1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

How Many Paul Supporters Will Switch To Obama?

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by Erick, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaje

kaje Let's Go Heat! A/V Subscriber

I said 5 years prior to the Iraq war. If you're not sure what years that was, it was 1998-2003. You posted stuff dating back to 1988. Maybe those numbers will be relevant to the discussion if McCain gets elected and we're discussing the Iraq war casualties in 2018. As it stands, we've been in Iraq for 5 years. The only number you have concerning any mass killings prior to the Iraq war is:

1993-1998: About 3,000 prisoners were machine-gunned to death at Mahjar prison in central Baghdad

and that isn't 5 years prior, that's 5-10 years prior.

I'm not arguing that Saddam's rule was rainbows and butterflies or defending Saddam's actions like some of you are attacking me for, I'm arguing that the war we started has been more costly to human life than what it was after the Gulf War and prior to the Iraq war that we started in 2003.

By the way, I thought you didn't read what I posted or respond to me? :rolleyes:

2. Roman Craig

Roman Craig Race Ya Home! A/V Subscriber

Wow. All I can say is wow.

3. lewis the pike

lewis the pike Banned Banned

If Ron Paul doesn't win the GOP nomination, and does not run as a third party candidate. I would consider voting for Obama or slightly possibly Huckabee.

If Bloomberg or Gore run, I will look at their platforms also.

The important thing is to keep an open mind.

4. osupistolwhip

osupistolwhip Deputy

Actually Obama and Paul line up on a few key issues.

The war obviously.

They also support several social libertarian issues

e.g.
    repeal of the Patriot Act
    legalization/decriminalization of Marijuana

If you will look at Paul's supporters it is primarily two groups of people. He does have supporters on the far far right, traditional economic conservatives or radical fringe groups.

However he also has a strong contingent of college students and young people. To them, the social freedoms are equally if not more important than the economic principles. I wouldn't be surprised to see many of them vote Obama over McCain.

I know plenty of hippies and pot heads (in OK and other places) who switched over from being registered as Independents (libertarians) so they could vote for Obama in the primary.

5. FrankStallone83

FrankStallone83 Sheriff

I don't think it's that far fetched. I am for smaller government, more personal freedoms, and getting out of Iraq. imo: Paul = 3/3, Obama 2/3, current GOP = 0/3.

6. OKCPoke

OKCPoke Territorial Marshal

Pathetic...this guy killed hundreds of thousands of his own people but because there is nothing listed as "5 years" prior to the invasion you seem to think he was Santa Claus...yeh, you are defending Sadam as a reason we went in. I never said the war wasn't costly, in fact I just said it again...but hind sight is 20/20, the weanies way out as most of those that oppose Bush NOW say, this after publicly agreeing that what Bush did needed to be done at the time. You don't like me reading your stuff because I point out where you are wrong, maybe if you'd admit it I'd quit reading them.

7. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Territorial Marshal

See...I just don't get this thinking. How can someone consider polar opposite candidates? Their positions are 180 degrees apart. How can that be?
    In my way of thinking.....you add up the pros and cons of each candidate and vote for the most "pros" on your side. Not every candidate is going to share our exact positions on issues. I understand that. Now I also understand there might be some of us who have "litmus test" positions....OK....but to say I'm a Ron Paul supporter and then potentially back the most liberal democrat in the race before a fellow republican, I'm perplexed.

They way I see the race shaping up is it's between McCain and Clinton/ Obama. I STILL see this race as the democrats to lose but I'm beginning to think more and more that McCain has a chance, especially with his strong independent pull. If RP runs as an independent....forget McCain and give it to Clinton or Obama.

I never would have considered McCain before but he's the republican's choice and I'll vote for him in the general. I'd NEVER cast a vote for democrat as long as they run on a platform of "right to choose", as that's my "litmus" test in a politician.

8. kaje

Where did I say he was Santa Claus? Your argument holds no bearing when you're blatantly misquoting people and I won't even offer a response to your ignorance until you can start arguing with substance rather than crap you're pulling out of your rear. Go argue with your boyfriend, KCPowercat. Oh, yeah. He's banned. You must want to kill yourself now at the fact you have nothing else to do all day, huh?

9. Slugger926

Slugger926 Territorial Marshal

They will have to go with McCain or Huckabee or whoever the GOP puts up.

All of the democrats are against gun rights which means they are against the constitution and you defending yourself against threat. They may want the government to come in and do a report on your corpse after you were denied your right to defend yourself. Remember, Hitler first took the guns away from the Germans before taking the rest of their rights away.

10. Aviation09

Aviation09 Sheriff

BUSH LIED. Are you that thick? People agreed with Bush because HE WAS LYING. If he had stood up and said, "Iraq doesn't have WMDs! They are not supporting Al Qaeda!", do you think people would still have agreed with him? Seriously, COME ON. Saddam was horrible, absolutely. Saddam was also the leader of Iraq, which is a sovereign nation where we have NO BUSINESS BESIDES OIL.

11. Roman Craig

LOL. Kaje, you got called out and lost your argument, now you start the personal attacks. Who would have seen this coming?:rolleyes:

12. kaje

Sorry, I don't vote on political parties. I'm an American first.

13. Roman Craig

No because that would have been the lie. Bush wasn't the only person who saw intelligence. Hillary gets to see it too, along with a lot of Pentagon employees. Bush didn't lie, people like Hillary who said they don't exist are lying for political gain. Sad part is she knows its a lie and there is nothing Bush can or will do about it because it is classified information.

14. kaje

You don't even offer anything to the discussion. You rely on people to make arguments for you so that you can come in and post your moral support. Why don't you actually take part in one before criticizing anyone for winning or losing an argument. And I'm tired of arguing about things I didn't say (what the stupid argument started over with State's amazing reading comprehension).

15. Aviation09

Aviation09 Sheriff

Look, Roman Craig comes riding in on the coattails of someone else's argument to get his lame duck shots in. Who would have seen this coming :rolleyes:

16. kaje

Yeah, everyone else got to see the intelligence after the White House cut and snipped out any information that proved the information they were providing may be incorrect. If you think members of Congress have access to the same information that the CIA/FBI provides to the President, I'm going to LOL.

17. OKCPoke

Laughable, you really are pathetic. Step out of your ballerina suit and quit ignoring the stats that have already been shown. Boyfriend...obviously you're boxed into that corner called wrong again so you call names. If I want to find something to correct, I just need to pull up any of your posts, they are consistantly wrong. Grow up little one.

18. ostatedan

ostatedan Sheriff

I tend to agree, but I think that McCain's tough war rhetoric is political speech. What I like about McCain is that he's very even headed and thoughtful about tough issues like the war. I don't agree with his tough pro-war stance, but I think if he were in office, he would find a way to resolve the situation much much better than Bush is. I don't think he'll be stuborn about "winning" the war and he definitely won't be the type to try and turn every dictatorship into a democracy.

I back Obama though. I think he's the best man to unite the country and bring something different to Washington than business as usual. If the general election is Clinton-McCain, however, I will vote for McCain, even though I'm a democrat. Clinton is too divisive and republicans will never be able to work with her to get things done. McCain has proven he can reach across the aisle and get things done.

19. Aviation09

Aviation09 Sheriff

Then there were all of our European allies questioning and eventually disagreeing with the motives of the Bush administration.

But really, who the hell needs allies?

20. OKCPoke

Ah, the old conspiracy dodge...face the facts quoted, you're wrong...again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.