1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

How Many Paul Supporters Will Switch To Obama?

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by Erick, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber OrangeAggie Forgive me if I don't shake hands.

I voted for Ron Paul and Obama is the last person I'd consider voting for in the Presidential election. His views are about as polar opposite from mine as you can get.
  2. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

If you are a 1 issue voter then Obama would be your logical choice.
  3. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Cowboy

As a Democrat, I think that Ron Paul would probably be the best bet, as an independent, if Obama were to take the party.

I'm not so sure that America is ready for a minority president. Unfortunately, I feel there would be a huge clash between races if Obama were elected. When you have the backing of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, I'm extremely concerned with the majority race because of the hatred spewed out by these two clowns. I would hate to see that happen nationally.

This is why I voted for Hillary in the primary and we'll see what happens at the Conventions.
  4. SoCalPoke

SoCalPoke Cowboy

For me, even though I tend to align with the republican party, I just can't get that excited about McCain. And I do from time to time vote for Democrats if I feel there beliefs align a little bit better with mine especially during the hey day of the late nineties where it seemed that every candidate sat squarely in the middle on every issue.

It is a shame that when the franchise of the presidency is in desparate need of a reboot we can't seem to find an pool of candidates that I can get excited about. Or maybe I just feel that no matter who gets in it won't really matter until there second term because Iraq, our Foreign Policy, Healthcare, and the greater Economy are going to take years to fix not months.

I feel like just voting for Obama so that we break the 20 year cycle of a Bush or a Clinton holding the highest seat in the land. But voting on that premise alone is a little shallow and irresponsible. Like giving the dems control of congress just for the sake of something different. That didn't really work out - we are still in Iraq and the economy isn't great not horrible but not great. But it wasn't like the republicans were knocking it out of the park either.

Can I be anymore indecisive?
  5. PhiloBeddoe

PhiloBeddoe Greenhorn

I completely agree.I can only hope the majority of Americans can see the bigger picture.I was happy to see that my fellow Oklahomans realize that there is much more than one issue at stake and voted for McCain on the Republican side and Hillary on the Democratic side.
  6. kaje

A/V Subscriber kaje Let's Go Heat!

That has nothing to do with his assumption that I meant our military killed a million people. It's simply cause and effect. You start a war -> a lot of people die. Would those million Iraqis be dead if the US didn't invade? Of course not.

Compared to making bold faced lies about me to make a completely unrelated point? Yeah, that isn't insulting. He was obviously trying to play the "It's not the US's fault for this war" tune at my expense.
  7. OKCPoke

OKCPoke Cowboy

Interesting that all these people are dead due to the US...could these deaths be more closely related to terrorist bombings in village squares, terrorists hold up in mosques, or God forbid anyone mention that Sadam executed and gased hundreds of thousands...interesting the people still alive are now supporting the troops to try to rid their neighborhoods of these scum. Nah, blame Bush...it's easier.
  8. PhiloBeddoe

PhiloBeddoe Greenhorn

I liked Obama`s charisma and his ability to speak well long before he became mainstream,but anyone speaking like a preacher is a major turn off for me.I can only assume he was pandering to California`s large cultural and minority diversity?
  9. PhiloBeddoe

PhiloBeddoe Greenhorn

Exactly.No matter where the candidate stands on the war,we will be in Iraq for awhile,no matter who gets elected President.
  10. kaje

Please post the casualty count of the violent acts that took place during the 5 years prior to the US-led invasion when al Qaeda bombed village squares and held up mosques. No point trying to slip Saddam into your argument. He didn't gas anyone in that one million plus casualty count.

