Gundy’s comments today- the non sports parts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
Your excessive ignorance doesn't trump my right to be safe. Try to walk into a hospital or doctors office without wearing one and tell the doctors and nurses what you just spouted about masks not stopping the virus and see how fast you get your ass thrown out the door. I will continue to listen to health experts and not some moron who is more concerned about how his hair looks in the middle of a global health crisis.
You have no "right to be safe" as it pertains to contracting a virus. If and when this happens, you can kiss your civil liberties goodbye. This is just another popular ideology to try and advocate for your position.

Gundy was correct and reasonable but some can't handle it for one reason or another. The biggest obstacles to college football in 2020 is getting politicians, administrators and athletic directors to come to agreements on a plan that involves taking some risks in order to resume "normalcy" (new normal at least).

If it is decided that no risk can be taken then we're probably looking at no sports until spring 2021 at the earliest. If that happens I'd suggest we move the speed limit on all roads to 5 mph going forward - just to avoid the risk of an automobile fatality.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I have a friend that's a coach for an SEC program (not football) but he said the talk was to bring the players in 2 weeks before practice would begin so they could quarantine. June 1st was the day he was saying they would return. I'm as ready as most to get things going again and feel like we're talking about a group that has everything controlled for them from meals to sleep to their own medical staff and we're arguing like they are a bunch of wildlings running around uncontrolled. I would say an 18-25 year old athlete in a full conditioning program is probably among the lowest risk for having ill effects from the virus but I'm not a medical professional.

I am 100% for getting things going but something we don't think about is that CV-19 affects the lungs and while these kids are in great shape and may be completely asymptomatic - running stadium steps in 95 degree heat puts stress on the best athletes lungs, so if they are in the least bit compromised and not know it could be dangerous.
That's why they would quarantine and test. There would have to be exposure to get the virus.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Your excessive ignorance doesn't trump my right to be safe. Try to walk into a hospital or doctors office without wearing one and tell the doctors and nurses what you just spouted about masks not stopping the virus and see how fast you get your ass thrown out the door. I will continue to listen to health experts and not some moron who is more concerned about how his hair looks in the middle of a global health crisis.
Buy yourself a military surplus gas mask and disposable paper gowns to go out in public, problem solved. It will stop any virus from getting in.

The constitution protects everyone's rights, you are responsible for your personal safety not everyone else.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Jostate said:
So far there have been 48 deaths in the US for people between 15 - 24 years old. In the over 75 age group there have been about 25,800.

Look at 60 and over and it's over 75% of all deaths. I would venture to guess, many of them infected by that indestructible 15-24 year old age group. Go ahead and fill the beaches and have your parties but stay the hell away from me. I see you non-mask wearing idiots everywhere I go and I have to avoid you at every turn. I have a god-given right to live too you selfish, feffin assholes! Mayor Bynum of Tulsa said it right, and I paraphrase, 'It's not bravery to not wear a mask, it's ignorant, selfish and you are basically telling everyone that you don't give a damn about anyone but yourself."
You better be more upset about your own self if your belly is sticking out from being overweight and have been too damned lazy to keep in shape by regular exercise.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
That over 75 figure looks low considering nearly 80,000 deaths overall.
I think my numbers were a little out dated but they came from worldometer. Although both numbers could probably be higher if current the ratio is still the point.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You better be more upset about your own self if your belly is sticking out from being overweight and have been too damned lazy to keep in shape by regular exercise.
And just like that I found myself with an eating disorder.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
I just wonder if any of those of you on here who feel your rights and freedoms are being taken from you by being asked to wear a simple mask have considered that the majority of those dying, fought to protect those rights and freedoms, and yet you won't wear a simple mask to help protect them. If some of you would actually take the time to listen to what real medical people (not football coaches) are saying and understand that wearing the mask is not to force you to protect yourself but to help protect others. It's mind boggling how so many can confuse compassion for others as a threat to their rights and freedoms. Your freedoms are not being challenged but your ability to comprehend right from righteousness is. You guys can still be tough, rugged, individualists. Wear a skull and crossbone or Hell's Angel's symbol, just put something over your face for the sake of others. This simple courtesy will help the small businesses stay open. They can't afford to keep getting sick.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I just wonder if any of those of you on here who feel your rights and freedoms are being taken from you by being asked to wear a simple mask have considered that the majority of those dying, fought to protect those rights and freedoms, and yet you won't wear a simple mask to help protect them. If some of you would actually take the time to listen to what real medical people (not football coaches) are saying and understand that wearing the mask is not to force you to protect yourself but to help protect others. It's mind boggling how so many can confuse compassion for others as a threat to their rights and freedoms. Your freedoms are not being challenged but your ability to comprehend right from righteousness is. You guys can still be tough, rugged, individualists. Wear a skull and crossbone or Hell's Angel's symbol, just put something over your face for the sake of others. This simple courtesy will help the small businesses stay open. They can't afford to keep getting sick.
What’s disturbing is it seems the refusal for some to wear a mask is more about the affirmation of their political beliefs than a justifiable reason why they SHOULDN’T wear a mask.

