Gundy’s comments today

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
It will be interesting to see how Oklahoma State navigates this financially if football is cancelled. Football generated $52 million in revenue for the 2019 fiscal year. We would save a couple million by eliminating bowl expenses, but there would still be a $50 million hole in our budget.

Would we try to cut programs to lower our expenses? Would we simply finance this debt in the coming years like the GIA expansion? There's no doubt that athletic directors are going to be facing a lot of tough decisions if football can't be played.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It will be interesting to see how Oklahoma State navigates this financially if football is cancelled. Football generated $52 million in revenue for the 2019 fiscal year. We would save a couple million by eliminating bowl expenses, but there would still be a $50 million hole in our budget.

Would we try to cut programs to lower our expenses? Would we simply finance this debt over in the coming years like the GIA expansion? There's no doubt that athletic directors are going to be facing a lot of tough decisions if football can't be played.
I can't see us being so stupid and gripped in fear as to cancel football unless this was to take a far deadlier turn that it has to this point. This has been a very interesting time in our Nation but we, as American's, at some point may have to rise up and shoot Big Brother the collective Bird...kind of like Michigan did yesterday. IF we continue to see things with Covid-19 vastly improve as they appear to be, AND the government doesn't allow a free people to go on with their lives in a cautious way...Then I'd say this gets kind of ugly (in terms of numbers of protest) fairly quick.

It's a good sign that Oklahoma is allowing routine surgery starting the 24th of this month.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Would we try to cut programs to lower our expenses? Would we simply finance this debt over in the coming years like the GIA expansion? There's no doubt that athletic directors are going to be facing a lot of tough decisions if football can't be played.
Good points.

I could see this really, really crippling a school like TU. They've already eliminated some degree programs on the academic side, & they're one of the huge number of athletic programs who don't turn a profit.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I can't see us being so stupid and gripped in fear as to cancel football unless this was to take a far deadlier turn that it has to this point. This has been a very interesting time in our Nation but we, as American's, at some point may have to rise up and shoot Big Brother the collective Bird...kind of like Michigan did yesterday. IF we continue to see things with Covid-19 vastly improve as they appear to be, AND the government doesn't allow a free people to go on with their lives in a cautious way...Then I'd say this gets kind of ugly (in terms of numbers of protest) fairly quick.

It's a good sign that Oklahoma is allowing routine surgery starting the 24th of this month.
Where it gets sticky, though, is if California or other places have measures in place still that don't allow for games.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Oh wise one, what are the risk for people in their teens and 20's to die, or be hospitalized by Covid-19?
Also, while you are at it, what are the risk for people in their teens and 20's dying in auto accidents?
Every time you walk out your door you take a risk...everything we do involves the risk of dying. How much do you allow it to control your life is your choice (at least it used to be)...when the government starts forcing certain choices due to unfounded fear, then we have issues. Despite the media driven fantasy that this is the plague, it's not, and the cure may indeed be worse than the problem.

What Gundy suggested was completely in line with protecting the people in his charge. He said we would test, we would isolate, we would do everything in our power to protect the young men. Once again, what's the rate of hospitalization and death in people in their 20's??...honestly I don't know, but I suspect that it's so low that the guys would be at FAR grater risk to have other things happening to them to cause death while in Stillwater than Covid-19 even if they didn't screen them.
A car accident isn’t contagious, doesn’t put medical staff at risk of death, and doesn’t overwhelm the medical system to a point that doctors can’t treat other car accidents and simply leave patients to die.
https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/comparing-coronavirus-car-accidents-very-bad-idea-n1167626

Also, the tweet I posted with the story of the young man in Tulsa that died? He was 22. This is deadly, even for young people. Let alone, they can be symptomatic carriers who put the rest of the population at risk.

My neighbor is a nurse and her husband moved in with their daughter so she wouldn’t potentially infect him. Ever hear of people doing that because of the flu (or a car wreck)?

I’m not advocating fear, but I will side with caution for now. I place my trust in God above all. On this topic specifically, I’m more trusting of scientists and medical staff than politicians, economists, and coaches. But feel free to listen to whomever you want.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
"Once again, what's the rate of hospitalization and death in people in their 20's??...honestly I don't know, but I suspect that it's so low that the guys would be at FAR grater risk to have other things happening to them to cause death while in Stillwater than Covid-19 even if they didn't screen them."

The profound ignorance of this statement is mind boggling. How many times do you have be taught that this disease is transmitted to others and while your concern seems to be solely with people in their 20's, most of us passed that milestone many years ago. Those non 20's folks are not getting infected on the football field. We are getting infected in places we still have to go in order to survive and I would venture to guess we are getting infected by those 20 year olds who think because they aren't at great risk that they can expose others. The physical trait that may be protecting them (their age) is the same thing that is killing others. (Youthful ignorance).

