George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2007
Denver
I would have done the same thing and pushed him away also. The lesson here is don't invade people's personal space and keep your hands to yourself. Duh.
Pushing someone to the ground because they are near you is assault.

Oh and the police report says he tripped and fell. But supposedly the Buffalo police just suspended the officer to investigate.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I agree they were too aggressive, but there have been multiple instances of people going for their sidearms.
I know this is ingrained into everyone's head now that cops are to respond to everything with physical force, but this has to change and is going to change. The word keeps coming up over and over. De-escalate. So many freaking situations won't spiral out of control with some de-escalation. Which could've been done easily there with that old man.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/1268543165763661826
That's funny stuff right there. What change is going to happen. They are going to go vote the same people back in that created this mess. Same Democrat mayors, city council men, Representatives, Senators etc that have created the mess in the inner cities.

If the people in the inner cities want change they need to start a party of their own and not caucus with the republicans or democrats. It wouldn't take much to completely change the dynamic in DC and at the state level. With just 50 congressmen and 5 or 6 senators they could have the controlling vote on any bill that came through. The D's and R's would have to suck up to them for support to get anything through. That would be real change.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Show me where simply touching someone is assault? Also show me where the old man touches the cop? The old guy has a shirt in one hand and a phone in the other.
Not going to waste my time. Fact is, he created the potential for this outcome by doing what he did. Emotions were high and it wasn't play time. Lol. Go up and touch a few strangers and see how that works for you. Better yet, try it on riot uniformed leos while involved in one of the most intense situations in US history. You're silly.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
IMHO a person is a bit racist, or at least inexperienced, to believe that all black people have the same viewpoints. I'd challenge you to stop looking at people of other races and thinking they are all in lock step on their ideas...because they are NOT and to see them that way is...in and of itself...the most racist thing you can think or do. It also shows you have little experience with people of color. One of my dear friends who happens to be black was a Carson voter, loves Trumps policies, and listens to Rush Limbaugh every day...SO, please stop making incorrect and faulty assumptions based on someone's race...see each person as an individual that they are...to see others, in any race, a being in lock step is not seeing them as the freethinkers and God's creation that they are...AND, IMHO, that's "racism."

Joe Biden and his comment a few weeks back is the perfect example of true "racism." And, in fact, one of the most racist things I've ever heard uttered by a politician....yet he's the assumed (by the media) choice of "black" America (once again assuming lock step of ideas)...which is a falsehood.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
When all the dust settles, I doubt the changes are really that radical. My guess is the focus will be on training and protocols, and MAYBE a push to oust some of the bad apples by pushing some type of whistle blower program, if one doesn't already exist. Add in some leadership changes and I think that will be about it.
Honestly, that sounds like no change at all to me. PDs are always upgrading and refreshing training and trying to get rid of bad apples. Some things will always slip through the cracks and bad people will end up in leadership roles no matter what you do (until we have a utopian society I suppose). It’s basically an admission that nothing is wrong with the current system outside of the fact that the system is inhabited by human beings (which will always mean imperfections).

I imagine every PD has ethics classes, ethics guidelines, and oversight. This reminds me a little bit of people always wanting stricter gun laws when every incident that happens violates a dozen existing ones. Everything is in existence that you need to achieve perfection, yet perfection is still unattainable. You just have to keep trying to get closer.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I know this is ingrained into everyone's head now that cops are to respond to everything with physical force, but this has to change and is going to change. The word keeps coming up over and over. De-escalate. So many freaking situations won't spiral out of control with some de-escalation. Which could've been done easily there with that old man.
While I agree this shouldn't have happened...why would anyone in their right mind walk into a police wall? Maybe he was distracted by his phone or the shirt he was holding...but we all have to be aware of our surroundings and we shouldn't walk into a line of police in riot gear...why do people do such things...Certainly the office shouldn't have pushed him and this should have been a different result but it's seriously not paying attention or not taking personal responsibility for oneself to be away from situations like this.

Nov 6, 2010
Honestly, that sounds like no change at all to me. PDs are always upgrading and refreshing training and trying to get rid of bad apples. Some things will always slip through the cracks and bad people will end up in leadership roles no matter what you do (until we have a utopian society I suppose). It’s basically an admission that nothing is wrong with the current system outside of the fact that the system is inhabited by human beings (which will always mean imperfections).

I imagine every PD has ethics classes, ethics guidelines, and oversight. This reminds me a little bit of people always wanting stricter gun laws when every incident that happens violates a dozen existing ones. Everything is in existence that you need to achieve perfection, yet perfection is still unattainable. You just have to keep trying to get closer.
Probably. One key difference this time around is the 3 cops that weren't actually involved in the physical part of the incident, but didn't do anything to stop it. If those guys get convicted and do time, I bet you'll see a lot more self-policing from within the ranks, which is really the only way to get rid of the truly bad actors in any organization. It's one thing to turn a blind eye and go home to your wife and complain about something a guy does on the job, but quite another to pay real consequences for being complicit in the behavior.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The cop really didn't respond with such aggression. Just his luck he push a 70 year old flopper. It's a reminder what a tough situation for these cops with all these interactions, just one little push back can put you on national news for assaulting some poor senior citizen. Probably could have been handled better but I'm glad I don't have to be the one dealing with this stuff.