1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

"Gift of a Lifetime" Dead

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by RoVerto Solo, Feb 4, 2010.

1. TouchdownCowboys

TouchdownCowboys Wrangler

My memory was Harvard using it for their endowment.
  2. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

Harvard lost nearly $2B during the meltdown, its not like we are the only one who lost money.
  3. GoPokesit

GoPokesit Cowboy

I'm pretty sure Harvard did not. If so, it wasn't publicized.
  4. GoPokesit

GoPokesit Cowboy

More like $10B.
  5. GoPokesit

GoPokesit Cowboy

The $275 million wasn't a loss. Pickens donated around $165 million that had a paper value of up to $400 million at one time, a small amount of which was pulled out for periodic funding of the football stadium. So, worst case, the loss was $40 million ($165 - $125), but was slightly less.
  6. GoPokesit

GoPokesit Cowboy

The fund was depleted to pay for the rest of the stadium (along with an addition $63 million from) so there was no further growth in the fund - it wen to zero.
  7. TouchdownCowboys

TouchdownCowboys Wrangler

Your stat shows your statement is wrong. If you go to Vegas with $200 run it up to $1000 until you ultimately cash out with $100 in chips you have lost $100. You statement implies an $800 loss.
  8. EdmondPoke

EdmondPoke Cowboy

Ask away and I'll answer any questions you have.
  9. LS1 Z28

LS1 Z28 Cowboy

The athletic department was in control of a hedge fund investment that totalled over $400 million. After the economy collapsed the hedge fund lost around $280 million. $280 Million was lost. Now if you want to make the arguement that the net loss was much lower that's true. But that doesn't change fact that the money was lost.
    The truth is the money in the hedge fund should've been pulled long before that much was lost. We didn't do it because Boone Pickens didn't want us to.

Anyone who thinks Boone Pickens doesn't call the shot in our athletic department is fooling themselves. He doesn't run the athletic department on a day to day basis. He hand-picked Coach Holder to do it for him. He makes the important decisions.

Don't get me wrong. Boone Pickens loves this school. I'm extremely gracious to BP for all that he's done for both the school & the athletic department. I'll never forget Lewis Field. That's where I first watched college football. I loved it rust & all. But I see what BPS is now & it's hard to imagine how far we've come.

The hedge fund collapse combined with the failed insurance scheme cost our athletic department hunderds of millions of dollars. They cost us facilities in our athletic village that we still don't have & I don't see us funding in the near future. They were incredible mistakes that deserve to be recognized as such.
  10. Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber Donnyboy RELAX

Here's a question for a legal eagle on this site.....

We filed eminent domain and destroyed a ton of homes for an Athletic Village that the funds were in high risk investments and lost.....if you were a home or rent house owner would one have a claim against the school and maybe even the state in those matters?
  11. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Cowboy

OSU claimed eminent domain over one house. They rest they just paid for.
  12. Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber Donnyboy RELAX

Ok....that's good to know I remember there being a fight over one. Does that one who was an issue now have grounds again?
  13. osfn8

osfn8 Cowboy

That house is where one of the grass fields are so it's about to be used. And I think it was immediately a parking lot. If it was north of McElroy MAYBE, but I strongly doubt a case wouldn't get thrown out.
  14. GoPokesit

GoPokesit Cowboy

Hindsight is always 20/20. Did Pickens not want to pull it or did the AD not want to pull it? Also, a hedge fund is not like a mutual fund. You can't withdraw it at any time. Usually it can be withdrawn only quarterly or even less frequently, with 30 to 120 days notice. It was withdrawn as quickly as possible after the downturn began. Having said that, I thought the lack of diversification was a bad idea, but if diversified similar to the University's general endowment, the funds would have increased substantially less, perhaps to $250 million and then would have seen a loss of 30% or more back to perhaps $150 million.
  15. LS1 Z28

LS1 Z28 Cowboy

Totally agree hindsight is 20/20.
    If it took a great deal of time to pull the money out of the hedge fund that would explain why we lost so much. I was under the impression that BP kept assuring us the economy would bounce back & not to pull the funds. Then as the funds dwindled to the point we wouldn't be able to pay off the football stadium if they got any lower, we were forced to pull them.

The truth is we should've seen it coming. We got greedy. Mike Holder said in an interview once that they envisioned the fund topping $1 billion. If we would've just pulled the money out of the hedge fund after it topped $400 million we could've built the athletic village.

At this point it's water under the bridge. There's no value in dwelling on past mistakes. We've also had great achievements over the past decade that have overshadowed those mistakes.
  16. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

Shh, we don't talk about that.
  17. L-Town Poke

L-Town Poke can you quack like a duck

I do not understand putting that amount of money into such high-risk places. Was it not spread out to high-risk high reward , low-risk low reward accounts. I thought the best thing was to be divirsified ? amirite?
  18. Jostate

Jostate Cowboy

Boone didn't get to be a billionaire by doing the traditionally safe things.
    OSUndefeated likes this.
  19. OKCFan

OKCFan Wrangler

actually, i CAN blame ALL that on Boone and Holder. the fund achieved the number they were after but they kept the $$$ in there in hopes of it going higher. then it tanked.

and i don't care about the economy being at it's worst because that's what the entire hedge fund is about; trying to predict what the economy is going to do.

you're crazy/delusional if you believed that years ago, much less now.

Attorneys produced a paper trail from Holder's emails with him writing once that if it wasn't done soon as Pickens wanted, "I will be in a cave with Bin Laden."
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-state-cowboys-lose-bid-regain-33m-fundraiser
  20. AshlandFlash

AshlandFlash Cowboy

I like you. Your delusions and paranoia are much stronger than most people's. I bet you make your own tin foil hats.

The constant bashing of Holder and Pickens seems to always ignore that great big stadium sitting there on Hall of Fame in Stillwater, as well as all those other improvements being made on campus. It seems that SOMEONE funded a LOT of construction.