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Where it gets sticky, though, is if California or other places have measures in place still that don't allow for games.
Hopefully the good people of California won't allow this when it's not really a public health issue compared to other issues in scope. If it's political, people will see that and if number padding starts to increase, I believe people will report that as well...

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
"Once again, what's the rate of hospitalization and death in people in their 20's??...honestly I don't know, but I suspect that it's so low that the guys would be at FAR grater risk to have other things happening to them to cause death while in Stillwater than Covid-19 even if they didn't screen them."

The profound ignorance of this statement is mind boggling. How many times do you have be taught that this disease is transmitted to others and while your concern seems to be solely with people in their 20's, most of us passed that milestone many years ago. Those non 20's folks are not getting infected on the football field. We are getting infected in places we still have to go in order to survive and I would venture to guess we are getting infected by those 20 year olds who think because they aren't at great risk that they can expose others. The physical trait that may be protecting them (their age) is the same thing that is killing others. (Youthful ignorance).

So you are seemingly more interested in throwing out insults than you are actually answering the question you were asked. IF people are going to eventually get infected and flattening the curve was designed to drag that out, when does that end and we go on with our lives and inevitably infect others? Are you suggesting that we can never get on with our lives due to the tiny risk that others might be infected in the summer when viruses go to die...AND even as we practice safety, isolation, and testing we still can't get on with our lives? Gundy said he was going to test weekly, and isolate and quarantine as needed...You claim that's ignorant when actually that suggest staying on top of the issue in a quite substantial way. What's your real motivation here? Don't you want the economy to re-start...OR do you have a political motivation to be negative and attempt to foster more fear?

Btw, you can stop calling me ignorant...it's an old superiority tactic and it's not helping with your fear tactics.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
A car accident isn’t contagious, doesn’t put medical staff at risk of death, and doesn’t overwhelm the medical system to a point that doctors can’t treat other car accidents and simply leave patients to die.
https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/comparing-coronavirus-car-accidents-very-bad-idea-n1167626

Also, the tweet I posted with the story of the young man in Tulsa that died? He was 22. This is deadly, even for young people. Let alone, they can be symptomatic carriers who put the rest of the population at risk.

My neighbor is a nurse and her husband moved in with their daughter so she wouldn’t potentially infect him. Ever hear of people doing that because of the flu (or a car wreck)?

I’m not advocating fear, but I will side with caution for now. I place my trust in God above all. On this topic specifically, I’m more trusting of scientists and medical staff than politicians, economists, and coaches. But feel free to listen to whomever you want.
Dude the medical system hasn't been overwhelmed...to the contrary, it's been underwhelmed to the point of 600 layoffs where I work...Thank God that our Governor knows this and is restarting elective procedures in 9 days!

I also place my trust in God with my very life and after life. Placing ones trust in God means that we don't live in a constant state of worry...sure we take precautions and obey the law, but we don't live in fear.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that the 22 year old in Tulsa was the only death in Oklahoma of anyone younger than 54 from this virus. Certainly we want to attempt to protect everyone...but people do die of things besides just this virus. A balance has to be struck...it's inevitable.

Mar 11, 2006
Here's another difference. I have a close family member who is immunocompromized, a young otherwise healthy mother of 3 young kids. She probably got a flu last fall, but there is no coronavirus vaccine. I am not willing to put her and millions others like her at unknown risk so we can have football. Risk is not unavoidable, and maybe by the fall we will have treatments and/or more data to help us understand the risk better.
This is going to sound harsh, but you need to have your family member stay at home. Even without COVID, there are people that need to take precaution for themselves. I have not heard anyone say that immunocompromized people should venture out. My father has two forms of cancer and has a pacemamker. He needs to take extreme care and caution.

But, we need to reopen the economy. We now have a lot of data with the virus. Simply put, people younger than 50 that are healthy do not have much risk long-term hospitalization. There is actually a major advantage for your family member. If more people, who are healthy, get exposed to the virus while your family member continues to stay-at-Home, it will provide a much safer environment for your family member in the fall/winter when there is a possibility of a 2nd wave.

For those of you that are posting that are fearful, I get it if you are older than me (I am 50) or have pre-existing conditions. If you fall into those categories, you should continue staying at home. But for everyone else, the majority, I urge you to read the data on the virus. People certainly still need to practice common sense and distancing when possible. But you should not live in fear and feel comfortable going to a restaurant or going to a friends house for drinks. I am very hopeful that almost all non-essential businesses will be allowed to return in Oklahoma on May 1st.
I for one, will have my entire family at our opening football game in August.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I get where you're coming from, but I do think it's of value to hear from them all, given the fact that this involves all of those aspects of all of our lives. We're never getting to zero new cases & we know this, so given that, we have to move forward here at some point & I think we're beginning to see that process start.

