Google Claims to have created first ever Quantum computing processor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Know as the Sycamore quantum processor Google claims they have developed the worlds first quantum computing processor which they say was able to complete a specific task in 200 SECONDS which would take today's worlds best super computer 10,000 years to complete

The results and paper were published in this months Nature Journal.

The Sycamore was sent a random sampling task to produce a set of numbers which have a true random distribution. It was able to complete this task in 3 min and 20 seconds

IBM which is also working on quantum computers questioned Google's results saying that the same task their quantum computer did can be done with a classical super computer in 2.5 days if it is given enough Fidelity

For those who wonder what IBM's claim on Fidelity meant...I had to look it up myself. If you understand it..

Qualitatively, fidelity is the measure of the distance between two quantum states. Fidelity equal to 1, means that two states are equal. In the case of a density matrix, fidelity represents the overlap with a reference pure state. Fidelity equal to 1, means that the density matrix is diagonal and equivalent to the pure reference state.

Like every distance in metric spaces, it is obtained by means of an inner product. The inner product of two states is the overlap. The square of that is the fidelity (in the same way that that distance is defined in Euclidean space). That is, |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|2|⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|2, also known as spectroscopic factor in some physics context.

For mixed state is the equivalent operation, that is evaluation of the density matrix ⟨ψ1|ρ1|ψ1⟩⟨ψ1|ρ1|ψ1⟩.

This measure is particularly important because quantum devices are noisy devices, therefore the fidelity of a result respect to an exact solution represents the inverse of the noise.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Know as the Sycamore quantum processor Google claims they have developed the worlds first quantum computing processor which they say was able to complete a specific task in 200 SECONDS which would take today's worlds best super computer 10,000 years to complete

The results and paper were published in this months Nature Journal.

The Sycamore was sent a random sampling task to produce a set of numbers which have a true random distribution. It was able to complete this task in 3 min and 20 seconds

IBM which is also working on quantum computers questioned Google's results saying that the same task their quantum computer did can be done with a classical super computer in 2.5 days if it is given enough Fidelity

For those who wonder what IBM's claim on Fidelity meant...I had to look it up myself. If you understand it..

Qualitatively, fidelity is the measure of the distance between two quantum states. Fidelity equal to 1, means that two states are equal. In the case of a density matrix, fidelity represents the overlap with a reference pure state. Fidelity equal to 1, means that the density matrix is diagonal and equivalent to the pure reference state.

Like every distance in metric spaces, it is obtained by means of an inner product. The inner product of two states is the overlap. The square of that is the fidelity (in the same way that that distance is defined in Euclidean space). That is, |⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|2|⟨ψ1|ψ2⟩|2, also known as spectroscopic factor in some physics context.

For mixed state is the equivalent operation, that is evaluation of the density matrix ⟨ψ1|ρ1|ψ1⟩⟨ψ1|ρ1|ψ1⟩.

This measure is particularly important because quantum devices are noisy devices, therefore the fidelity of a result respect to an exact solution represents the inverse of the noise.
As long as we beat the Chinese to this I don't care if Google or IBM is the one who wins.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
As long as we beat the Chinese to this I don't care if Google or IBM is the one who wins.
The race for Quantum Computing and AI development is vastly greater than the race for the atomic bomb. The advantage that the victor would have is astronomical. Its like fighting someone from the renaissance with todays tech. There is a reason China was desperate to beat us there.