George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Good luck with this experiment city of Minneapolis. I would be getting my family the hell outta dodge if I lived there.

https://twitter.com/alexsalvinews/status/1268706510013640704?s=20

https://twitter.com/jeremiah4north/status/1268598536234508288?s=20

The below pics from Facebook outline their "ideas". This lady below wants to abolish police and prisons.

We don’t need police to keep communities safe.

Edit for transparency: I am someone who’s had a really hard time settling into a strong stance on police/prison abolition. I always thought, “but how would it WORK? How will we be safe?” All the while forgetting that the police don’t actually keep most of us safe in the first place.

I’m trying to let go of the idea that we need a perfect model now in order to defund and abolish the police, but these graphics helped me envision the framework that could exist if we focused on community care instead of community policing.

If these graphics helped me a little, maybe they’ll help you

I did not create these, but the original creator is not concerned with credit so go ahead and share wherever you’d like! I can provide a link to the original source if needed!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://youtu.be/JtPfoEvNJ74

Interesting take from Candace Owens.
I wonder how much she got paid for this.
She's not the only one.
From Meeke Addison, a black conservative Christan radio host:

"When someone asks me in private message, "Why haven't you a Christian activist spoken out about George Floyd?" My private and public response is I control my commentary. And I despise being told what to feel and how to communicate that feeling. I'm tired of being manipulated. WHO in any position of power to bring justice for George Floyd is ignoring what happened to him? NOT ONE PERSON! The non-stop coverage of this man's death has been exploited to incite violence. I know how this works. The police officer who murdered George Floyd is like the police officer who murdered autistic, Jeremy Mardis in 2015 (many people don't even know who he is because he didn't enjoy the benefits of a national hashtag and community burning). Why were there no riots?? Because that officer was black and Mardis was white. That black officer was arrested. Just like the white officer in Floyd's murder. To my friends who want to determine the consistency of my care for human life, check my online footprint. I don't have to prove myself to anyone. I resist that type of foolish peer pressure. I don't think George Floyd needs to be celebrated as an urban saint for me to care about his murder. Nor should he be dismissed as a crackhead for me to ignore him. I also don't need to be manipulated to care about Floyd because he was black, nor inticed to ignore him because the one who murdered him wore a badge.

Finally, I don't fear law enforcement. That must be my privilege speaking. I don't worry about my three, soon to be four sons growing up in America. I don't. If that makes me naive I'll take it. I am concerned at how brothers and sisters can so quickly turn on one another within the Body of Christ. Very concerned. We've taught our children about sin and the human heart. They understand things beyond skin color. They understand sin. They understand history and they understand that given the opportunity sinful people will oppress and murder. They read and study the Bible. They read and study history. They basically know the reaches of wickedness. We've been able to teach them this all without indirectly teaching them they are less than, or other in society. We will continue down this course. I will do nothing else!"

https://www.afa.net/the-stand/culture/2015/11/two-murdered-kidswheres-the-outrage/

Well

still making mistakes
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Now doctors are involved. Protest at Oklahoma State Capital at noon today. White Coats for justice, or something like that. And Black live matter doing a protest at SE 44 and High for the death of someone while at the county jail (not sure who the person is). Source: Channel 5 news this morning.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
The below pics from Facebook outline their "ideas". This lady below wants to abolish police and prisons.

Oh man, what a utopia. What kind of drugs would they have to pump into the water supply to keep everyone so docile so this pipe dream would work like they think it will?

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I hope they do it! I watch with anticipation the new appreciation Minneapolis finds for the police.
I honestly think at this point these morons need to actually see first hand how bad things would be in these high crime areas without police being there to uphold the laws. Those areas would become worse than 3rd world countries. The death rates would sky rocket.

Nov 6, 2010
I honestly think at this point these morons need to actually see first hand how bad things would be in these high crime areas without police being there to uphold the laws. Those areas would become worse than 3rd world countries. The death rates would sky rocket.
When all the dust settles, I doubt the changes are really that radical. My guess is the focus will be on training and protocols, and MAYBE a push to oust some of the bad apples by pushing some type of whistle blower program, if one doesn't already exist. Add in some leadership changes and I think that will be about it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Jun 14, 2011

There are actually some really good ideas, and great places to start, in this list. To just dismiss everything, because some of the points you disagree with, is just ignorant. Obviously abolishing police and prisons outright, is asinine.