I keep hearing the "I'll listen to the scientists!" line, but honestly, do you think blindly following science is the way to go here? I don't. Sure, the measures taken have helped mitigate the spread, but good lord, how far off do the models have to be for some people to wonder about them & their accuracy? I mean, they're not even in the ballpark thus far. I'm not saying they have no idea what they're talking about, or that this thing is a hoax, or anything like that, btw.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
It's harder to see the direct cause and effect, or quantify it, but I suspect you're right.
Doesn't the country have programs to help people that lose their jobs? Wasn't a program passed to allow missed mortgage payments for people in that situation (or was that just somethingtalked about)? Isn't money something you can help people with?
just a thought.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I get where you're coming from, but I do think it's of value to hear from them all, given the fact that this involves all of those aspects of all of our lives. We're never getting to zero new cases & we know this, so given that, we have to move forward here at some point & I think we're beginning to see that process start.

I keep hearing the "I'll listen to the scientists!" line, but honestly, do you think blindly following science is the way to go here? I don't. Sure, the measures taken have helped mitigate the spread, but good lord, how far off do the models have to be for some people to wonder about them & their accuracy? I mean, they're not even in the ballpark thus far. I'm not saying they have no idea what they're talking about, or that this thing is a hoax, or anything like that, btw.
I hear you. To clarify, I never said I wasn’t listening to them all. I just trust the scientists and medical staff more. I agree that we need to get the economy back to work, but we also need more testing in place to do it safely.

Edit: I’ll add that I read a lot of different news sources, including Fox News online (which is more balanced than their cable TV network). I attempt to get multiple angles on a story before deciding what to believe. I think it’s good for all of us to avoid living in an echo chamber.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
Dude the medical system hasn't been overwhelmed...to the contrary, it's been underwhelmed to the point of 600 layoffs where I work...Thank God that our Governor knows this and is restarting elective procedures in 9 days!.
That is location dependent like every aspect of this. Yes lots of urgent cares and small offices are closing because no one is going in for small issues, elective procedures are being delayed. Major hospitals in some places are overwhelmed.

Models aren't ever going to be correct. There is a phrase we have at work. "Every model is wrong some are helpful." These are used to determine a range of effects based on no changes... we have been making changes so they should be much higher than actual.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Doesn't the country have programs to help people that lose their jobs? Wasn't a program passed to allow missed mortgage payments for people in that situation (or was that just somethingtalked about)? Isn't money something you can help people with?
just a thought.
$1200 per taxpayer doesn’t go very far. Mortgage deferrals have to be paid in 90 days, so I’d be careful with that. A 2k mortgage turns into a $6k payment due in July. Yes, these things help, but people are still going to struggle financially.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
$1200 per taxpayer doesn’t go very far. Mortgage deferrals have to be paid in 90 days, so I’d be careful with that. A 2k mortgage turns into a $6k payment due in July. Yes, these things help, but people are still going to struggle financially.
Yeah, I just laughed when they told me that on the phone. Told them, "well, do you really think that actually helps anyone?" The poor lady I was talking to just sounded completely worn out & just said "I know."

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Yeah, I just laughed when they told me that on the phone. Told them, "well, do you really think that actually helps anyone?" The poor lady I was talking to just sounded completely worn out & just said "I know."
It does help some folks who are temporarily furloughed. But they better be disciplined to make it up. We lost contract work and my wife got furloughed. We were approved for mortgage deferral, but are still making our payments. It felt like too big of a risk for us.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It does help some folks who are temporarily furloughed. But they better be disciplined to make it up. We lost contract work and my wife got furloughed. We were approved for mortgage deferral, but are still making our payments. It felt like too big s as risk for us.
I'm still working in healthcare, but the wife's been furloughed for over a month now, so I just thought I'd look into it. I'd heard that some were deferring to the end of your mortgage term & tacking it on the end, but no dice for us, so we're making the payments.

We've decided we're going to use this opportunity to budget better & work toward being able to live off of just my income.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I'm still working in healthcare, but the wife's been furloughed for over a month now, so I just thought I'd look into it. I'd heard that some were deferring to the end of your mortgage term & tacking it on the end, but no dice for us, so we're making the payments.

We've decided we're going to use this opportunity to budget better & work toward being able to live off of just my income.
Similar here. We’re also grateful to have done Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace class. He advocates having 3-6 months of living expenses set aside for an emergency fund. We cut our living expenses and think we can make it 6-7 months if our income stays like this. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That is location dependent like every aspect of this. Yes lots of urgent cares and small offices are closing because no one is going in for small issues, elective procedures are being delayed. Major hospitals in some places are overwhelmed.

Models aren't ever going to be correct. There is a phrase we have at work. "Every model is wrong some are helpful." These are used to determine a range of effects based on no changes... we have been making changes so they should be much higher than actual.
The only location in the USA that was even close to overwhelmed was grater NYC and they haven't used the excess hospital beds that were created for them. I'm not saying we shouldn't have done this, but it can be argued that we may have went overboard by painting need with a semi broad brush. You are right, NYC and OKC just aren't the same...we should never treat them that way.