Heart of a nurse, brain of a doctor thread

  • You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
9,226
4,078
743
50
#61
Difference between being against vaccines and being against MANDATORY vaccines. I personally think they are grouping together and giving too many at a time to children now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That's just complete bullshit.

Vaccines don't make people sick long term. There are no long term side effects of vaccinating children against infectious diseases. Period.

If you want to work in health care you need to be vaccinated against Flu and hepatitis at the very least, and if you don't want to do that then you don't need to be working in health care. There are lots of jobs at the local mall, and fast food is always hiring.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2810172/



edit - and I'm sorry if that comes across as crass and harsh, but making even a little room for an excuse here is just asking for a world of trouble. Either get the fukin' shot, or find a different job. Period.
Oh I don't mind kids getting shots, but I think they should be more spread out. And the flu vaccine is a joke. As has been the case lately, they missed the 2 strains that are wreaking havoc again. Tell me what good is that flu shot? Why still push it, if not for the hospitals and clinics that already bought it to get their money back from insurance.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
 

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
17,324
31,639
1,743
In Pokey's head
#62
Oh I don't mind kids getting shots, but I think they should be more spread out. And the flu vaccine is a joke. As has been the case lately, they missed the 2 strains that are wreaking havoc again. Tell me what good is that flu shot? Why still push it, if not for the hospitals and clinics that already bought it to get their money back from insurance.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Better to miss 50% than 100%.. While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

At my age, I lose 2-4 contemporaries every year to the flu.
 
Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
8,841
7,088
1,743
Piedmont, OK
#63
Oh I don't mind kids getting shots, but I think they should be more spread out. And the flu vaccine is a joke. As has been the case lately, they missed the 2 strains that are wreaking havoc again. Tell me what good is that flu shot? Why still push it, if not for the hospitals and clinics that already bought it to get their money back from insurance.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Supposedly if you got the flu shot it was supposed to still help you get through it quicker if you caught it. Not sure if it's true or not, but my wife and I both got shots and got the flu which we were over after a couple days with meds. Our 4yo who didn't get the shot (we had full intention but just didn't get around to it for various reasons) caught the flu too and it took her a few more days than us to get better. Not sure how much of that is just because of our age and that we didn't have the EXACT same medicine, but that's my 1 sample point. lol.

I actually had a reaction to the flu shot this year too and got sick right after which caused me to miss homecoming and walk-around... :thumbdown:
 

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
9,226
4,078
743
50
#64
Oh I don't mind kids getting shots, but I think they should be more spread out. And the flu vaccine is a joke. As has been the case lately, they missed the 2 strains that are wreaking havoc again. Tell me what good is that flu shot? Why still push it, if not for the hospitals and clinics that already bought it to get their money back from insurance.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Better to miss 50% than 100%.. While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

At my age, I lose 2-4 contemporaries every year to the flu.
What do you mean 50? The 2 major strains that are going the most damage are not in the vaccine. They have a chance of getting majorly sick and/or dying even if they get the shot because it's not effective. There is no 50%, they missed on both strains and have so several times in the past decade. It's a guessing game that they are missing on. I have a better chance of avoiding the flu drinking elderberry wine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
 

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
5,845
6,002
743
Wishing I was in Stillwater
#65
In my immediate family, 8 people who got the flu shot have gotten the flu this year. 7 getting Type A and yours truly getting Type A and Type B at the same time. Recovery time for everyone with Type A was two to three days but I was completely down for a solid week. I missed my first home wrestling dual since 2013. :mad: My new wrestling attendance streak has begun and currently stands at 1.:thumbup:
 

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
3,045
6,672
1,743
Kenosha, WI
#66
Based on instruction that we are supposed to protect little ones and their immune systems, but then they want you to give a ton of shots to them before even 1. I have a bunch of kids and I've seen the amount of shots go up and some of them weren't given as early before.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
How does the increase in shots not protect them? Is there any evidence whatsoever that the increase in vaccines has negatively affected infant/toddler health?
 

