Grier Sitting Out WVU Bowl Game

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I realize it’s pedantic, but it’s “fewer bowl games,” not “less bowl games.”

“Less” is used when you can’t itemize or count the items. “Fewer” is used when you can.

When you make less money, you have fewer dollars.

/nerd

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Lol, wanting less pointless bowl games means I hate college football? Shove that hyperbole right back up your butt.

I’m simply saying, a lot of bowls are pointless. Period. I would rather like to see a playoff with sixteen teams eventually, and nothing more.
You would want to give 16 teams a further advantage by giving them post season practice and everyone else sits at home? I'm not a huge fan of all the bowls, but they do give something to watch.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I’m simply saying, a lot of bowls are pointless. Period. I would rather like to see a playoff with sixteen teams eventually, and nothing more.
The point of bowl games is to make money and increase visibility for the sponsoring company/organization. That’s it, and that’s why there are so many of them. That’s why there is a Cheez-it bowl. And as long as they continue to make money from them, they will keep having them. Quite often, some of the lesser bowls make for the best games. I love cfb, and will watch any good matchup. Got no problem with the glut of bowls.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The point of bowl games is to make money and increase visibility for the sponsoring company/organization. That’s it, and that’s why there are so many of them. That’s why there is a Cheez-it bowl. And as long as they continue to make money from them, they will keep having them. Quite often, some of the lesser bowls make for the best games. I love cfb, and will watch any good matchup. Got no problem with the glut of bowls.
We just need to factor this in when we talk about how many times we've gone to a bowl as compared to the past. Not just us, but anybody. Obviously it's a far less impressive accomplishment than it was In 1973 there were 11 bowl games.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Not sure who you think still believed he was recovering. It's been out there that he was cleared to play the TCU game and chose to not travel.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
kids are often "cleared to play" while at 85% or 90% health - that does not mean that they are "healed".

Ribs are a very delicate injury, if he wasn't 100% with that injury, then whose to blame him?

was he 100% healthy, or was he "cleared to play"?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Lol, wanting less pointless bowl games means I hate college football? Shove that hyperbole right back up your butt.

OMG! You just said minor bowls are pointless and you don't care if kids get more opportunity - but you don't really hate college football, you just like to get to determine who you think should get to play football.

I'd say you move on from your hatred of college kids and find something else to do.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
kids are often "cleared to play" while at 85% or 90% health - that does not mean that they are "healed".

Ribs are a very delicate injury, if he wasn't 100% with that injury, then whose to blame him?

was he 100% healthy, or was he "cleared to play"?
So when Gundy referred to this situation and said "I hate to see players skipping bowl games", you think maybe Hill is still injured and Gundy just decided to publicly say he's "skipping the bowl game"? Why are a couple of you trying so hard to make this out to potentially still be an injury when it's pretty clear he's not.

Even if he was 85% to 90% for the TCU game, the bowl game is about 5 and a half weeks later. He was injured in Bedlam, cleared to play 2 weeks later and you're trying to say 7 weeks and 2 days later he might still be injured, despite Gundy's comments.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So when Gundy referred to this situation and said "I hate to see players skipping bowl games", you think maybe Hill is still injured and Gundy just decided to publicly say he's "skipping the bowl game"? Why are a couple of you trying so hard to make this out to potentially still be an injury when it's pretty clear he's not.

Even if he was 85% to 90% for the TCU game, the bowl game is about 5 and a half weeks later. He was injured in Bedlam, cleared to play 2 weeks later and you're trying to say 7 weeks and 2 days later he might still be injured, despite Gundy's comments.
he can skip the bowl if he wants.... I thought he was betting blasted for not playing against TCU.

it's his career, I'm not sure why anybody thinks they should have anything to say about any of it.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
he can skip the bowl if he wants.... I thought he was betting blasted for not playing against TCU.

it's his career, I'm not sure why anybody thinks they should have anything to say about any of it.
Because it's the interwebs. It's what we do. I agree it's his choice and I understand his concerns. I do think it's a bit unfair to your teammates, but they probably understand too.

Sometimes I cling to that naive "love of the game" and "there is no I in Team" stuff. Maybe I'm living in the past, or maybe it was always this way and I just didn't know better.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
OMG! You just said minor bowls are pointless and you don't care if kids get more opportunity - but you don't really hate college football, you just like to get to determine who you think should get to play football.

I'd say you move on from your hatred of college kids and find something else to do.
Please, just stop. Do you realize how insane you look by typing this hyperbole?

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
i personally think skipping a bowl game and skipping out on your teammates is weak. it's a big character flaw, imo..........

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis

I was once a "college kid", so I am having a hard time with that part of your (old man) rant.

Second...wow. Just wow.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Sometimes I cling to that naive "love of the game" and "there is no I in Team" stuff. Maybe I'm living in the past, or maybe it was always this way and I just didn't know better.
I don't think it's wrong to necessarily feel that way. It's understandable that people would feel the whole "abandoning the team" thing, when they sign on to play in every game.

That being said, if Gundy thinks that things wouldn't be any different, if transfer rules were the same THEN as they are NOW, he is naive as all hell.

Feb 18, 2009
i personally think skipping a bowl game and skipping out on your teammates is weak. it's a big character flaw, imo..........
I hadn’t looked at it that way but I don’t think character plays in. They have to look out for themselves. I don’t like it anymore than you do but I get it.

If my son was on a team that was in a meaningless bowl, and he’s got a chance at a major deal, I might counsel him to sit out as well. But I’d certainly be torn.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Hey, does Jostate's bet still stand? Or do we include the bowl game results? We need video of him eating a bug. :koolaid:
@Birry knows this statement is about 3 years old now. Maybe I should have been more specific in the season. If we're trying to hold me to the letter of the contract by saying it still applies, I'm counting a shrimp as a bug.