Oh really?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721.html
  11. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Cowboy

IMHO, Obama is the Anti-Paul. I took a political test. I was 75% Paul (my highest by a good margin) and like 17% Obama (my lowest). I don't see why any Paul supporter would go to Obama.
  12. PhiloBeddoe

PhiloBeddoe Greenhorn

I used to be a huge fan of McCain also,but he is starting to lose me on his foreign policy.Once again,we are down to not voting for the best candidate,but simply voting for the lesser of two evils.
  13. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

"Please post the casualty count of the violent acts that took place during the 5 years prior to the US-led invasion when al Qaeda bombed village squares and held up mosques. No point trying to slip Saddam into your argument. He didn't gas anyone in that one million plus casualty count."

Kaje, please tell me you are not this naive', please tell me you don't honestly believe that Sadaam would actually report all the people he murdered, pre-invasion. Sorry but I just lost what respect I had for your intelligence. Time to take the Ron Paul blinders off and rejoin the real world my man.
  14. kaje

Oh, I'm sorry. Please show me the reports of a million Iraqi bodies found in mass graves that show to have been buried in the past 5 years. :rolleyes:
  15. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gem├╝tlichkeit

Exactly my point.
  16. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Cowboy

Here ya go bro. I'm not taking a side in this debate, but you asked for it so you get it. It's not a million, but the numbers in these articles are around a 250k to 400k.

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/27000.htm
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/05/world/middleeast/05grave.html
    http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/legacyofterror.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,102568,00.html
  17. OKCPoke

OKCPoke Cowboy

Prior to the invasion, there was no war where the US was involved.. All the casualties listed below were due to his brutal regime.
    1990-1991
    About 25,000 Iraqi troops are thought to have died in the seven-month Gulf War, which began when US-led forces entered Iraq following Saddam's invasion of Kuwait on August 2, 1990. Estimates of Iraqi civilian deaths have varied wildly - up to 200,000. The coalition death toll was 378 and many troops suffered from the unexplained "Gulf War syndrome".

Tens of thousands were killed as Saddam attempted to put down a popular rebellion following his defeat by the US-led forces in February 1991. More than 100,000 Shias were killed; a similar number of Kurds died. About 200,000 Marsh Arabs were killed or made homeless.

1993-1998
    About 3,000 prisoners were machine-gunned to death at Mahjar prison in central Baghdad

And he did gas thousands of Kurds.
    1978-1979
    Up to 7,000 Iraqi communists were executed by orders of the Ba'athist regime.

The specific atrocity for which Saddam was hanged: 148 Shias were murdered in the village of Dujail.

Up to 4,000 political prisoners in Abu Ghraib jail were tortured and killed. Saddam's favoured methods of torture included cutting off genitalia, gouging out eyes and acid baths.

1980-1988
    Some 1.7m died on both sides during the Iran-Iraq war, started by Saddam.

1987-1989
    At least 100,000 Kurds were slaughtered in the so-called Anfal campaign. Some were gassed, others cast alive into mass graves.

On March 16, in the worst single atrocity of the Anfal campaign, 5,000 Kurds were killed when Saddam ordered planes to drop a mixture of mustard gas and the nerve agent sarin on the town of Halabja.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?menuID=1&subID=1008
    Since the invasion, terrorist bombers ahve done their fair share of killing civilians...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7223769.stm

Oh really?
    Yeh, really.

You will eventually grow up and learn that sticking your head in the sand (RP) is not a good alternative to addressing the injustice in the world. This is an unpopular war and has been expensive in terms of loss of life and expense to the US taxpayers but your use of hindsight is 20/20 is old hat and easy. Everyone that is now whining about it now that had a chance to dispute it during the time it was originally addressed agreed with Bush.
    The only thing I regret is taking you off ignore, pull your head out.
  18. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

19. OKCPoke

OKCPoke Cowboy

Don't confuse Kaje with the facts...it's embarrassing and he's already shown he's too big a weinie to admit he's wrong. These figures are PRE WAR!
    Wars have a tendency to cause casualties, pre war should not.
  20. Roman Craig

A/V Subscriber Roman Craig Race Ya Home!

Kaje = toast. Cue Kaje changing the subject of the argument to seem right in 5.....4.....3......2........1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.