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
73,613
51,746
1,743
Wishing I was in Stillwater
#67
Based on instruction that we are supposed to protect little ones and their immune systems, but then they want you to give a ton of shots to them before even 1. I have a bunch of kids and I've seen the amount of shots go up and some of them weren't given as early before.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I understand where you're coming from, really I do. As a pharmacist I would never ever tell a parent that they're wrong to be unconcerned with adverse effects for things we're giving their children. But there's a side of the picture that people don't consider and they must, and that is that we're preventing deadly diseases. Whooping cough kills, measles kill. During a pre-vaccine measles outbreak in Russia as many as 1 in 7 children died... entire families were wiped out. Flu kills, and many people in the hospital are high risk. Children are at high risk from the flu. Check the graphics below:
vaccines before and after.jpg


vaccines-and-autism-89a95934a2e5e6433d229e2f44ee4b8f.png
 
Jul 25, 2018
2,668
741
243
49
Boulder, CO
#68
What do you mean 50? The 2 major strains that are going the most damage are not in the vaccine. They have a chance of getting majorly sick and/or dying even if they get the shot because it's not effective. There is no 50%, they missed on both strains and have so several times in the past decade. It's a guessing game that they are missing on. I have a better chance of avoiding the flu drinking elderberry wine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Well, Rx, can weigh in on this & explain it far better than me, but they're not just drawing strains out of a hat each year & saying "yep, we're going with this one this year!
 

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
28,444
32,975
1,743
oklahoma city
#69
What do you mean 50? The 2 major strains that are going the most damage are not in the vaccine. They have a chance of getting majorly sick and/or dying even if they get the shot because it's not effective. There is no 50%, they missed on both strains and have so several times in the past decade. It's a guessing game that they are missing on. I have a better chance of avoiding the flu drinking elderberry wine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
https://www.kwch.com/content/news/2020-flu-vaccine-not-a-match-for-main-strain-566978441.html

Posted: Tue 1:21 PM, Jan 14, 2020

(CNN) There's more bad news about the flu. Apparently, the main strain of flu that's circulating doesn't exactly match what's in this year's flu shot.

Doctor Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases says children are particularly susceptible to Influenza B/Victoria and that this year's flu vaccine isn't a very good match for it.

Fauci says even though it's not a good match for B/Victoria -- a flu shot can still save a child's life.

According to CDC data released last week, if your child is exposed to B/Victoria, there's a 58-percent chance that their flu shot will be well matched to protect against it.

Fauci says the vaccine is, however, a "really good match" for the H1N1 strain.

He's spearheading an effort to develop a universal flu vaccine that would theoretically cover every strain of the flu over multiple flu seasons.

The CDC reports that 32 children have died from the flu this season.
 

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
8,396
8,628
1,743
#70
I understand where you're coming from, really I do. As a pharmacist I would never ever tell a parent that they're wrong to be unconcerned with adverse effects for things we're giving their children. But there's a side of the picture that people don't consider and they must, and that is that we're preventing deadly diseases. Whooping cough kills, measles kill. During a pre-vaccine measles outbreak in Russia as many as 1 in 7 children died... entire families were wiped out. Flu kills, and many people in the hospital are high risk. Children are at high risk from the flu. Check the graphics below:
View attachment 76735

View attachment 76736
The newest from the anti-vaxxers in my family: "Too many of the vaccines today are made with aborted fetus cells! I'm not putting cells from an aborted baby in my baby." And when I try to explain... "I can't believe you support abortion!"

:facepalm:



While there's a possibility that the very initial cell line came from a fetus back in like 1974, they aren't killing babies to make vaccines. It's the same cell line, thawed, and used to bank more cells... over and over and over and over. They refuse to understand basic biology and I gave up trying to explain it to them years ago.
 

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
28,444
32,975
1,743
oklahoma city
#71
The newest from the anti-vaxxers in my family: "Too many of the vaccines today are made with aborted fetus cells! I'm not putting cells from an aborted baby in my baby." And when I try to explain... "I can't believe you support abortion!"

:facepalm:



While there's a possibility that the very initial cell line came from a fetus back in like 1974, they aren't killing babies to make vaccines. It's the same cell line, thawed, and used to bank more cells... over and over and over and over. They refuse to understand basic biology and I gave up trying to explain it to them years ago.
What you are saying is, VACCINES ARE FROM THE BABIES OF ABORTED BABIES!!!!!!!!!!
 

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
73,613
51,746
1,743
Wishing I was in Stillwater
#74
The newest from the anti-vaxxers in my family: "Too many of the vaccines today are made with aborted fetus cells! I'm not putting cells from an aborted baby in my baby." And when I try to explain... "I can't believe you support abortion!"

