1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Homeowner’s Association Sues Returning Army Vet Over Backyard Swing Set

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by Krali, May 3, 2012.

1. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

Again, anectdotes don't prove a general rule. Most of those violations, while maybe a little anal, are what the homeowner was provided notice to, and the homeowner agreed to.

Again, HOA is a contract. Don't like the terms, don't sign it. If you didn't read the terms, then don't be surprised. Many other HOAs operate completely normally. I stand by my original statement: HOAs are not bad things or good things. They are just "things." People get all in a huff when the HOA tries to enforce compliance of the covenant against them, but those same homeowners also expect and in many cases demand, the HOA to enforce covenants against others.

H2Orange and steross like this.
  2. Krali

Krali Cowboy

So what position on your HOA board do you fill?

3. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

I don't. Nor do I have the time.
    I read the covenant when looking to buy my home, to determine how reasonable it was.
    I follow the procedures of my HOA when implementing any changes to my home.
    I have not had any incident.

An HOA is a contractual relationship. There is nothing good or bad about them. Just abide by the terms of the contract, which you agreed to, and you will more than likely be fine. Its pretty simple.

After living next to the Urban Chicken Lady, I think the trade off of the covenant is worth it.

4. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Federal Marshal

Huh, so the HOA can file a lien after an owner is $2,500 in arrears but the government waits until they are almost $200k in the hole. Sounds to me like the HOA is trying to limit it's losses since they realize taxpayers won't be required to bail them out like the banks are. Damned HOA's, trying to make a profit. If I have misinterpreted your point then let me know. By the way, I'm sure there are good HOAs and bad, I live with one and I've had few problems and it appears mine only works to keep all property in good shape. My dues pay for complete lawn care, new paint every two years and a new roof if weather damages it. It's certainly worth what I pay.

5. JTB1897

JTB1897 Cowboy

HOA's are for-profit entities?

6. osupride97

osupride97 Ambassador of Quan A/V Subscriber

Ours is not

7. Philranger

Philranger Territorial Marshal

So I have a question regarding HOA membership, and here seems the place. Let's say you buy a house in a new and growing neighborhood. If you buy and own the house before an HOA is formed can the new HOA force you to join when it does form?

8. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Federal Marshal

They have staff so I assume they are taking a cut of everyone's dues. And maybe that wasn't the best way to say it, point was they don't just ignore non payment until it is exorbitant and the entire complex is at risk due to non payment by many. I know one owner who has not paid dues in over 2 years...they have not kicked em out but they sure as hell won't be able to sell unless they are current.

9. osupride97

osupride97 Ambassador of Quan A/V Subscriber

So why not just abide by the bylaws and not have to worry a thing about your home being foreclosed on? All of the rules are clearly stated, in my HOA, and I would bet every other one of them. My HOA sends out warning letters first, then if you continue to disobey, you will get fined. We have several homeowners who refuse to pay their monthly dues. So, you think that's ok? The rest of us are paying, but we should pay theirs for them, in your opinion? What should we do in those cases?

10. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

That is a very interesting question. I don't know, but I don't see that HOA being that successful unless they could either compel pre-existing owners or somehow work the covenant into the next buyer. So my guess would be probably not unless they had close to 100% participation.

11. Krali

Krali Cowboy

***I am not a lawyer and am talking out of my rear end on this part ** I would think that it depends on your own unique situation. Did you sign anything when you bought the house saying that you would join an HOA if one is formed? It would probably be something called covenents, conditions and restrictions. If so you're probably HOA bound. If not I would think that you are probably in the clear. But I would advise you to contact an attorney for a consult rather than trusting anything you read on a messageboard. We are all full of :poo: here. ***Again I am not a lawyer and am talking out of my rear end on this part***

12. Philranger

Philranger Territorial Marshal

Lol it's just a hypothetical question satisfy my curiostiy. I live in an apartment so I have worse things than an HOA running amok to worry about! OP would be the next to last place I'd go for legal advice (landthieves being the last).

13. steross

steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop A/V Subscriber

QFT. Until someone starts trying to put HOAs in all neighborhoods or ban them from any neighborhoods what is the reason for all the strife? You know the risk and benefit before you buy with or without. HOA you risk being told that your shrubs should be 2 in number and between 2 and 3 feet high at all times. And without, you might find that your neighbor decided to install a bright yellow front yard above ground pool complete with a 12 foot purple slide inches from the property line. Your choice which is more concerning to you, as it should be.

sc5mu93, zachya, State and 1 other person like this.
  14. orangebullet

orangebullet Sheriff

I think the issue is also that most people would appreciate a little humanity with their jack-boots. If their 2-in-number shrubs might reproduce to be 3 or 4 and is kept tidy, then they would appreciate some leeway for a month or so. Leeway seems to be quite problematic for HOAs.

15. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession. A/V Subscriber

Your neighbors are somehow jack-booted Nazis? Good lord do you not understand HOAs.

No one is holding a gun at your head forcing you into a neighborhood with an HOA. And HOA's are not about jack-booted yard Nazis. They are about trying to preserve property values within the association. If "leeway" is what you want then go live somewhere without an HOA where the people don't care how much you trash your yard and destroy the value of their property. Good grief.

sc5mu93 and osupride97 like this.