Gundy’s comments today

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Hey, how about this? Why not allow the fans to leave at halftime and then return to increase social distancing? Of course, silly me, we can't do that because we sell beer in the stadium and that might cost some concession money from the confinement lease
I'm betting everything is on the table now just to have a season...but you go ahead and dwell on past issues if it makes you feel good.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
All of this is great, but it also assumes that universities will even open up to STUDENTS in August. No STUDENTS, no games, end of story. Some schools have already gone to online only this summer, & now some are looking at that extending through the fall semester.

And again, since this applied to the BB tourney: you can't have no fans, but ask players, officials, etc... to be there. Similarly, you can't tell all the football players to show up & get ready to play in front of nobody because that wouldn't be safe. Think about the optics of asking parents to send their kid to Stillwater, or wherever, under a scenario like that.
At some point in time, what Gundy dared to point out, is true. There is a lot of money to be made on college football. States can go broke just like individuals or corporations can.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
At some point in time, what Gundy dared to point out, is true. There is a lot of money to be made on college football. States can go broke just like individuals or corporations can.
Very true, & it's already happening in cities.

I think we've been so focused on upcoming deadlines, though, that not a lot of us have thought about schools not even having students this fall. I hope to god that's not the case, but the 2nd wave possibility & students descending on college towns from all over the country & world is something that leaders in a college town like Stillwater are looking at.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”
"Yasui v. United States, 320 U.S. 115 (1943), was a United States Supreme Court case regarding the constitutionality of curfews used during World War II when they were applied to citizens of the United States. ... In their decision, the Supreme Court held that the application of curfews against citizens is constitutional."

Trump keeps saying he is a wartime president, so... :whistle:

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Dude, I'm talking about football @Oklahoma[State University...not about the peak infections in Oklahoma...these two are separate things except for with extreemist.

The people will only abide so long...AND that doesn't mean we are "idiots."..Actually many of us would say that those that obey government restrictions, indefinitely, over their own AND their neighbors, interest without questioning might actually be the "idiots." NO ONE is telling people to be unsafe, we are just questioning the reasoning of the continuing this into summer, where virus, nearly 100% of the time, go to die.

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”
My bad dude. I thought Oklahoma State Football was in Oklahoma. Thank goodness for the football team that they are separate from the peak infections. If it wasn't for those "extreemist" medical professionals we could be watching baseball and softball right now all crowded together because it's warmer and we all know that viruses die out in warm weather. Just ask New Orleans. Be patient Dude, keep your pitchforks in the barn.You simply cannot start football up in Oklahoma if you can't start it up everywhere. Try to see the big picture and what is good for all of college football and not just a bunch of Okies who will only "abide" for so long.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My bad dude. I thought Oklahoma State Football was in Oklahoma. Thank goodness for the football team that they are separate from the peak infections. If it wasn't for those "extreemist" medical professionals we could be watching baseball and softball right now all crowded together because it's warmer and we all know that viruses die out in warm weather. Just ask New Orleans. Be patient Dude, keep your pitchforks in the barn.You simply cannot start football up in Oklahoma if you can't start it up everywhere. Try to see the big picture and what is good for all of college football and not just a bunch of Okies who will only "abide" for so long.
Can you honestly say that we have a bad case of covid-19 in Oklahoma? Not to equate the two, but how does it compare to a normal flu season in terms of infection and death. Certainly our social distancing has an effect. I don't have a pitchfork out yet, but I won't keep it in the barn when/if they continue to restrict the freedoms of the citizenry too long with disastrous results on lives and economy...just as yours should not. It never hurts to sharpen the points on that puppy.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Can you honestly say that we have a bad case of covid-19 in Oklahoma? Not to equate the two, but how does it compare to a normal flu season in terms of infection and death. Certainly our social distancing has an effect. I don't have a pitchfork out yet, but I won't keep it in the barn when/if they continue to restrict the freedoms of the citizenry too long with disastrous results on lives and economy...just as yours should not. It never hurts to sharpen the points on that puppy.
Your first statement is what continues to baffle me. Do you think the NCAA is going to allow OSU and OU to bring players in and start training if the rest of the country can't? You are correct that Oklahoma has a smaller infection rate it but it only takes a few to ignite a hotspot. College football is much bigger that our little state and I'm sure they don't care how sharp our pitchforks are. They simply are not going to allow states with fewer cases to jump start their training. That's what frustrated me about Gundy's presser. He is so used to being the big fish in a small pond that he can't even fathom an ocean out there. Breaking down the gates so OSU can practice is not going to change the timeline for when football starts up again. Accept it and deal with it. If it's earlier then great, if it's later then so be it.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
Since you asked for a comparison...
Rough Comparison of Flu to Covid for people that contract. This is my memory from a couple reports and numbers vary by report.
Flu: death rates <0.1%, hospital rate 2-3%, length of hospital stay 2-3 days. Average person infects 1.3 other people.
Covid: death rate 3%, hospital rate 11-19%, length of stay in hospital >12 days (11 days on ventilator, 10 in ICU). Average person infects up to 2.5 people.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Since you asked for a comparison...
Rough Comparison of Flu to Covid for people that contract. This is my memory from a couple reports and numbers vary by report.
Flu: death rates <0.1%, hospital rate 2-3%, length of hospital stay 2-3 days. Average person infects 1.3 other people.
Covid: death rate 3%, hospital rate 11-19%, length of stay in hospital >12 days (11 days on ventilator, 10 in ICU). Average person infects up to 2.5 people.
https://twitter.com/tiffanyalaniz/status/1247297491550298113?s=21

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
I live in the DFW area and today I was flipping through the sports radio channels and came across a conversation taking place on the ESPN Dennis and Cowlishaw show. I tuned in for a few minutes because they were discussing Gundy’s comments. They basically thought his apology was disingenuous and noted that Gundy is low on the intelligence scale. I thought that seemed harsh and out of line. But then they went on to talk about how Grundy makes 4 million a year or so, wins 7-9 games a year and is still beloved by OSU fans. I thought that take was interesting. It always seems to me like he is well respected outside of the program but maybe not.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I live in the DFW area and today I was flipping through the sports radio channels and came across a conversation taking place on the ESPN Dennis and Cowlishaw show. I tuned in for a few minutes because they were discussing Gundy’s comments. They basically thought his apology was disingenuous and noted that Gundy is low on the intelligence scale. I thought that seemed harsh and out of line. But then they went on to talk about how Grundy makes 4 million a year or so, wins 7-9 games a year and is still beloved by OSU fans. I thought that take was interesting. It always seems to me like he is well respected outside of the program but maybe not.
Always remember that some sports media still haven't "forgiven" him for the "i'm a man, I'm 40" rant.