Ice Storm

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
You can't buy Bradford Pears anymore. The new version are Cleveland Pears. Look the same, grow fast but stay a little tighter and don't have the same problems.

They do smell the same in spring though.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Now they’re saying wind gusts up to 50mph tonight. SMH
Man, this scares the hell out of me. My 50 foot sycamore sits about 30 feet north of my house. Luckily yesterday, limbs came straight down and all missed the house. I know there are many more broken limbs still up there resting on others, this may throw them all onto my house. This storm system is a massive kick in the balls.

Good news is, my power just came back on in SE Edmond. Hopefully that wind doesn't take it back out.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
You can't buy Bradford Pears anymore. The new version are Cleveland Pears. Look the same, grow fast but stay a little tighter and don't have the same problems.

They do smell the same in spring though.
All Callery pears, just different cultivars. I suspect it would have the same issues, weak wood structure and invasive. The 'Cleveland' is even faster growing and taller than the 'Bradford'. As a rule of thumb, fast growing trees tend to be short-lived trees.
Better options are available. Much better options.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Just got back from doing some emergency chainsawing. I was outside for 3-4 hours and heard huge limb after huge limb after crack and fall on neighbors properties. I counted 7 or 8 transformer explosions, including the one that fed the house I was working on. This was in a few spots around the main part of town.

I think it's the leaves. Usually you get ice storms after the leaves are gone, but with the leaves covered in ice, its sooo much heavier. And then you soak the wood with hours of rain...

Got a couple big limbs hanging directly over the house that I wouldn't normally worry about, but now I don't know.

I had to swerve to avoid getting hit by a large falling limb while driving. If you ever wanted to start a tree limb mulching service, now's the time.
Yeah. Lots of leaves, pecans and acorns still on the trees. Definitely a lot of extra weight.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I remember when it hit Tulsa many years ago and going more than a week without power. I remember how eerily quiet it was with no electricity....like quieter than you ever remember before. Hope everybody gets power back soon before that feeling sets in.

I remember a bar close to my house that brought in a generator which meant heat, tv and beer. Plus the bartender brought bread and lunch meat in every evening for people. Didn't have to be open and certainty didn't have to provide free food but she did. Perhaps the only bright spot in times like this is seeing people step up to help others....good for the soul.
I still see a lot of the damaged trees from the last big one when I hit the turnpike to Tulsa.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
All Callery pears, just different cultivars. I suspect it would have the same issues, weak wood structure and invasive. The 'Cleveland' is even faster growing and taller than the 'Bradford'. As a rule of thumb, fast growing trees tend to be short-lived trees.
Better options are available. Much better options.
I planted Bradford pears on each side of my driveway 25 years ago, I knew nothing about them other than my wife liked them in the Spring. Everyone then told me how bad they were in wind or ice. We were on a bit of a hill and the wind blew all the time, we had to replace roof shingles every year. We moved out of that house in 2009, returning to the area in 2012. I still drive by the old house regularly and those 2 Bradford's are still in beautiful shape, they almost touch over the drive and are ~ 20-25 feet high. No clue why or how, and I'd never do it again.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I still see a lot of the damaged trees from the last big one when I hit the turnpike to Tulsa.

I had a tree in my front yard completely snap off half way up in that ice storm. In the spring, all the remaining lower branches sent limbs going straight up...thing looked like a candelabra. One limb on the trunk just below the break eventually became the new trunk but with a noticable kink in it. That tree reminds me of Goldblums line in jurassic park...life, uh, finds a way.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Still no electricity. No idea when it'll be back on. Generac install two years ago was a good decision IMHO. Seems like a waste except in times like these.
Sorry to hear that man. Stay warm. Hopefully you are back on by the end of the day so you don't have to go another night.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Will you in Edmond put up a shout out when power is back on please?
Again, very NW corner of Edmond... today is Day 5 with no power. :thumbdown:

And the rumor is that Edmond had a couple power substations receive substantial damage... and all of the repair parts are down south for hurricane recovery... and it may be the end of next week before parts of Edmond/OKC will see restored power. :(

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Again, very NW corner of Edmond... today is Day 5 with no power. :thumbdown:

And the rumor is that Edmond had a couple power substations receive substantial damage... and all of the repair parts are down south for hurricane recovery... and it may be the end of next week before parts of Edmond/OKC will see restored power. :(
Mom is in NW of OKC and she’s getting word that’ll be two weeks for power to come back.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Blows my mind that they don't bury power lines. I'm sure there is a reason, but it sure seems risky to hang them up in the air on poles.
My whole neighborhood has buried lines, but the lines that feed my neighborhood on Memorial are all overhead. So when those go down you're screwed anyway.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Finished my yard cleanup on Saturday and Sunday. 7 pretty large piles of limbs. Each pile would make a pretty good bonfire by themselves. My yard sure is a lot more sunny now.

It reminded me of how much I love getting out there with a chainsaw.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
The power in our office in south OKC never went down, but the shopping center around us and the traffic signal at the corner are still without power. It makes no sense why it's taking this long to restore power.