If some of you don’t think it offers the wearer any protection, why not put your massive intelligence to work and wear a well fitting, well filtered mask that will protect others from you in the event you’re asymptomatic? Seems like a respectful well reasoned approach for anyone concerned about both the economic and physical well being of our society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2006
I live in a state where I can legally drive with .07% BAC. I can smoke a pack of cigarettes in many public places. I can drive 70 mph with nothing but a white line dividing me from others and I can drive across that line if I so choose. I can buy a pistol in <30 minutes. Why am I allowed to have certain liberties that CAN put others at risk but not choose to walk in a store and buy a loaf of bread without a mask over my face? Somewhere along the line we've decided we're willing to accept some common risks, but somewhere along the way we decided this is different. How so?

Please show me the evidence where wearing masks is preventing COVID-19. In early March the surgeon general tweeted that wearing a mask would not help. Fast forward 6 weeks and it's recommended. What empirical evidence has triggered the change?

Some say "Well it can't hurt anything!' . Neither would wearing a biohazard suit - but I'm not doing that. It also wouldn't hurt during flu season but noone insists on that - ~40 to 80k people die annually from the flu .

A considerable number of people wearing masks aren't even wearing them correctly or are wearing things that provide little benefit - but I'm guessing their effort still satisfies your preferences so they get a pass for being a true compassionate citizen.

The CDC, WHO and NIAID have been underwhelming and inconsistent so forgive me if I disregard their recommendations.

We've tested the most severely impacted demographic due to limitations on testing- so (most likely based on new studies) the infected rate is too low, recovery rate is too low and death rate is too high. We have a skewed dataset that doesn't tell us much right now. When you hear that there are x new cases, it's useless because the testing practices are completely different vs 8 weeks ago - so the spread of the virus could be slowing but you don't have any controls in the data to tell you.

I will think for myself and make my decisions accordingly.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
What’s disturbing is it seems the refusal for some to wear a mask is more about the affirmation of their political beliefs than a justifiable reason why they SHOULDN’T wear a mask.

If some of you don’t think it offers the wearer any protection, why not put your massive intelligence to work and wear a well fitting, well filtered mask that will protect others from you in the event you’re asymptomatic? Seems like a respectful well reasoned approach for anyone concerned about both the economic and physical well being of our society.

Masks really worked well in Wuhan

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Masks really worked well in Wuhan
I've yet to have one of you answer the question, why do doctors and nurses require you to wear a mask if you have a cough even in times of no pandemic. I know they are just "so called medical people." You people obviously know better, so enlighten us as to why the entire medical profession around the world follows this protocol. I'm going to venture a guess that it's to keep from spreading your germs to others but I will wait for the definitive word from our local collective of Orange Power experts.

I'll tease you with the first comeback: I don't have a cough, I rarely sneeze and don't talk to many people so I don't need one.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I've yet to have one of you answer the question, why do doctors and nurses require you to wear a mask if you have a cough even in times of no pandemic. I know they are just "so called medical people." You people obviously know better, so enlighten us as to why the entire medical profession around the world follows this protocol. I'm going to venture a guess that it's to keep from spreading your germs to others but I will wait for the definitive word from our local collective of Orange Power experts.

I'll tease you with the first comeback: I don't have a cough, I rarely sneeze and don't talk to many people so I don't need one.
So any mask works? Thats generic. That's kind of like Carol Baskin using her house cat to dispose of a husband, its a cat but it ain't getting the job done.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I live in a state where I can legally drive with .07% BAC. I can smoke a pack of cigarettes in many public places. I can drive 70 mph with nothing but a white line dividing me from others and I can drive across that line if I so choose. I can buy a pistol in
Please show me the evidence where wearing masks is preventing COVID-19. In early March the surgeon general tweeted that wearing a mask would not help. Fast forward 6 weeks and it's recommended. What empirical evidence has triggered the change?

Some say "Well it can't hurt anything!' . Neither would wearing a biohazard suit - but I'm not doing that. It also wouldn't hurt during flu season but noone insists on that - ~40 to 80k people die annually from the flu .

A considerable number of people wearing masks aren't even wearing them correctly or are wearing things that provide little benefit - but I'm guessing their effort still satisfies your preferences so they get a pass for being a true compassionate citizen.

The CDC, WHO and NIAID have been underwhelming and inconsistent so forgive me if I disregard their recommendations.

We've tested the most severely impacted demographic due to limitations on testing- so (most likely based on new studies) the infected rate is too low, recovery rate is too low and death rate is too high. We have a skewed dataset that doesn't tell us much right now. When you hear that there are x new cases, it's useless because the testing practices are completely different vs 8 weeks ago - so the spread of the virus could be slowing but you don't have any controls in the data to tell you.

I will think for myself and make my decisions accordingly.
Yep, it’s all about you.

Apr 7, 2006

I'm not certain I've ever seen this "requirement" enforced in the past. I've certainly been in waiting rooms at doctors offices and had others in the waiting room coughing without a mask - not sure where this has been enforced. I've only seen it in surgical prep and ICU.

Either way, I'll play along. You're in a medical facility around a mixture of sick people and healthy people in close quarters and medical treatment which involves higher risk of infection. You're "required to wear a mask" to keep your cough from affecting others. And clearly if youre coughing youre fighting some type of illness. Again- I've never seen this enforced outside of surgical prep and ICU and I've definitely never been asked to wear a mask if I might sneeze.

If you want me to wear a mask while I'm coughing I'd oblige. Seems reasonable.