If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
The time to stop it was in Jan/Feb. However, the president was too busy calling it a hoax,

Trump put a travel ban from China in place on January 31. Dems all called him racist and xenophobic. Just to set the record straight.
And he called their treatment of him a hoax. NOT the virus. This is an easily debunked myth that is still floating around for some reason.

Apr 27, 2006
What aspect of life has guarantees? I'm not aware of any but willing to listen to those that think there are? Otherwise adults have the right and sole responsibility to live life as they see fit and enjoy the benefits of their good decisions as well as the other side of the coin.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Except, what are they exactly? How do we help them make informed decisions when this is a new disease and we're still learning? Or do you not care if their decisions are informed?
I'm not sure that's what he's getting at here, though I could be wrong. We don't know the risks and can't have players make informed decisions. You also have coaches and trainers who will have incentives to underreport and hide cases (just like other injuries and concussions), even if there are harsh punishments put in place. Where I think I disagree is that I'm not sure fully cancelling the season creates a lower transmission situation. Delaying, yes, but not cancelling. The reason is that fully cancelling will create a cascade of events where many of these and/or other athletes likely lose their scholarships and stipends (tv revenue makes up the majority of athletic budgets that provide scholarships and football is the TV cash cow, which is already a larger portion of AD revenue because stadiums will be completely or mostly empty). As others have mentioned, testing and quarantining procedures go away, as do practices. Take that together with the fact that a lot of athletes take all or mostly online classes anyway, and you have a situation where a good chunk of athletes will have to move back home with parents and little incentive to quarantine. I can't imagine how that scenario doesn't increase risk of infection. Delaying to spring, again, different scenario and probably should be our approach until we have both better data and almost certainly better treatments with a shot at a vaccine. Outright cancelling the football season would virtually collapse most athletic departments, at least for a year, and that carries a ton of extra risk, including of transmission in areas with high case loads.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
You didn't read what I posted, I am not willing to take that risk even before covid. I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. The players and staff are isolated and tested much more than any normal person. They are taking all the precautions. And college football is pure entertainment but the players see it as their opportunity for playing at the next level and probably want to play more than we want to watch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I'm not an NFL GM, but Im confident that permanent lower lung capacity would make me less likey to draft a player.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
You didn't read what I posted, I am not willing to take that risk even before covid. I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. The players and staff are isolated and tested much more than any normal person. They are taking all the precautions. And college football is pure entertainment but the players see it as their opportunity for playing at the next level and probably want to play more than we want to watch.

I'm not an NFL GM, but Im confident that permanent lower lung capacity would make me less likey to draft a player.
Where's your evidence for this occurrence? Being right, for you, is more important than allowing people to make their own decisions. You can hypothetical your way into being right but it doesn't support your argument because it is not based on evidence. Less lower lung capacity probably carries less weight than an ACL replacement in an NFL draft room and the likelihood of that happening is probably 1000 times greater than 1) being symptomatic with CV19 as a college athlete and 2) having lasting damage from the infection.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Where's your evidence for this occurrence? Being right, for you, is more important than allowing people to make their own decisions. You can hypothetical your way into being right but it doesn't support your argument because it is not based on evidence. Less lower lung capacity probably carries less weight than an ACL replacement in an NFL draft room and the likelihood of that happening is probably 1000 times greater than 1) being symptomatic with CV19 as a college athlete and 2) having lasting damage from the infection.

I talked to a comedian I know Michael Yo, that survived Covid-19. He was a like a Crossfit guy, excellent shape. And he has said he know has decreased lung capacity and will need some time to recover his endurance.

People don't just die from this. It can cause severe respriatory damage.

That's how I know.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
We’ve had a lot more games and practices occur over the summer with HS athletes throughout the nation. Many more than of all the future college games and practice combined. Where are the stories of massive problems? Am I missing them? Is CNN suddenly not wanting to cover bad stories.

Students want to play. Their parents want to play. I have two nieces that play college soccer - they want to play. I am friends with a parent of one of our starters - his whole family wants him to play. I coach a very competitive basketball team and every single one of them wants to play and their parents do as well.
If they want to participate, why do you care?

We continue having Karen’s telling others what they should do with there lives. People need to stop worrying about others and take care of themselves.

LET. THEM. PLAY. #wewanttoplay
You do know hashtags don't really work for this platform, right?

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
That's no different than other respiratory illnesses though? You of course will need time to recover. Your implication was that its a life long occurrence and that is not known.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
That's no different than other respiratory illnesses though? You of course will need time to recover. Your implication was that its a life long occurrence and that is not known.

Dude, you want to watch football. I want to watch football. I get it. It's fun. It's 3 or 4 hours to relax and enjoy some entertainment. You can see my earlier post in this thread

The problem is right now, it may not be safe. I'd rather play it safe until more unknowns are known.

It's not worth it to me. And it seems alot of schools agree with me.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma

Dude, you want to watch football. I want to watch football. I get it. It's fun. It's 3 or 4 hours to relax and enjoy some entertainment. You can see my earlier post in this thread

The problem is right now, it may not be safe. I'd rather play it safe until more unknowns are known.

It's not worth it to me. And it seems alot of schools agree with me.
It's not up to you, and thank goodness for that. I know that everyone wants to have football but to me this is a much bigger issue. People making decisions based on emotions, decisions that directly impose on the freedom we have grown up with, is a huge problem for me. Ben Franklin said those who give up liberty for security deserve neither. And I fully agree with him. So you see it as a simple football issue and I see it as a change in the way I live my life. With or without football my life will go on just fine but without freedom to make my own decisions it won't. That's why I push back on all of you that are fully right in your concerns but wrong in the complacency of allowing someone else to dictate what you can and can't do.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
It's not up to you, and thank goodness for that. I know that everyone wants to have football but to me this is a much bigger issue. People making decisions based on emotions, decisions that directly impose on the freedom we have grown up with, is a huge problem for me. Ben Franklin said those who give up liberty for security deserve neither. And I fully agree with him. So you see it as a simple football issue and I see it as a change in the way I live my life. With or without football my life will go on just fine but without freedom to make my own decisions it won't. That's why I push back on all of you that are fully right in your concerns but wrong in the complacency of allowing someone else to dictate what you can and can't do.

The security Franklin was speaking of had nothing to do with public health. That is a misapplication.

This "muh freedoms!" approach is what has brought us to the brink of canceling college football for the year. Congrats! Welll done! How free are you to watch college football once it gets canceled?

If only people had worn their damn masks.