Holder wants recruiting to improve

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The latest from Mark Cooper...

Link
I'm guessing Holder and Gundy talked one on one, the way everyone always assumes they don't.

I sympathize with Holder to some extent. If I had his job I would probably often be surprised by the exaggerated reaction to benign comments I made.

Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
It's easy to see after all this backlash how people in Holder's position don't speak as candidly as he did on the podcast. Frankly I'm surprised something like this didn't get extrapolated from one of his applaud/critique/applaud sandwiches until now.

I doubt he'll be doing any more critique sandwiches in the future. Even if in context it's not as bad as it seems.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
It's easy to see after all this backlash how people in Holder's position don't speak as candidly as he did on the podcast. Frankly I'm surprised something like this didn't get extrapolated from one of his applaud/critique/applaud sandwiches until now.

I doubt he'll be doing any more critique sandwiches in the future. Even if in context it's not as bad as it seems.

Exactly. Now people see why lol. Hopefully OSU people now get that P.R. matters alot. What our coaches say and do also matters. Go Cowboys!

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

I hope you're right, but have my doubts. Holder has diarrhea of the mouth. He's the old guy who believes the stripes he's earned grant him the ability to say whatever he wants whenever he wants......

Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA

I hope you're right, but have my doubts. Holder has diarrhea of the mouth. He's the old guy who believes the stripes he's earned grant him the ability to say whatever he wants whenever he wants......
That's fine for your average old man, but if you're an old man in a position like his there are certain things you just can't/shouldn't say publicly.

Go Pokes!

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
That's fine for your average old man, but if you're an old man in a position like his there are certain things you just can't/shouldn't say publicly.

Go Pokes!
True. I have a bigger problem with the rest of the people in the world who are often overly sensitive and lack perspective. The problem is, the rest of the world is even slightly harder to change than Holder. So I guess Holder needs to make the adjustment.

Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA

Go Pokes!
True. I have a bigger problem with the rest of the people in the world who are often overly sensitive and lack perspective. The problem is, the rest of the world is even slightly harder to change than Holder. So I guess Holder needs to make the adjustment.
I don't think people who are ignorant to the entire dialogue would be as appalled if they heard it with their own ears, instead of taking it from the fingers of an ambitious reporter or news source that simply cited a single sentence from a lengthy conversation. But again, we come back to PR and that it just shouldn't have been mentioned at all.

At the very least, we should expect to get some more effort in that area from coaches and staff if they weren't already doing their best work. I know if it were me in their positions I'd want to change his mind about the job I do.

Go Pokes!

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
how come we never hear any other schools saying, "man, wish our AD had the balls to throw the HC under the bus publicly." doesn't happen anywhere else........ you're obviously a Holder fan and that's cool, but com'on man. you really think Holder is helping the situation?

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I don't think people who are ignorant to the entire dialogue would be as appalled if they heard it with their own ears, instead of taking it from the fingers of an ambitious reporter or news source that simply cited a single sentence from a lengthy conversation. But again, we come back to PR and that it just shouldn't have been mentioned at all.

At the very least, we should expect to get some more effort in that area from coaches and staff if they weren't already doing their best work. I know if it were me in their positions I'd want to change his mind about the job I do.

Go Pokes!
he statements weren't cited, they were recorded and played on podcast.............. so people did hear it w/ their own ears

Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA

Go Pokes!
he statements weren't cited, they were recorded and played on podcast.............. so people did hear it w/ their own ears
Yes they were. The part that was most jaw dropping was taken out of context and splattered in between quotation marks across the sports media outlets. That to me would be citing the juicy part in the purgatory of sports time for some extra clicks. No fault of the media's, they've done it for years, but rarely have I seen, "Here's where the source is, go check it out yourself".

Go Pokes!

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
how come we never hear any other schools saying, "man, wish our AD had the balls to throw the HC under the bus publicly." doesn't happen anywhere else........ you're obviously a Holder fan and that's cool, but com'on man. you really think Holder is helping the situation?
No, it didn't help. Shouldn't have said it. But it falls under the no big deal category to me. It didn't really qualify as throwing him under the bus.

I'm not Holder's biggest cheer leader, but it's getting hard to bash the guy as more and more facilities get built.

In coaching people on my job I've often noticed conversations go along these lines:

ME: "You are good at A, you are really great at B, you need to work on C a little bit and I love your improvement in D."

Then I hear back that the employee came away with "He said I sucked at C".

Last edited:

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Do you really think gundy helped the situation? Trying to interview at other schools and playing ou like a coward?

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
No, it didn't help. Shouldn't have said it. But it falls under the no big deal category to me. It didn't really qualify as throwing him under the bus.

I'm not Holder's biggest cheer leader, but it's getting hard to bash the guy as more and more facilities get built.

In coaching people on my job I've often noticed conversations go along these lines:

ME: "You are good at A, you are really great at B, you need to work on C a little bit and I love your improvement in D."

Then I hear back that the employee came away with "He said I sucked at C".
ok, but not knowing you, I assume you aren't in the spot light to near the level of Holder. I'm also going to assume that you don't get on a public forum and criticize your employees. all i'm saying is there are much better ways to handle the situation - probably the same way you discuss and review w/ your employees......

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Go Pokes!

Go Pokes!
as far as I'm concerned it looks like Josh Henson is doing his job and if nothing else, I think we'll see this season with great clarity the way the cupboard was bare when Wickline left.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA

Go Pokes!

Go Pokes!
as far as I'm concerned it looks like Josh Henson is doing his job and if nothing else, I think we'll see this season with great clarity the way the cupboard was bare when Wickline left.

This may not be the thread for it, but:

The coaches are all doing their jobs regarding recruiting, save for maybe Wozniak. He has yet to land a RB. I'm not sure why Henson gets so aggrandized. I get that the o-line has been a weak point in the recent past, but just because he's getting his group to the level of others doesn't mean he's any better than the rest of the coaches. I'm looking at this objectively I guess. I understand if people might lean towards him doing a better job than others because he's an alum, but if we're being honest with ourselves I think quality of players he's been getting is what we should have. The quality difference in recent years has just set himself apart from the other coaches due to how sustained the other groups have been.

Go Pokes!

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Go Pokes!

Go Pokes!

This may not be the thread for it, but:

The coaches are all doing their jobs regarding recruiting, save for maybe Wozniak. He has yet to land a RB. I'm not sure why Henson gets so aggrandized. I get that the o-line has been a weak point in the recent past, but just because he's getting his group to the level of others doesn't mean he's any better than the rest of the coaches. I'm looking at this objectively I guess. I understand if people might lean towards him doing a better job than others because he's an alum, but if we're being honest with ourselves I think quality of players he's been getting is what we should have. The quality difference in recent years has just set himself apart from the other coaches due to how sustained the other groups have been.

Go Pokes!
It stands out to me because there were people defending Wickline at being such a great recruiter when he left. He was a shmuck and was not doing his job and the last several years our o line has suffered because of how he left it and with a better line we could have been a better team I believe. Least guy didn't get it done either and i think Gundy have him at least 1 year too many. So it'll be nice to see the improvement finally.