If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Except, what are they exactly? How do we help them make informed decisions when this is a new disease and we're still learning? Or do you not care if their decisions are informed?
Every single team should have a health expert explain to their players all of the known health risks associated with the virus. They should also make sure that they understand that we don't know all of the long term risks associated with this virus. After giving the players all of the pertinent information, they should be given the choice to play or sit out. I wouldn't have an issue with them making either choice.

This should probably be done for all college students that are choosing to attend classes in person instead of virtually. Everyone should understand the risks associated with the choices they make.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I didn't ask about your position, that's abundantly clear. I asked at what age are they no longer kids and you refused to answer.

I think they're adults based on everything I posted and so would most logical adults. Which means their desires for their lives, and willingness to access and accept risk, have to have more weight than Joe Blow fan's wishes for them. If they're not adults than all of those other things now need an adult stamp of approval to continue.

When do they graduate the Rx Cowboy school of life and get labeled as functional adult peers?

I am not necessarily in disagreement just curious. A later post talked about being informed so is that the new measure? They have to meet your level of informed and agree with it blindly to be considered adults?
You're arguing against informed decisions.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Again, it's one thing when you have your athletes within a fairly confined space (i.e. "bubble"). It's another thing when you add another 20k students to the campus, and yet another thing when you start traveling to games. The "bubble" then bursts and becomes non-existent.

My gut tells me that by October we're going to be sending all our students home and be back to teaching online again.
Home is where all the players who tested positive at the beginning of summer workouts got infected. And the rate was fairly staggering.

Sending them home doesn't make them safer it just shifts liability.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Every single team should have a health expert explain to their players all of the known health risks associated with the virus. They should also make sure that they understand that we don't know all of the long term risks associated with this virus. After giving the players all of the pertinent information, they should be given the choice to play or sit out. I wouldn't have an issue with them making either choice.

This should probably be done for all college students that are choosing to attend classes in person instead of virtually. Everyone should understand the risks associated with the choices they make.
At what point do you say that we just don't know enough yet?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Home is where all the players who tested positive at the beginning of summer workouts got infected. And the rate was fairly staggering.

You just might have a point. There has to be someplace safer than "home" in Oklahoma.
1597105792008.png

Like, maybe home in New Zealand.
1597105880662.png

Mar 11, 2006
Wait, so if the presidents of the universities all decide to shut it down, they're all Karens? Is that what you're saying? The university presidents should just stay out of it and just let the kids decide?
No, I was not saying Presidents are Karens.

Oct 30, 2007
At what point do you say that we just don't know enough yet?
We won't know enough for years. That's the unfortunate thing about a novel virus. All we can do is make the best decisions possible with the knowledge we do have. Shutting the world down until we know the long term effects isn't really an option though.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Fair enough. But what about all the youth that played in hundreds of games over the summer?? Those coaches, the players, the officials, the parents, the facility caretakers, etc. If we take all of P5 college football (minus full in-stadium attendance), we get only a small fraction of people compared to all the games played and practices/workouts that occurred.

Sports is sports. There is nothing magical about the virus that makes it more dangerous for college football players and officials than for club volleyball, AAU basketball, HS football players and officials. And there are MANY more of them than college football players. We are playing sports now!
Not really related to the argument but it was really nice to get out and see the TCL Drillers play some baseball this summer. Every coach, trainer, player, etc, WANTED to be there. No one forced them. It was a lot fun.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
We won't know enough for years. That's the unfortunate thing about a novel virus. All we can do is make the best decisions possible with the knowledge we do have. Shutting the world down until we know the long term effects isn't really an option though.
Well, it is an option... just a poor one

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

And then went to a protest and spread the shit out of it

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Except, what are they exactly? How do we help them make informed decisions when this is a new disease and we're still learning? Or do you not care if their decisions are informed?
But isn't that the whole problem? This IS a new disease, so the people making the decision to cancel the season aren't informed either. Nobody is really informed about this. If somebody wants to argue that that is the exact reason the season should be cancelled, then fine. But it seems wrong to say these legal adults can't play because they are not informed while claiming the people telling them they can't play are.

I'm just playing devils advocate, I personally don't expect the season to happen and my life will go on.

Mar 11, 2006
It is for some. And they’re the loudest, angriest, most condescending voices if you disagree with them. Some are that way even when you agree.
Yep. It’s odd too.

On one side you have a group that wants the college football season played this fall.
That group supports the student-athletes and their families that want to play.
That group also supports the student-athletes that want to opt-out of playing.
It’s their choice.

On another side you have a group that doesn’t want the college football season played.
That group does not support the student-athletes and their families that want to play.
It’s not their choice.