1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

I didn't see this coming..........(Fan support)

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by orange74, Jul 31, 2012.

1. orange74

orange74 Deputy

Over the years, I've enjoyed seeing the mulleted, three -toothed sooner fans and using the usual terms to describe them.

I just never considered the fact that our success would foster support from those same awesome, grassroots, Okies. (Yes, they look different to me now. Amazing how our 'marks' make a person look so much more intelligent.) I guess if I'd ever thought about it much, I would have known it would follow the natural sports evolution of success being a fan magnet, but I just hadn't considered it. And all of a sudden I'm seeing the Wally isles full of proud, orange wearing, salt of the earth, loyal fans.

So here's to welcoming all those lovely folks back from the dark side!

Jonathangpark, jdennis095 and OSU79 like this.
  2. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Territorial Marshal

After Bedlam and especially the Fiesta Bowl last season, I could have sworn I saw a noticeable increase in Orange attire wherever I looked. And this was when I used to live in LAWTON. I'm sure it was even moreso in OKC and Tulsa.

3. moorepoke66

moorepoke66 Cowboy

Definitely, every nook and cranny....even more Orange Thunder Shirts and Flags.
    Go Pokes!

4. Jonathangpark

Jonathangpark Cowboy

I've noticed this. It seemed everyone was wearing a bright new orange shirt and hat after the fiesta bowl. Previous to this, OKC was mulling with Sooner fans. I hope they don't make us look as bad as they have the Sooners in previous years but I do appreciate their dollars circulating back to the old Alma mater. Go Pokes!

5. EmptySeat

EmptySeat Sheriff

The last ten years, the Tulsa area has trended OSU. Not that we are the majority here (we are probably not), but we are significantly better represented. Lots of young, bright families wearing OSU garb around.

My perception is that OSU has grown a lot in Tulsa fan support, but less in OKC. OKC posters could probably tell us better about that.

I was wearing an OSU polo a couple of weeks ago, and one of those "toothless" types spotted me in a convenience store. He made a comment about it going back to normal this year or something. It would never occur to me to accost some random OU fan and spout off, but I've seen it happen several times from the other direction. Hopefully OSU's new generation of fans don't act this way.

cowboyethics344 likes this.
  6. OrangeForever

OrangeForever I'm a GREAT guy, by the way. A/V Subscriber

Wait, wait, wait... you're saying that people without allegiances by way of degrees from a given school often base their loyalties on the success of athletics teams?

I, for one, am shocked.

;)

7. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Territorial Marshal

I always thought Tulsa had a more visible OSU fanbase given its geographic proximity to Stillwater. Norman is closer to OKC.

8. Philranger

Philranger Territorial Marshal

It may be that way in Tulsa proper, but here in Owasso, it's a lot like the rest of the state. Probably 70-30 OU-OSU.

9. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

This will start changing their mind.

OSU 2nd
    OU 4th

OSU and OU tied for first

OSU 1st
    OU 4th

10. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

I think we are making some conceited generalizations here. Might want to check the anti t shirt fan argument at the door. Sucess brings fans of all kinds and I for one accept anyone who wants to support OSU.

11. McalPoke

McalPoke Territorial Marshal

I was checking out at the grocery store one day last week wearing an OSU shirt. The kid bagging my groceries said to the girl at the cash register, "Can we ban some people from shopping in here?". I ignored him, thanked the cashier, tossed the kid my change (about 60 cents), thanked him for bagging my groceries, then said "44-10" as I walked past him and out the store. Now I always make sure to go to the line where he's bagging.

But back to the thrust of the thread. Not seeing much of a difference between OU and OSU stuff displayed down here. But then, we have a lot of toothless meth heads that get their clothes from the thrift stores. The biggest swing toward OSU was probably about 3 years ago when the writing was on the wall.

NYC Poke likes this.
  12. 65POKE

65POKE Deputy

I am sure there are a ton of ou alums in Houston, but I can't remember the last time I ran in to one. On the other hand I have run into pokes in the grocery store twice lately, at the pharmacy, and a young cowgirl pulled up next to me at a red light, and she had an OSU sticker on her car. I honked, waved my hat, and we did the pistols firing at the light. I walked into another drug store and the young man behind the counter saw my hat from a distance and said go cowboys. It's good to be a cowboy! :pistols:

13. Functianalyst

Functianalyst Deputy

That's true. I see far more crimson than orange, especially in the suburbs of Tulsa. However if you go to rural areas, I tend to see more orange in northeast Oklahoma. Go Pokes!

14. DatTallGuy

DatTallGuy Cowboy

I have a lot of friends in the Tulsa and Tahlequah area. The ones that live closer to Tulsa are almost all OSU alumni/fans, but the ones closer to Tahlequah tend to have OU allegiances. It is interesting how much change goes on in that short of a span.

15. colin1497

colin1497 Never throw the Venus in the Spider 3 Y Banana! A/V Subscriber

An OSU sticker on your car doesn't mean you're smart, it only means you're marginally smarter than you would have been if you'd picked an OU sticker.

16. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

Countdown to thread being moved to b&f

17. EmptySeat

EmptySeat Sheriff

Broken Arrow is the exact opposite. Tons of OSU people here. I don't know if it's OSU majority, but it is very close if not.

18. Canadian Co Cowboy

Canadian Co Cowboy Wrangler

I've never lived in T town but I was watching bedlam baseball that was being played up there a few years back and the announcer said that OSU grads outnumbered ou and tu grads combined in Tulsa.

19. Kramer

Kramer Deputy

I have seen an upswing in OSU apparel both on people and in stores in OKC. I will say that I probably see more people wearing Thunder stuff in OKC than either OSU or OU, or at least recently.

20. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

Don't goto the QT in Sand Springs on the way up to stillwater. It is litter with loudmouth toothless OU supporters!