of power.

I work with a different minority all the time, and they also see racism everywhere around them. I've witnessed some of it, and some missed me. There are groups of people that live their life thinking there is nowhere for them to go and any success is limited by the color of their skin. It's heartbreaking. Truly smart and gifted kids feel absolutely hopeless.

I've never felt the need to apologize for racism I took no part in or mistreatment I never inflicted. I'm not ashamed to be white. I'm saddened by racial history in the world, not just the United States, but you won't find me on my knees begging forgiveness for white privilege. I took a knee to propose once, and I get on my knees ONLY for God since. I'll take a knee WITH YOU but not to you.

As for white privilege, this is how I see it now.

I grew up poor. Single mom etc. I went through lots of hell growing up that I've had to work to overcome, and still am. One thing that stands out to me(as a teacher) is that I was never told that I can't do something. It was always about how hard I'd work for it or if I'd apply myself to reach a goal. No one ever treated me like I couldn't accomplish whatever I wanted to. These kids don't feel that way. They feel defeated already, therefore why try?

I grew up with 2 felon stepfathers. I was around a lot of cops and in and out of prisons growing up. I never felt afraid of them at all. I even had a cop pull a gun on me and I didn't feel like my life was in any danger whatsoever. I wasn't conditioned by the experience of upbringing to believe they'd try to hurt me if I acted wrongly. The kids I work with don't feel that way at all. They are untrusting of police. They feel targetted by their Native license plates and pushed aside. They identify a LOT with the black community on these issues. I can chalk it up to just upbringing and victim mentality, but it is a mixed bag. Yes, there is generational issues that are quite obvious, and I've argued that some of them hold onto the victim mentality to their own detriment, but there's this need to be seen/heard/understood. I feel helpless at times to get through to them. There are positive experiences and kids that take on the "I can do this" attitude. Those that do tend to succeed. They usually have both parents in their home and/or a great support group of family and friends that push them to succeed. Those that don't, well, just this past year I had two former students(both should still be in school) up on charges related to the murder.

I've seen the statistics that more whites are killed by police in terms of raw numbers. Those same stats will show the ratio is higher for African-Americans. Something like 90%(or close) of black people murdered in this country are murdered by black people. 70%+ are raised without their fathers involved. Like most, when both parents are involved they tend to do better, but even those that succeed carry that fear of authority and racism with them.

Do I have white privilege? On some level, I suppose I do. They will say YES YOU DO because I don't have to fear cops. I don't get followed around stores. I don't feel like the system is pushing me down all the time. They do feel that way. and for them NOT FEELING those things IS a privilege in and of itself. Fear is a massive impediment if it rules you. I think of it like my wife's crazy fear of spiders in away. I'm not afraid of them in the slightest and her fear seems so silly to me. I hate being called from another room or from doing something to kill a spider, but she's legit terrified. She's terrified of heights too. I get uneasy, but not afraid. To her, I'm the lucky one. Spiders are dangerous. Heights are dangerous. Cops are dangerous. Racism does happen.

Sorry so long. I just kinda kept going there. I hope I make sense.
Let me be clear...

If me taking a knew would make this all stop and people move forward, I might for the sake of us all.

Mar 11, 2006
Here's a video breaking down deaths by cop with actual numbers.

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1268352682646880256?s=19

First, this should be fact-check independently ... and then after that it should be required viewing in all middle and high schools.

It shouldn’t matter your ideology on this. Facts should matter. Tucker is 100% right on this.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Agreed on the past. I don't think any of this specific example screams racism. I think it is more cumulative events that has brought out the race bit.

Stillwater cops are the worst! By far the biggest jerks as far as police go of any city I have lived in.
Yeah, this event was still fresh in everyone's mind

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1268569709630324736
Can't find the other article about this, but arbery had been trespassing since October 2019 and another article I can't find says he has been told not to do this.... So once again, you have a false narrative of an "innocent" man who was just "jogging", and killed by racists. So because someone says they "heard" the N-word.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Can't find the other article about this, but arbery had been trespassing since October 2019 and another article I can't find says he has been told not to do this.... So once again, you have a false narrative of an "innocent" man who was just "jogging", and killed by racists. So because someone says they "heard" the N-word.

OK, so if someone might have trespassed a month back. Two civilians can chase him down with a car and shoot him while he is unarmed on a public street?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Innocent until proven guilty every time. Regardless of how long your prior wrap sheet is.
Totally agree...but we have to report ALL the facts...you know them, right? Not an excuse for excessive force but to think it was totally race based in this specific incident is not entirely true. Do we see a pattern of disproportionate racial treatment over time? yep...But did the media manipulate this one? That, to me is a huge question and the reason we have to start living in a post media world where we at least question EVERY news story for it's bias and purpose...because SO few of them just report all the facts...they nearly ALL have an underlining agenda to evoke emotion and disdain for one specific thing and ignore other facts that may cloud that reaction. The American masses are being mind controlled by their media. Can you not see this??? Just wait until we get the deep fakers going after every video...it's going to get VERY ugly if we CANNOT see through the garbage we are being fed as people.
Actually I’d argue the opposite. The media coverage was actually a tad late to this incident, this was 100% organically spread online from social media sharing of the video.