:facepalm:



While there's a possibility that the very initial cell line came from a fetus back in like 1974, they aren't killing babies to make vaccines. It's the same cell line, thawed, and used to bank more cells... over and over and over and over. They refuse to understand basic biology and I gave up trying to explain it to them years ago.
There is a more than even chance those cells are actually Hela.
 
Feb 11, 2007
4,322
1,955
1,743
Oklahoma City
#75
The easily available and use of immunizations is one of medicines great success stories. Virtually all professionals ( physicians and pharmacologists ) I know recommend that every person know and follow
CDC immunization recommendations. These recommendations tailored to each individuals past medical history are easily available online.
 

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
7,357
6,973
1,743
Limbo
#76
The easily available and use of immunizations is one of medicines great success stories. Virtually all professionals ( physicians and pharmacologists ) I know recommend that every person know and follow
CDC immunization recommendations. These recommendations tailored to each individuals past medical history are easily available online.

From the article I linked above - " Vaccination is credited with preventing more illness and death over the past hundred years than any other medical advance".1
 
Feb 11, 2007
4,322
1,955
1,743
Oklahoma City
#77
From the article I linked above - " Vaccination is credited with preventing more illness and death over the past hundred years than any other medical advance".1
The 1918 flu epidemic killed an estimate 50 to 100 million worldwide. If as widely predicted that we will have another major worldwide flu epidemic the numbers will be much larger.
 

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
73,613
51,746
1,743
Wishing I was in Stillwater
#78
According to CDC data released last week, if your child is exposed to B/Victoria, there's a 58-percent chance that their flu shot will be well matched to protect against it.
The question is, what does that "58% chance" mean? That is the likelihood that the vaccine will offer complete immunity against the B/Victoria strain. But that doesn't mean that there is a converse 42% that it won't offer any protection. There is a very wide range of immunity between the complete immunity and no immunity. Even times when the CDC/WHO miss on which strain is going to be prevalent in a year, the vaccine still offers some immunity from the virus. Which means, you might still get sick, but you're less likely to die from it. You generally don't get as sick as you would have if you were unvaccinated. And if you don't get as sick that also means that you aren't shedding as much virus in your droplets which makes you less likely to spread it among your family, friends, co-workers, etc.

Which brings me back to the nurses refusing to get vaccinated AND bitching about having to wear masks. That really pisses me off.

It was not a requirement back in the day, but when I was much younger working in a hospital IV room mixing antibiotics and other IV meds. I had a cold for a week or so and wore a mask while working in the IV room. The other pharmacists and techs asked me why. All IV room personnel wear masks now all the time.
 
Feb 11, 2007
4,322
1,955
1,743
Oklahoma City
#79
The question is, what does that "58% chance" mean? That is the likelihood that the vaccine will offer complete immunity against the B/Victoria strain. But that doesn't mean that there is a converse 42% that it won't offer any protection. There is a very wide range of immunity between the complete immunity and no immunity. Even times when the CDC/WHO miss on which strain is going to be prevalent in a year, the vaccine still offers some immunity from the virus. Which means, you might still get sick, but you're less likely to die from it. You generally don't get as sick as you would have if you were unvaccinated. And if you don't get as sick that also means that you aren't shedding as much virus in your droplets which makes you less likely to spread it among your family, friends, co-workers, etc.

Which brings me back to the nurses refusing to get vaccinated AND bitching about having to wear masks. That really pisses me off.

It was not a requirement back in the day, but when I was much younger working in a hospital IV room mixing antibiotics and other IV meds. I had a cold for a week or so and wore a mask while working in the IV room. The other pharmacists and techs asked me why. All IV room personnel wear masks now all the time.
In my opinion every hospital nurse should be required to be vaccinated without exception. The flu virus is highly contagious! No hospitalized patient should be exposed to the virus. Despite the common use of face masks, there is no scientific evidence I could find showing that masks are effective in preventing the transmission of the virus
 

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
73,613
51,746
1,743
Wishing I was in Stillwater
#80
In my opinion every hospital nurse should be required to be vaccinated without exception. The flu virus is highly contagious! No hospitalized patient should be exposed to the virus. Despite the common use of face masks, there is no scientific evidence I could find showing that masks are effective in preventing the transmission of the virus
How is the flu transmitted?