How Totalitarianism Arrives

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Wait... corporations have freedom of speech? Corporations are people? You agree with Citizens United?
No, but if the Supreme Court ruling says that corporations have free speech, like people, then corporations have free speech. So free speech also means corporations buying all of it they can to push their agendas. No doubt conservatives pretty strongly agree with the Supreme Court. But then they don't like that it also means labor unions can buy free speech.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
No, but if the Supreme Court ruling says that corporations have free speech, like people, then corporations have free speech. So free speech also means corporations buying all of it they can to push their agendas. No doubt conservatives pretty strongly agree with the Supreme Court. But then they don't like taht it also means labor unions can buy free speech.
I have no problem with labor unions having free speech as long as management also has free speech. If everyone is free that is the best way.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
No, but if the Supreme Court ruling says that corporations have free speech, like people, then corporations have free speech. So free speech also means corporations buying all of it they can to push their agendas. No doubt conservatives pretty strongly agree with the Supreme Court. But then they don't like taht it also means labor unions can buy free speech.
Riddle me this. If you believe the 1st amendment does not apply to corporations then how do you come to grips with the fact that most of the press is owned by corporations? How is a multi billion dollar company buying a 30 second commercial any different than that same company buying a newspaper?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Riddle me this. If you believe the 1st amendment does not apply to corporations then how do you come to grips with the fact that most of the press is owned by corporations? How is a multi billion dollar company buying a 30 second commercial any different than that same company buying a newspaper?
"We're special corporations."
-- New York Times

They actually said that.