You can argue I guess that the following days was media driven as the protests and then violence spread to other cities, but what happened in Minnesota, especially the mobilization for the first batch of violence where Far-left&Far-right rioters met, that all managed to happen while the media was still catching up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Actually I’d argue the opposite. The media coverage was actually a tad late to this incident, this was 100% organically spread online from social media sharing of the video.

You can argue I guess that the following days was media driven as the protests and then violence spread to other cities, but what happened in Minnesota, especially the mobilization for the first batch of violence where Far-left&Far-right rioters met, that all managed to happen while the media was still catching up

What happens when deep fakers start to fake these types of videos and they are shared far and wide as truth? I'm not saying in anyway that happened this time...IT DID NOT...but those could, in the future, be skewed either or any way the fraudster wants them too. Btw, what "far right" rioters? I'm not convinced of any of those currently...perhaps there are but I haven't seen any proof of that.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Agreed on the past. I don't think any of this specific example screams racism. I think it is more cumulative events that has brought out the race bit.

Stillwater cops are the worst! By far the biggest jerks as far as police go of any city I have lived in.
So don't provoke them. They'll stop you if they catch you rolling to a stop sign or stopping over the stripes. They can even see you're not wearing seat belts when you're driving after dark. Anyway, the worst thing Stillwater cops could have done after stopping me after a couple of minor incidents was arrest me for DUI. But they didn't. But what if I was black?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

What happens when deep fakers start to fake these types of videos? I'm not saying in anyway that happened this time...but those could be skewed either or any way the fraudster wants them too. Btw, what "far right" rioters? I'm not convinced of any of those currently...perhaps there are but I haven't seen any proof of that.
...I don’t even know what to say to that except you’re going down a conspiracy rabbit hole. When that time comes, I would depend on several institutions in the press to fact check the video and rely on their opinions. I would have to trust those institutions and understand their biases. I already feel like I have that relationship with certain media outlets.

But who knows, maybe everything since the moon landing has been faked?/s

As for your second question....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/?_g...2Q2Yk90RFE5SjBmeExWZzQ2QkJNbXZPbV9yaTdDN1pwbQ..

And since nobody here probably respects WaPo, Marco Rubio said as his duties Senate Intelligence Chairman that they had intel that ANTIFA&Boogaloo groups were going around “encouraging and committing violence” Friday night.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
...I don’t even know what to say to that except you’re going down a conspiracy rabbit hole. When that time comes, I would depend on several institutions in the press to fact check the video and rely on their opinions. I would have to trust those institutions and understand their biases. I already feel like I have that relationship with certain media outlets.

But who knows, maybe everything since the moon landing has been faked?/s

As for your second question....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/?_gl...2Q2Yk90RFE5SjBmeExWZzQ2QkJNbXZPbV9yaTdDN1pwbQ..

And since nobody here probably respects WaPo, Marco Rubio said as his duties Senate Intelligence Chairman that they had intel that ANTIFA&Boogaloo groups were going around “encouraging and committing violence” Friday night.

This guy was real suspicious too. Rumors are he was a cop. I don't think you get to assume every rioter is "far left" though. Most appear to be anarchist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-O4rnUToU

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I wish we had a president who could totally focus on the important issues at hand, rather than take time to personally attack anyone. It suggests to be if you can't think of a good way to attack the issue, then attack the person.
Our last two POTUSes have had that problem—getting easily distracted by things not all that important in the grand scheme of things. But much of that is driven by how the media does their reporting. They take stuff like this and blow it up to the point that you have to respond. At lunch it was on every news channel but Fox.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

OK, so if someone might have trespassed a month back. Two civilians can chase him down with a car and shoot him while he is unarmed on a public street?
He trespassed more than twice and he wasn't jogging, the guy had boots on. Both false narratives. They were trying to hold him for the cops to come, and he rushed one of them that had a gun.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
He trespassed more than twice and he wasn't jogging, the guy had boots on. Both false narratives. They were trying to hold him for the cops to come, and he rushed one of them that had a gun.

Boots!?!?!? I did google it and see a photoshopped picture of boots. Looks like you went searching for your false narrative.

Here is his official autopsy said he was wearing gray athletic shoes!?!?!

https://nypost.com/2020/05/11/ahmaud-arbery-autopsy-report-reveals-two-shotgun-blasts-to-the-chest/

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

These don't look like boots to me. These guys had no right to stop him and detain him. They chased him down in their trucks and pulled guns on him and he tried to get away several times. When he couldn't get away any longer he tried to defend himself. Not a hill to die on sticking up for these f'n guys.

1591300534099.png