1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Google Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Video Games, Movies & Technology' started by Ultra86, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Ultra86

Ultra86 Cowboy

2. Ultra86

Ultra86 Cowboy

And is it just me, or does the Chrome logo look like Guilty Spark 343? It is just one day closer to Skynet (Googlenet).

[​IMG]
  3. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Cowboy

I'm not a fan of cloud computing. Too many things can go wrong. Too much data to keep safe. With Google having the questionable practice of "owning" anything and everything that is on their servers, I won't be putting my extreme personal info on it nor any of my business related work.
  4. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

Cloud computing will be the next big thing. Several companies are doing extensive research into it.

Basically with cloud computing the end user will only need a work station that can access the internet...cutting out the needs for disk drives, big power supplies, memory sticks, video cards etc etc etc.

Making it easier for the computer companies to lower their pricing significantly and grow their market base by millions of consumers
  5. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gem├╝tlichkeit

That sucks. I don't want people like Google having my documents.
  6. Joey

Joey Cowboy

7. OSUCherokee

OSUCherokee Wrangler

Home: Norman, OK----Currently: Afghanistan
    Talk about vulnerable to security breeches. One hacker shuts down a huge mainframe of people's operating systems. No thanks.
  8. Ultra86

Ultra86 Cowboy

It's why businesses will never go to this model. They will want control of their data and relaibility. I don't know if targeting the netbook market is a great idea, either.
  9. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

I don't know how I feel about giving Google all my data, but I do think/know desktop visualization is a great tool. It is a much more secure way of storing data, cheaper, and much more reliable.
  10. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

Microsoft and Extreme Computing formed a partnership and were hired by the US government June 29th 2009 to do research and studies on developing a Cloud computing system for the US government.

This way all the info is stored in 1 location and they don't have to worry about 10,000 of thousands of employees walking around with sensitve info on thumb drives, hard drives, CD's etc.

This is the same exact reason large business will flock to this......as we see more and more stories of ...."Employee looses thumb drive with 15,000 Social security numbers", or "Laptop found with Military Nuculear secrets remaining on it at Army Surplus store"..etc

In October 2008 Microsoft started a program to build their Cloud OS.....named so greatly Windows Cloud

Soon the only thing you will need at your house for a SUPER powerful and fast computer is an internet connection, Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.

There is even a cloud based game consol coming out...all you do is hook a little box about the size of a nintendo DS to the internet and then to your TV...plug your controller into it and will have access to 1000's and 1000's of games to play....for a monthly price of course
  11. dds115

The company I am doing an internship for this summer does a lot of virtual desktops, and I have really learned the advantages of it. Colleges are some of the largest users of the technology.
  12. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

I noticed back in Feb when I went with my wife on a doctors visit that St John's does this now. The doc said it was one of the greatest things they had done because all the patient info was housed at one location and was accessible to anyone at any of their locations with the touch of a button.

She said that since they were no longer limited by Hard drive space, they could save full Cat Scans, all X-ray pics, etc etc for each patient and have a full visual/vidoe medical history they could access from anywhere in the world or share with any hospital in the world
  13. Ultra86

Ultra86 Cowboy

I should rephrase that. It's why businesses will never allow a company to hold their data and access to their data. Businesses may go to this model, but it will be their own in-house system and using the Chrome OS or Windows Cloud as a means to get there. They've already had this idea out for quite some time with the thin client system.
  14. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Cowboy

I completely agree with you. Terminal Services has been a popular choice for Windows environments. My work utilizes this service for applicants. However, a company that stores all kinds of personal, sensitive information will not move to this internet cloud.

Binman, you say that companies won't have to worry about losing data because of careless users but that just won't be the case. The physical lose may be minimal but you will still have users save their password information on a public computer or stay logged in and unlocked while they go grab some napkins from the front counter and come back to no PC at all.

The underlining problem of all network/data security has always and will always be the user.

Secondly, if you maintain all of your data in one central location that is accessible easily from the web, that will be a prime target for corporate espionage and terrorist attacks.
  15. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

Very true that the user is the biggest variable.......hence why the user themselves will eventually become the password.

You will see security devices such as retinal scanners, finger print readers, and probally eventually some sort of access chip type implant on people to ensure they are the only ones that can access the info
  16. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Cowboy

All of which can be bypassed, not easily, but possible. Where there is data, there is a hacker trying to get it.

Does anybody remember what happens in the public when sensitive information is stolen? The general public would crucify companies if this happened. Plus, the government will want to take even more control over our private data to ensure that it is "safe."

This goes down a very scary road. I don't think it'll amount to anything other than personal use.
  17. dds115

99.999% of the time the user will be the reason for any breach in the system.

The real advantage in cloud computing is the cost. All it takes is Mainframe on the back end, and a thin client. Also, the thin clients don't have moving parts, so last much longer than a typical computer.
  18. dds115

You are 100% correct, but the data is more secure on a mainframe than on a personal computer. Granted, if you get into the mainframe you have access to thousands of people's personal data as opposed to a single user's on a personal computer.
  19. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

Whats easier to control.

25,000 desktop and lap top hard drives, 10,000 thumb drives, and 5,000 CD's worth of information floating around in locations points around the globe

OR

25,000 access points with all the information stored in one location where sharing and access to that info can be monitored 100% of the time.

What happens when someone steals a thumbdrive or stacks of CD's of info and the person doesn't notice that they are missing for 1-2 weeks......

Much easier to catch a theif when you can monitor them in the act and know when, where and how they are access the info

The next question.

If a hack is successful which is easeir?? Changing the info and updating the security features on 25,000 lap tops and desktops.

OR

Updating the security features on 1 location

My last question.

A typical company has to update its equipment about every 3-4 years

What is cheaper.

Purchasing 25,000 Laptops and PC's, installing the needed company info and programs onto those items and then shipping them around the world to employees....and hiring a full time IT staff in each geographic location to maintain and troubleshoot those items

OR

Upgrading a room full of servers with 1 IT team that can update the accessible info and programs in the same room with all the information? Also having universal stations so that every single person has the same exact periphials.

Unfortunatly this is NOT completely about data security, its ALL about Cost.

It is MUCH cheaper for a company to move to a cloud based systems...they save equipment cost, Labor cost (which is a biggie), real time security, etc etc etc
  20. dds115

Binman4OSU, do you work for VMware? :)

You are spot on though.