There are a lot of people out there with mental health issues where someone trained in helping/managing them and understanding where they are coming from could reduce the number of people in prisons and deescalate situations where many traditionally trained officers don't have the knowledge to do so. I could go down a deep rabbit hole about the state of mental health support (or lack thereof) in this country, but that is another topic. Maybe you have a separate branch of officers who had much more advanced training in this field, or if that is already present, you expand its scope substantially.

This leads to my complete disagreement with defunding police. The funds could be applied more intelligently to programs and training to help the officers who are out there in harms way every day. To say they shouldnt have the equipment they need to stay safe is not fair to them, but I think not having more training, where applicable, is also not fair to them.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
There are actually some really good ideas, and great places to start, in this list. To just dismiss everything, because some of the points you disagree with, is just ignorant. Obviously abolishing police and prisons outright, is asinine.

There are a lot of people out there with mental health issues where someone trained in helping/managing them and understanding where they are coming from could reduce the number of people in prisons and deescalate situations where many traditionally trained officers don't have the knowledge to do so. I could go down a deep rabbit hole about the state of mental health support (or lack thereof) in this country, but that is another topic. Maybe you have a separate branch of officers who had much more advanced training in this field, or if that is already present, you expand its scope substantially.

This leads to my complete disagreement with defunding police. The funds could be applied more intelligently to programs and training to help the officers who are out there in harms way every day. To say they shouldnt have the equipment they need to stay safe is not fair to them, but I think not having more training, where applicable, is also not fair to them.
I don't disagree with these ideas. They'd be wonderful if they worked out. It's just getting everyone to play along with them is what seems impossible.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Already present in multiple cities, but I have no clue how widespread it is or what level of resources are available. Story I remember reading a few years back on this talked about how domestic violence incidents really became the impetus for changing how police responded to those incidents.

Oct 7, 2008
She's not the only one.
From Meeke Addison, a black conservative Christan radio host:

"When someone asks me in private message, "Why haven't you a Christian activist spoken out about George Floyd?" My private and public response is I control my commentary. And I despise being told what to feel and how to communicate that feeling. I'm tired of being manipulated. WHO in any position of power to bring justice for George Floyd is ignoring what happened to him? NOT ONE PERSON! The non-stop coverage of this man's death has been exploited to incite violence. I know how this works. The police officer who murdered George Floyd is like the police officer who murdered autistic, Jeremy Mardis in 2015 (many people don't even know who he is because he didn't enjoy the benefits of a national hashtag and community burning). Why were there no riots?? Because that officer was black and Mardis was white. That black officer was arrested. Just like the white officer in Floyd's murder. To my friends who want to determine the consistency of my care for human life, check my online footprint. I don't have to prove myself to anyone. I resist that type of foolish peer pressure. I don't think George Floyd needs to be celebrated as an urban saint for me to care about his murder. Nor should he be dismissed as a crackhead for me to ignore him. I also don't need to be manipulated to care about Floyd because he was black, nor inticed to ignore him because the one who murdered him wore a badge.

Finally, I don't fear law enforcement. That must be my privilege speaking. I don't worry about my three, soon to be four sons growing up in America. I don't. If that makes me naive I'll take it. I am concerned at how brothers and sisters can so quickly turn on one another within the Body of Christ. Very concerned. We've taught our children about sin and the human heart. They understand things beyond skin color. They understand sin. They understand history and they understand that given the opportunity sinful people will oppress and murder. They read and study the Bible. They read and study history. They basically know the reaches of wickedness. We've been able to teach them this all without indirectly teaching them they are less than, or other in society. We will continue down this course. I will do nothing else!"

https://www.afa.net/the-stand/culture/2015/11/two-murdered-kidswheres-the-outrage/

To this day, the worst police killing I've seen was the white cop in Arizona with "You're f**ked" etched into his gun killing an unarmed white man who was laying face down on a hotel floor complying with orders. Part of me wishes this wasn't framed as a racial issue because a militarized police force affects us all. And if you take the racial component out of it, there's one less thing to divide us.