Grier Sitting Out WVU Bowl Game

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Reading the article seems to settle the "maybe Hill is still injured" thing. A kid wants to skip out on his team that's his prerogative, but let's quit pretending he's still recovering from an injury.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
The only hope I have from this emerging trend is that people decide to not go to bowls...which forces them to stop holding the lower-tier, unimportant ones. The bowl schedule should only be, at most, maybe sixteen, give or take.

There are way too many that are wastes of time. And hopefully, this would force teams to be more competitive and treat it seriously.

AND finally, the playoff could be expanded.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The only hope I have from this emerging trend is that people decide to not go to bowls...which forces them to stop holding the lower-tier, unimportant ones. The bowl schedule should only be, at most, maybe sixteen, give or take.

There are way too many that are wastes of time. And hopefully, this would force teams to be more competitive and treat it seriously.

Until it's no longer economically viable for ESPN to bankroll these bowls, it won't change. Out of the 40 games this year, ESPN's airing 35 of them. Yes, 35.

Additionally, the communities that host them benefit from added tourism, which they're not likely turn away any time soon.

Lastly, putting the schools on the hook for X number of tickets to the game helps sustain them. We see the stories every single year of how teams lose money going to a bowl.

So, in the end, ESPN ponies up for programming (the bowls), the schools then subsidize them by being forced to cover X number of tickets, & the towns profit from the tourism. Until the schools drive a harder bargain on what they're forced to guarantee back to the bowl, the current structure won't change.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Until it's no longer economically viable for ESPN to bankroll these bowls, it won't change. Out of the 40 games this year, ESPN's airing 35 of them. Yes, 35.

Additionally, the communities that host them benefit from added tourism, which they're not likely turn away any time soon.

Lastly, putting the schools on the hook for X number of tickets to the game helps sustain them. We see the stories every single year of how teams lose money going to a bowl.

So, in the end, ESPN ponies up for programming (the bowls), the schools then subsidize them by being forced to cover X number of tickets, & the towns profit from the tourism. Until the schools drive a harder bargain on what they're forced to guarantee back to the bowl, the current structure won't change.
Even schools that have to guarantee money to the bowls think it is worth it to get the additional practice time.

Jan 3, 2014
I enjoy the bowl season...love watching more college football...right now watching FCS Quarterfinal, North Dakota St and Colgate...why would you want less bowl games? (that was really not a question I care to hear an answer, just stating that I thoroughly enjoy the bowl season)

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Well, no doubt it diminishes the X number of years consecutive bowl streak line.

Out of curiosity, would you ever like to see the BB tournament expanded further?

Around 20% of D1 teams make the tourney, whereas 66% of FB teams make a Bowl.
I think BB is close to the maximum. I would not like to see it go past the few extra "play-in" games we have now.

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

if that happens.... many folks will quit watching entirely, and quit buying season tickets (which are already in decline).

be very careful what you wish for.

why in the hell would anybody with even half a brain wish for the demise of bowl opportunities for college kids?

Waste of "who's time"? Yours? Don't watch.

There are millions of fans that attend "lower bowl games" that do not agree with you that it is a "waste of their time".

Why do you hate college football so much?

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I enjoy the bowl season...love watching more college football...right now watching FCS Quarterfinal, North Dakota St and Colgate...why would you want less bowl games? (that was really not a question I care to hear an answer, just stating that I thoroughly enjoy the bowl season)
I am more likely to watch a "lower bowl" game than the MNC game, which I typically have zero interest in seeing.

I try to watch as many of the bowl games as I can, and almost never see playoff games.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Reading the article seems to settle the "maybe Hill is still injured" thing. A kid wants to skip out on his team that's his prerogative, but let's quit pretending he's still recovering from an injury.
Not sure who you think still believed he was recovering. It's been out there that he was cleared to play the TCU game and chose to not travel.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Because there are too many. Orlando gets three or four, alone. That’s absurd.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
if that happens.... many folks will quit watching entirely, and quit buying season tickets (which are already in decline).

be very careful what you wish for.

why in the hell would anybody with even half a brain wish for the demise of bowl opportunities for college kids?

Waste of "who's time"? Yours? Don't watch.

There are millions of fans that attend "lower bowl games" that do not agree with you that it is a "waste of their time".

Why do you hate college football so much?
Lol, wanting less pointless bowl games means I hate college football? Shove that hyperbole right back up your butt.

I’m simply saying, a lot of bowls are pointless. Period. I would rather like to see a playoff with sixteen teams eventually, and nothing more.