How is OSU football gonna work...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
I didn't miss the fact that Notre Dame, Michigan State, and UNC have all suspended in-person classes.
If large school HS football can make it work, what is the difference that college football cannot?

Both have lots of players, lots of coaches, students in class, playing teams from other areas, etc.
College football players should actually have a big advantage over large school HS football players. They should have easier access to medical personnel, assuming more testing, and can more readily isolate from others.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Football players would actually be much safer on campus if regular students get sent home. I'm not sure if university presidents and athletic directors will allow that to happen though.

There's no doubt that there will be games postponed due to positive tests, but hopefully the built-in bye weeks will allow most games to be rescheduled instead of cancelled.

It's very possible that attendance could go to zero if things get worse, but I don't see Big 12 states tightening restrictions so much that football can't be played. That could happen in the ACC though.

College football may never happen this year, but I'll hope for the best. At least the numbers have been trending in the right direction over the past few weeks. Hopefully that doesn't change with schools reopening.

View attachment 85123
University goes broke if it's not charging room and board though.
Kind of a problem with the universities becoming the biggest landlords in the state instead of letting local residents make money.

Aug 7, 2006
I would certainly hope so. But how do you know? And if you know, do you know the plans? And if you know the plans, why not tell us?

Or are you just poppin off? Or are you just wanting to make a pointless point?

Nonetheless, I’m trying to stimulate a discussion. You’re no help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know the answers and I would bet nobody else on here does either. However, common sense would suggest that the university and conference leaders have already thought of all of this and have plans in place should they occur. So, unless one of them is posting here, you're probably not going to get your questions answered. You're only going to get guesses.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
If large school HS football can make it work, what is the difference that college football cannot?

Both have lots of players, lots of coaches, students in class, playing teams from other areas, etc.
College football players should actually have a big advantage over large school HS football players. They should have easier access to medical personnel, assuming more testing, and can more readily isolate from others.
OSU's PiPhi's are hotter than any high school girls. At least they were in the late 90s :D

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I would certainly hope so. But how do you know? And if you know, do you know the plans? And if you know the plans, why not tell us?

Or are you just poppin off? Or are you just wanting to make a pointless point?

Nonetheless, I’m trying to stimulate a discussion. You’re no help.

I don't know the answers and I would bet nobody else on here does either. However, common sense would suggest that the university and conference leaders have already thought of all of this and have plans in place should they occur. So, unless one of them is posting here, you're probably not going to get your questions answered. You're only going to get guesses.
Duh, to common sense.
Duh, they’re not going to post here.

I’ll reiterate. I was trying to stimulate discussion with a set of what ifs.

I guess the other posters get it.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I don't think fans is a good idea;

I do think there will be 10% capacity fans; And I am assuming most of them will be luxury boxes.
Most schools that have announced have said 25%, I'm guessing we would allow at least that. Depending on how many students they let in and how many folks opt out, I'm hoping that puts me at about 50/50 on whether I get in.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Most schools that have announced have said 25%, I'm guessing we would allow at least that. Depending on how many students they let in and how many folks opt out, I'm hoping that puts me at about 50/50 on whether I get in.
I don't understand how that can work.

South Korea just went from 10% to 25% for baseball and they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Oklahoma.
There are more deaths and active cases in Oklahoma's 4 million people than South Korea's 50 million people.

South Korea has also dealt with respiratory airborne diseases pretty often.

Mar 11, 2006

South Korea just went from 10% to 25% for baseball and they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Oklahoma.
There are more deaths and active cases in Oklahoma's 4 million people than South Korea's 50 million people.

OU has said 25%, my assumption is they might announce close to that. I would think 15k people could be spaced out well in the stadium.

Also remember that people that are older or are vulnerable can easily opt out. I think it is fair to say the average age of fans in the stadium will be younger than previous years.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Seems fairly simple to me, but will require some effort on the part of facilities to set up and enforce. Just allow ~20% capacity, allow only groups of up to 10 or so (family and/or friends only), rope off clusters of seats so that groups are forced to sit 20' apart, or however the math works out to enable 20% of capacity, while keeping groups at a safe distance. Use ushers to take groups to their seats, allow only so many folks in the restrooms at a time, and floor markers to keep people social distanced while in concession lines. Pretty much what they're doing in supermarkets and churches.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I went to a HS graduation a few months ago.
Sit in every other row
No more than 8 in series
used the entire venue
Wore masks

Actually worked pretty well .... until it was over and they had no plan for that. So a couple thousand people all got up and left at once!

if they had left like we exit an airplane, would have been a success

hobo35

Greenhorn
Nov 29, 2013

What is it with your fascination with South Korea?

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Seems fairly simple to me, but will require some effort on the part of facilities to set up and enforce. Just allow ~20% capacity, allow only groups of up to 10 or so (family and/or friends only), rope off clusters of seats so that groups are forced to sit 20' apart, or however the math works out to enable 20% of capacity, while keeping groups at a safe distance. Use ushers to take groups to their seats, allow only so many folks in the restrooms at a time, and floor markers to keep people social distanced while in concession lines. Pretty much what they're doing in supermarkets and churches.
Have you ever seen Sooner fans in person?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
These are the same conference leaders that let Texas A&M and Nebraska escape to other conferences and nearly ended the Big XII? Excuse me if I'm skeptical about their backup plans.